EXERCISE WITH BROKEN ANKLE??

Long story short, I was picking blueberries in the woods, fell in a hole and broke my ankle. Yes, you can laugh, it's okay.

What's not okay is that there will be no more step-aerobics for at least four weeks. :(

I need suggestions for exercises that will get my heart-rate up that don't require two working legs. The only thing I can think of is maybe doing battle ropes from a sitting position??? Would that even work? Hit me with any suggestions you got.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Sure, battle ropes work. In addition to the common slams, you can hold the ropes together and do wood-choppers. Check youtube for more ideas.
    Also medicine ball slams.
    Maybe swim.

Don't do too much while your body is trying to heal. If you're trying to burn fat, just reduce your calorie intake. A high heart rate isn't needed for fat loss. :+1:
  • mim619
    mim619 Posts: 33 Member
    My husband is wokt through an MCL injury. As suggested above he is doing upper body lifting only from a seated position. He uses machines with adjustable weights or I assist him and get the weights ready.

He always says "I feel so lazy!!"
    Which gets him the "lazy people get injured and sit on the couch" response.

Do what you can. But rest as long as it takes, so it doesn't take longer.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,733 Member
    Also, there are a bunch of YouTube videos for vigorous seated exercise (consider wheelchair users). That said, prioritize healing: Minimal calorie deficit or maintenance. (Sorry. Sympathy. :flowerforyou: )
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I was going to suggest YouTube videos as well. They also have seated yoga.

I broke my ankle years ago. I know what you’re going through.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 572 Member
    I broke my ankle 6 days after I started my journey, back in 2012. I got a set of crutches, and just went out and walked on them. Got myself up to about 2-2.5 miles a day on those babies.
  • AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Also, there are a bunch of YouTube videos for vigorous seated exercise (consider wheelchair users). That said, prioritize healing: Minimal calorie deficit or maintenance. (Sorry. Sympathy. :flowerforyou: )

Perfect! Just what I was looking for. Thank you :)
  • poisonesse wrote: »
    I broke my ankle 6 days after I started my journey, back in 2012. I got a set of crutches, and just went out and walked on them. Got myself up to about 2-2.5 miles a day on those babies.

I walk my dog using my crutches but it's so slow I doubt it's doing me any good toward improving my fitness but I'm just so happy that I'm not in the house all the time that I'll keep doing it!
  • Cherimoose wrote: »
    Sure, battle ropes work. In addition to the common slams, you can hold the ropes together and do wood-choppers. Check youtube for more ideas.
    Also medicine ball slams.
    Maybe swim.

Don't do too much while your body is trying to heal. If you're trying to burn fat, just reduce your calorie intake. A high heart rate isn't needed for fat loss. :+1:

I think swimming is out due to the cast but the rest of your suggestions are solid gold. Thanks mate :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,733 Member
    poisonesse wrote: »

I walk my dog using my crutches but it's so slow I doubt it's doing me any good toward improving my fitness but I'm just so happy that I'm not in the house all the time that I'll keep doing it!

If you'd like a reseach take on this: Walking with crutches is a 5.0 MET activity, theoretically equivalent on a minute-per-minute basis to "walking, 4.0 mph, level, firm surface, very brisk pace". ;)

This is from the Compendium of Physical Activities, walking activity section, where "using crutches" is activity #17140, and that 4.0mph/level/firm/brisk entry is activity #17220.

https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories/walking
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    poisonesse wrote: »

Don't get stuck in the myth that you have to be breaking a land speed record, lifting a metric ton, or huffing and puffing to be improving fitness. Endurance is a part of fitness. And any movement is certainly better for you than none. Get better soon :smile:
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    I just started the 30 Day Shred and she mentions in the first workout that air boxing (can't remember her terminology) is a good cardio workout for those that can't stand.
  • I just started the 30 Day Shred and she mentions in the first workout that air boxing (can't remember her terminology) is a good cardio workout for those that can't stand.
    Great suggestion! Thank you :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    When I bruised my heel I swam. When I injured my knee I did the same and focused on arms to propel me forward. Not sure if this is an option for you, but there are also arm recumbent cycles at several gyms as well, just prioritize rest for now and heal up.
  • apcross13
    apcross13 Posts: 8 Member
    I broke and severely dislocated my ankle about a year and a half ago - yours sounds less severe, but it is still a crazy bad injury. Best wishes in your recovery, and give yourself some grace. Your body is working hard to heal. You are my hero for even thinking about exercising right now!