New hopeful

Options
I’m 57, RN for 35 years, just had rotator cuff surgery, and new diagnosis of Rheumatoid arthritis or possibly Lupus. I am pre diabetic. I need to lose 70 lbs. At this time I am being considered for a Gastric Sleeve. It is a way to get weight off my joints so I can then increase my exercise. My tendons are breaking down all over my body. I have had so many tendon surgeries!
So again for the 1000th time, I start another program. This time I fight for my health.

Replies

• joey858mfp
    joey858mfp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don’t usually reply to any blogs, but I saw me staring back in your words. I’m also in the health care field. 5 years ago, when every joint in my body hurt, and my blood pressure was so high they wanted to give me more meds. I put my foot down and said “NO WAY”. I took back my life. I had Gastric Sleeve surgery in Mexico Sep 2014, at age 58. I’d like to say everything has been rosy since. 10 months later I was down 88 lbs, but that required work and change in eating. My joints loved me and went off all but one BP med. Over the years I have been careless watching my diet. I’m still way more mobile, thank goodness, and still do contract nursing. We spend 3 months ( for now) down south, and last years vacation cost me a 25lb weight gain. I’m down 15 of that gain, but seems it’s always a harder fight then the last. All I can say is stay focused, put on a “I can do this” attitude, and keep the healthy you goal in mind. I just kept saying to myself thaat my Grandkids want me around for lots more time and they want to do things WITH me. I know you can do. Stay in touch if you like, we all need moral support.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Hey good for you. It's time you put yourself first.

I will be getting my rotator cuff repaired in mid October. I can't wait to be able to use my shoulder properly again I miss doing upper body workouts because it seems most exercises are banned for me right now.

Good luck
  • ham081960
    ham081960 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just had rotator cuff surgery 9/19. Prior to hurting my shoulder I had been using MFP with much success in getting healthy. Took a spill on my bike and hurt my shoulder. Did PT for almost a year waiting for insurance to approve MRI. meanwhile I somehow developed a stress fracture in my foot so was in a boot for about a month. Downward spiral from there. Morning of rotator cuff surgery I weighed 217. I’m 5’7” and 59 y/o. I was in tears. What a smack upside the head that weight was. I’ll knew I was packing on pounds but that number was devastating. As I sit here with my arm in a brace, I’m determined to get healthy and lose this excess weight. Feels good to tracking my food and reading cause everyone’s posts. Good luck to you. Let’s fight the good fight. We’re worth it.