Best workouts for a beginner

Hi
I'm new here I've been trying to lose weight and improve my fitness levels aswell.
I've lost 11lbs so far but I've had a few bad days where I've eaten whatever and not exercised.
My main goal is like I said to improve my fitness levels but I also want to lose about 50lbs aswell.
My question is what exercises are good for beginners?
Currently I am walking alot and sometimes jogging although I can only jog for few minutes before I have to stop but I really enjoy walking/jogging and when I was younger I used to love running specially cross country running.
My thoughts where that if I start my walking and lose enough weight then I can start to incorporate more like hiit workouts aswell.
Any help or advice would be great 😊

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Generally, some combination of resistance training and cardio makes for a pretty effective combo. Resistance training will help make you stronger, preserve your muscle (better body composition) and give your body some great shape. Overall, the best workout is the one you can follow. Personally, along with your walking/jogging, I would consider adding some weight training. You can start with body weight, dumbbells or a well structured routine if you want more optimal results. Below is a great place to start.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Hollystn
    Hollystn Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you for your help.
    I do have some weights, exercise ball, exercise bike at home so I could fit in a home workout on the day I dont go walking.
    I will check out the link and thank you again for your help. 😊
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Couch 2 5k for running, then I did 30 day shred, ripped in 30, and the firm super cardio mix. Start out with 3-5lb dumbbells and increase as you get stronger. The Firm has several good videos that incorporate hand weights. I also like TurboJam and Amy Bento.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Most weight loss will be the result of eating at a deficit. Cardio can help free up some calorie space
    Walking is a fine start. It is also where I began. As you mentioned throw in some jogging in small intervals and
    eventually you will be able to jog for longer periods.
    I would recommend some resistance training, lots of things you can look up to get you started and easy enough to do at home with minimal supplies.
    Good luck and keep at it. congrats on your initial success