Feeling sleepy and fatigued after eating

Options
Had some relatives over and I ate meat with rice, kebabs and salad. So a nice balanced meal...but now I feel so sleepy! Why does this always happen to me when I eat rice? I guess I can eat too much in one go which doesn’t suit me. My meal was 800/900 calories. Is that a lot of food in one go? Does switching to smaller frequent meals help with blood sugar issues and energy?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Kebabs are different depending on location - please describe yours.

800/900 calories would be a lot for me, and I would feel lethargic (and gross) afterwards. Other people eat more than that in a meal and are fine.

What's your normal amount of calories for your biggest meal?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    It may be the rice. Some people have issues with certain carbs. My son in law won't eat pancakes because they put him to sleep.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    What blood sugar issues have you been diagnosed with? That may make a difference regarding your body’s response to a larger than usual meal.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Kebabs are different depending on location - please describe yours.

800/900 calories would be a lot for me, and I would feel lethargic (and gross) afterwards. Other people eat more than that in a meal and are fine.

What's your normal amount of calories for your biggest meal?

For me kebabs are mince meat mixed with spices, herbs, onions, tomatoes etc then shaped into patties. Well normally I eat 500/600 calories in a meal.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    It may be the rice. Some people have issues with certain carbs. My son in law won't eat pancakes because they put him to sleep.

Yeah I’ve been avoiding rice so that must be it. But I don’t understand the fatigue.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    My wife and I were just discussing on a 10 hour car trip yesterday how much less sleepy and fatigued we feel these days on our lower-carb diets. I drove the whole trip without a single yawn, fully alert, whereas on previous iterations of this trip we sometimes had to pull over for power naps or at least some rest time.

We're not doing keto or radical carb reduction, but we have cut out some of the useless refined carbs and substituted fat, protein, and more complex/whole carbs. The difference in how much more energetic and less sleepy we feel since doing this is unbelievable.

I also agree. I feel so much better without refined carbs and sugars etc
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    What blood sugar issues have you been diagnosed with? That may make a difference regarding your body’s response to a larger than usual meal.

I have PCOS
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    If you're happy with your meals and don't want to change them a brisk walk can help (it doesn't have to be long 10-20 minutes should do). But ideally you'd want to do both -- have a little less rice (carbohydrate) and take that walk. Have your doctors talked to you about insulin resistance? If they haven't you should ask about it and explain what's happening when you eat at your next appointment.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    sometimes after a large meal people get...sleepy. unless its happening regularly i dont think id put much thought into it.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    sometimes after a large meal people get...sleepy. unless its happening regularly i dont think id put much thought into it.

I would not worry about it either. People wonder why they get tired after a "Thanksgiving" meal? They blames the turkey. Its actually the amount of food they ate. Digestion is an expensive process. Especially protein. Your body is going to try to conserve energy to digest a large meal. If we look at hunter gathers who eat a "Large" meal post kill, many of them will lay down and take a nap. JMHO
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Just because it's common doesn't mean it's a normal, healthy response to eating. It isn't. The OP has PCOS and this shouldn't be brushed off as just something that happens, in my opinion.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Just because it's common doesn't mean it's a normal, healthy response to eating. It isn't. The OP has PCOS and this shouldn't be brushed off as just something that happens, in my opinion, of course.

Ok, while taking care of people with PCOS does not make me an expert by any means. They are STILL subject to feeling tired after a large meal. Not saying amount of carbs did not have an "added" effect, but kebabs, I believe might be a higher protein meal. While not knowing the maintenance calories of OP for many smaller ladies and men, 800-900 calories is a LARGE meal. as I stated... JMHO
  • missjck2
    missjck2 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    OP sounds like you ate too much and had a case of the “itis” aka food coma...