So many years later and I'm in the same space

Options
How long will it take me to be consistent with my weight? It seems like I always end up overweight, depressed, addicted for wine and bad habits. I have hit my goal weight once before and I felt great. Now, years later... I've gained it all back with a mountain of extra weight. This is the biggest I've been.

Today is once again day 1. I have decided to cut thr booze during the week. 1 bottle of wine a day just isn't helping me get closer to my goals. I am now 20kilos overweight, which seems impossible to lose, but I'm not going down without a fight.

My plan is to first cut the week day drinking and eat better. I dont want to fix everything at once, because it always fails for me. I am sure if I cut the wine, I'd look less bloated and horrible. I dont like looking at myself in the mirror at all, which is sad.

We went on a tropical vacation a few weeks ago and the pictures horrified me. After I saw one I didnt want to be in any others. I wanted to make memories but I spent the holiday feeling like a loser. I am from mom of 2 and I dont want to die this way. Something needs to give.

I always do the big bang approach, hoping for instant results. This time I want to change that. I need all the support I can get. Does my plan sound like it could work, if i stick to it?

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I did endless Big Bang approaches and ended up in the same boat as you every time. The initial weight loss was very motivating but reaching goal on an unsustainable plan just made me put it all back when I ate "normally". So you need to establish a new normal and (sorry to say) you need to accept that you are in this for the long haul.

You need large amounts of self awareness to succeed at this game, I've found. I was a bottle a day girl and could happily down two on a weekend evening. Yikes. Cold turkey never worked for me on the wine front - though it does work for some people. Depends whether you are the type who can drink in moderation at this stage, or whether one glass inevitably leads to another. So I just cut down and cut down. I am at the stage now where I have four consecutive alcohol free days per week and I am most unlikely to drink more than half a bottle on each of the other three days. But that is by choice because I now don't want to fill up my calorie allowance with booze. I need the food to build the muscle, see? My priorities have changed. But that does not happen overnight.

Food-wise I am very strict about avoiding junk, desserts etc. That kind of cold turkey approach works for me with food. But only if I tell myself I am allowed a treat if I feel desperate. I keep mini choc ices in the freezer in case of emergency. I eat one every six months, on average. But if you are the type of person who must eat the treat if it is in the house then keep it out of the house.

Good luck. It's tough, but it is absolutely do-able. I've shed 32kg since 2014, with the odd blip along the way, but the trend is steadily down. I've another 6kg or so to go.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Make this the last time you start this journey.

I agree with the above posters in their advice to get a handle on your drinking, first and foremost.

If you need help with that, get it. Your health and well-being are important.

Please let us know how you're doing. There are people here who have been in your shoes. 💟
  • StaciMarie2020
    StaciMarie2020 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    For me, I needed to find something else to focus on after I lost the weight. *I'm now back needing to lose 15 or so that I've put back on over the last 1-2 years. So I guess you could say I lost focus of my new focus. But it worked for a few years lol.

What I mean: I lost ~50 from late December 2013 thru October 2014. And then I started scheduling 5k, 10k and half marathons. Generally 1 half per year (though not this year, see note above) and a few 5ks and 1-2 10ks. Having those events helped me focus on fitness and being active once weight loss was no longer my objective.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I am in much the same boat... staying focused is my big issue. I think I just want to see the results NOW. I mean, i am eating well and exercising, shouldn't i look healthier already?? Lol. It seems a hugely long process to commit to.

Anyway, every day I try and just do well for today. I can do that.

I am down almost 8kg from my highest, with 12 to go.

With the wine, my DH and I switched our evening drinks for nice teas. We still have the odd alcoholic drink, but it had just become a habit that wasn't doing us any good.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options

My plan is to first cut the week day drinking and eat better. I dont want to fix everything at once, because it always fails for me. I am sure if I cut the wine, I'd look less bloated and horrible. I dont like looking at myself in the mirror at all, which is sad.

I always do the big bang approach, hoping for instant results. This time I want to change that. I need all the support I can get. Does my plan sound like it could work, if i stick to it?

Your plan could use some firming up. Giving up your bottle a day habit is a great start, and knowing that you cant make 100 changes all at once is also a good realization. How about making a list the few things that you can and will do starting today. 'eat better' is vague, maybe be more specific about a calorie goal (if that is what you are using to guide your eating).

1. Drinking less wine (1 glass a day for starters)
    2. go for a walk 3 times a week (or something you enjoy)
    3. Stay within my calorie goal 6 out of 7 days, and being under my weekly goal every week.

good luck

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I used to be good for a bottle of wine a day myself. I can drink moderately now, but had to give it up completely for a number of years. You could try moderating, and if you fail, abstain instead.

I found just a few Smart Recovery and Rational Recovery meetings extremely helpful. These are cognitive behavioral therapy based, so you could also just get CBT from a regular therapist. CBT has also been found to be very effective for food issues.

I also went to lots and lots of AA and NA meetings, mostly with friends or family. I didn't find the 12 step model particularly helpful for me, but many swear by it.