Any diet soda drinkers here?

Replies

• skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    I started drinking diet soda around 2005 when I was first on Weight Watchers (not on the program anymore -- I haven't been on it since 2007 or so). It was really hard to transition from regular sodas at first, but now it's all I can drink! Regular soda tastes way too sweet now. I love me a cold, bubbly diet Coke. Lately, though, I've been trying to cut back and incorporate more sparkling water instead.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Funny how our tastes change. Growing up- I drank Coke like it was going out of style. Then I started drinking Diet Coke in college ....a few years back...I started drinking mostly water ....and haven’t had Diet Coke in over 2 years. I had one a few days ago at a party - and didn’t even finish it because it tasted like - meh... 🤷🏼‍♀️

(I dated a golfer for awhile who used to clean his golf clubs in diet coke/— I used to steal a few to drink on the way to work lol - that used to cause some interesting conversations. 😉)
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 177 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    kcmcbee wrote: »
    I dropped soda altogether (was a C zero drinker) and went with the many flavored water options both carbonated and not. Glad I did it and not looking back. But geez.... be ready if you bash soda on here!

Why are you glad you drink flavored carbonated water rather than C Zero? Isn't flavored carbonated water a soda?

Kimny and Carlos_421 - Wait a minute....cola is flavored water? Oh with a load of sugar or laboratory fake sugar. No thanks for me. Have all you want.
  • Ironwoman1111
    Ironwoman1111 Posts: 3,913 Member
    edited September 2019
    I’ve started drinking Diet Pepsi because I just need something sweet! I drink one almost daily and I find that it helps me with my cravings. Also, it’s lower in sodium than Diet Coke. Bubbly is pretty good too, I like the grapefruit one but mostly for the carbonation. 😉
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,931 Member
    out of interest what are the comparative salt figures for Pepsi Max vs Diet Coke.

did not know there was any significant difference

sodium is 13mg per 100ml in pepsi max- according to the can in my fridge.

I do not have any diet coke cans to compare but if anyone does, that would be interesting.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    out of interest what are the comparative salt figures for Pepsi Max vs Diet Coke.

did not know there was any significant difference

sodium is 13mg per 100ml in pepsi max- according to the can in my fridge.

I do not have any diet coke cans to compare but if anyone does, that would be interesting.

dccvaf9mup5f.png
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Sorry. Here's one with a volume serving instead of a container serving (and hopefully more legible)

aokksgqzdbr2.png

So that's roughly 8 mg sodium per 100 ml. A difference from Pepsi Max of 5 mg per 100 ml. Doesn't seem like much unless someone is on a very restricted sodium diet and is pounding down a couple of two-liter bottles a day.
  • kcmcbee
    I dropped soda altogether (was a C zero drinker) and went with the many flavored water options both carbonated and not. Glad I did it and not looking back. But geez.... be ready if you bash soda on here!

No - be ready if you post inaccurate scare mongering misinformation on here.

If you post something individual - like am avoiding it because sensitivity to caffeine, or carbonated drinks make me bloated, or dental issues or whatever - Nobody objects.

If you post inaccurate claims as if they are fact - yes you will get challenged on it.

and rightly so

I only posted I quit drinking sodas. 😶 And that bashing soda (whci I was not doing) causes an uproar for some reason. Makes one wonder why? I think we all know.

• kcmcbee

Why are you glad you drink flavored carbonated water rather than C Zero? Isn't flavored carbonated water a soda?

Kimny and Carlos_421 - Wait a minute....cola is flavored water? Oh with a load of sugar or laboratory fake sugar. No thanks for me. Have all you want.

My question was an honest one. I guess your answer is that you choose flavored drinks that don't have artificial sweeteners. That wasn't clear from your original post.

I don't see any reason to avoid artificial sweeteners, but if you do that's your prerogative. I was just asking.

My answer for me personally is I cut way back on all sugar and sweeteners. Try to stay with most natural and less of highly processed/refined.

• JenasyJen
    JenasyJen Posts: 15 Member
    I drink a lot of diet coke and still losing weight. I don't find it makes me hungry. I wouldn't say diet coke is good. I would agree with it is not healthy. Why do i drink it? Mostly because i gave up a lot of stuff to lose weight. I need something and since its 0 calories, i can least lose weight. One day i would like to reduce my diet drink intake. Honestly, i feel the best i have in years.

The studies that show diet coke drinkers gaining weight are for those who are NOT counting calories. They tend to eat more because of they overcompensate for the 0 cals drink. For those of us who count calories diet drinks shouldn't make us gain weight if we are being honest about our food diaries.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, I've been into diet sodas since the era of Tab & Pepsi Light (I was a kid and not aware of calories or dieting; sometimes those were just around).

I live in a big city, and one of my favorite daily things is to stop at a bodega at the beginning of my walk and grab a nice cold Diet Mt. Dew or Coke Zero 20 oz. bottle ($1.50, hood rate). It'll last for an hour walk, sipping on it.

I'll keep the bottle and use it later with those little drink packet "kool aid" things you snip the top off of. Awesome.
  • kcmcbee

No - be ready if you post inaccurate scare mongering misinformation on here.

If you post something individual - like am avoiding it because sensitivity to caffeine, or carbonated drinks make me bloated, or dental issues or whatever - Nobody objects.

If you post inaccurate claims as if they are fact - yes you will get challenged on it.

and rightly so

I only posted I quit drinking sodas. 😶 And that bashing soda (whci I was not doing) causes an uproar for some reason. Makes one wonder why? I think we all know.

False premise.

You didnt only post that- you then threw out the combative phrase -be ready if you bash soda on here

and no I dont know and I dont see any uproar to know or wonder anything about.

You seem to be perceiving quite a few reactions that are not there. :*

Well didn’t mean to be combative with that phrase and no I don’t see an uproar. Simply observed quite a defensive comments on sodas. I get it. I drank soda for most of my life. Really not that many considering the # of app users here. But the reaction was noticeable I think.