How do you fight the cravings?

Options
2»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    For snacks, I just buy a single serving of the thing I want and eat it. For meals, I see if I can plan it into my day or a few days in advance. If I'm not willing to go out and buy what I want, or if planning it in feels harder than not (like if I'm having a hungry day), then I don't want it enough and I don't eat it. It's usually a "worth the calories" competition for me. The foods that feel most worth it win, regardless of what they are. Some foods are worth it less often than others because take up too much of my allowance and make it necessary to over plan, but it's all food to me in the end.
  • Every_Day_Is_A_New_Day
    Options
    I read a blog on a lady who was struggling with emotional eating say something similar to the lines of "even after that cup of frosting, I always found myself wanting more, more, more." It made me realize that the cravings never stop coming. I think just being aware of this and having something prepared ahead of time helps. The one thing I can't stop eating once I start is potato chips, and I know it's a trigger food for me so I choose not to buy it. Instead, I like to snack on seaweed chips instead sparingly. I have also found that by eating more whole foods, I'll crave healthy foods more. Goodluck!
  • RedAbilty
    RedAbilty Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! This really does help.
  • OkieFitness
    OkieFitness Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Start at the source I’d say: The psychology of it all. The mental part of the craving. After all, truth be told your body isn’t going to collapse if you DON’T satisfy the craving, right? It’s all in your head! So you have to mentally take charge first - whether that’s through distraction, focus, or plain ole tomfoolery! I’m amazed how many times drinking water together with doing something will take away a craving - especially during a fast - but during food-specific cravings as well.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    ufonut wrote: »
    Start at the source I’d say: The psychology of it all. The mental part of the craving. After all, truth be told your body isn’t going to collapse if you DON’T satisfy the craving, right? It’s all in your head! So you have to mentally take charge first - whether that’s through distraction, focus, or plain ole tomfoolery! I’m amazed how many times drinking water together with doing something will take away a craving - especially during a fast - but during food-specific cravings as well.

For me, personally, cravings are rarely a 5 minute affair. They're not going to go away until I have what I want. They can last for days or even weeks (unless I don't really want the thing. If I'm not willing to go buy it, I don't really want it enough to consider it a craving). I'm not going to die if I don't satisfy my cravings, but why put myself through that if I can have the best of both worlds and satisfy my cravings while controlling calories? I guess it depends on the person. Food is important to me and I derive real joy from it. Some people see food as nothing more than fuel. I'm not like that. If I'm not happy with my food, I'm not happy, and I embrace that.
  • southhillkelli
    southhillkelli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Sylphadora
    Sylphadora Posts: 75 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I do zero carb and I literally have no cravings. When I was keto I binged on nuts and dairy pretty often. I could eat so many Macadamia nuts, brie or camembert cheese and Greek yogurt! I quit nuts and all dairy except for raw cheese. I mainly eat authentic parmigiano-reggiano which I still find addictive but I eat it with meat or eggs, never alone or else I can end up bingeing on it too
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    RedAbilty wrote: »
    Currently have em & out of treats, refuse to buy more cos I'm scared I'll devour the whole lot... I'm a big sucker for crystals & their properties so made a concoction & hold them when I'm struggling. What do you do?

My treats might include a plain Greek Fage yogurt (which I really like) with fresh blueberries or lightly salted almonds, or maybe a banana -- basically things that taste good and have a little natural sugar or fat or both -- and fit in my calories for the day.

When I stopped regularly eating cake, donuts, candy, etc., I lost interest in them. Speaking for myself, I only craved that stuff when I regularly ate it. I had one dish of ice cream at a birthday party weeks ago, enjoyed it, and didn't want any more.

If somebody tried to take away all my natural fruit, though, I would kill them. :p