Just can’t seem to break this stall

Options
So I’m 5’4” and 172 lbs, 38 years old female.

Been at this since July. Hard to exercise because of my hip and knee so I primarily targeted diet. I reduced to 1200 calories per day and lost 10lbs. Then I stalled and since then have been gradually gaining.

I can’t quite see where I’m going wrong. I log every day although I think there are gaps in my diary due to not always hitting ‘complete’ afterwards. But most days I stuck to 1200, occasionally going over that.

More recently I am averaging about 1300-1400 per day. People have said I might not be eating enough so it was my hope this could help shift it - but I stepped on the scales today and I’ve gone up to 173.

I’m really concerned I can’t seem to lose and I think I’m doing something wrong.

Any constructive ideas would be great - am frustrated and demoralised.

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Are you accurately weighing everything you eat and drink with a food scale?
  • goatelope
    goatelope Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Stalls can definitely suck. How long has it been since you last saw a drop on the scale?

I peeked at your diary for the past month. Good job on logging everything daily. That's dedication. A lot of what causes stalls just comes down to food logging issues and there are a few you might want to work on. Things like quick adds, relying on generic entries if it's something you made yourself, not weighing everything (I know it's a plain to get used to, but it really does add up), bad database entries (I have never seem a reliable "small banana" entry for less than 90 calories and you've found two of them), etc. Tightening up your logging for a few weeks will give you a clear picture of what's happening and may help solve the issue. Am I right in guessing from this log that you seem to eat out a lot? That might be another thing to look at curbing. I'm not against eating out as a rule, but restaurant portions are harder to control and may be quite a bit off from what they report. It might be something to look at while you're troubleshooting this stall.

Thank you for this. I don’t eat out - what I do sometimes is write it all down on paper and then quick add because I find it a hassle to create recipes at dinner time. I am pretty meticulous about logging. I eat 1200 daily on the basis that it probably adds up to 1300 thanks to little mistakes. But even with an average of 1300-1400 daily, and with exercise, I don’t understand why no change in over a month.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale?
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I was on a 3 month stall, very discouraging to say the least. There are tricks to break a stall. On Weight watchers it is called Wendy's plan. I used to call it the zig zag. Same thing, one uses points one calories. I have had to do this a couple of times. So far I have lost 68 pounds slow and steady. Here is one plan. Zig-Zag Calorie Intake
    Zig-zagging, or calorie cycling is the process of varying daily calorie intake, while maintaining the same weekly intake. Instead of consuming (for example) precisely 1000 calories each day – you can mix it up.
    Eat 1000 calories one day, and 700 calories the next. This can be as simple as swapping meat for fish or adding a shake into the plan.
    If your daily calories for fat loss is 1000 a weekly zig-zag would look like this:
    Daily Calories
    Monday 800
    Tuesday 1100
    Wednesday 700
    Thursday 1000
    Friday 900
    Saturday 1200
    Sunday 700

This is based on 1000 calories which is too low in my opinion so I would increase everything by 200 calories. good luck.
  • goatelope
    Options
    megamom wrote: »
    I was on a 3 month stall, very discouraging to say the least. There are tricks to break a stall. On Weight watchers it is called Wendy's plan. I used to call it the zig zag. Same thing, one uses points one calories. I have had to do this a couple of times. So far I have lost 68 pounds slow and steady. Here is one plan. Zig-Zag Calorie Intake
    Zig-zagging, or calorie cycling is the process of varying daily calorie intake, while maintaining the same weekly intake. Instead of consuming (for example) precisely 1000 calories each day – you can mix it up.
    Eat 1000 calories one day, and 700 calories the next. This can be as simple as swapping meat for fish or adding a shake into the plan.
    If your daily calories for fat loss is 1000 a weekly zig-zag would look like this:
    Daily Calories
    Monday 800
    Tuesday 1100
    Wednesday 700
    Thursday 1000
    Friday 900
    Saturday 1200
    Sunday 700

This is based on 1000 calories which is too low in my opinion so I would increase everything by 200 calories. good luck.

A lot of people have talked about doing this and/or fasting. I have upped calories to 1350 to see if that will help (some people told me I’m not eating enough). I would like to try this as well, as I’m getting so fed up.
  • goatelope
    Options
    goatelope wrote: »
    Stalls can definitely suck. How long has it been since you last saw a drop on the scale?

I peeked at your diary for the past month. Good job on logging everything daily. That's dedication. A lot of what causes stalls just comes down to food logging issues and there are a few you might want to work on. Things like quick adds, relying on generic entries if it's something you made yourself, not weighing everything (I know it's a plain to get used to, but it really does add up), bad database entries (I have never seem a reliable "small banana" entry for less than 90 calories and you've found two of them), etc. Tightening up your logging for a few weeks will give you a clear picture of what's happening and may help solve the issue. Am I right in guessing from this log that you seem to eat out a lot? That might be another thing to look at curbing. I'm not against eating out as a rule, but restaurant portions are harder to control and may be quite a bit off from what they report. It might be something to look at while you're troubleshooting this stall.

Thank you for this. I don’t eat out - what I do sometimes is write it all down on paper and then quick add because I find it a hassle to create recipes at dinner time. I am pretty meticulous about logging. I eat 1200 daily on the basis that it probably adds up to 1300 thanks to little mistakes. But even with an average of 1300-1400 daily, and with exercise, I don’t understand why no change in over a month.

I would be surprised if those little mistakes add up to only 100 calories difference. I know from my own experiments, just the difference between using weights vs measurements added up to about 300-400 calories difference. It's definitely something to look into as you go.

I would be surprised if those little mistakes add up to only 100 calories difference. I know from my own experiments, just the difference between using weights vs measurements added up to about 300-400 calories difference. It's definitely something to look into as you go.

I’m pretty careful but I know what you mean
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

OP, you still have not answered this question.

using measuring cups or estimating can have you off by as little as 10% or as much as 50%.
  • goatelope
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

using measuring cups or estimating can have you off by as little as 10% or as much as 50%.

Yes, I weight everything with a kitchen scale and rarely estimate. Also I never use oil, just fry light, and always round up not down.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Yes, I weight everything with a kitchen scale and rarely estimate. Also I never use oil, just fry light, and always round up not down.

The thing is, your diary today only shows 3 things that were weighed, so it's easy to be dubious about the accuracy of some of the foods you're logging
  • goatelope
    Options

The thing is, your diary today only shows 3 things that were weighed, so it's easy to be dubious about the accuracy of some of the foods you're logging

Everything had caloric values on the packaging. Eg I had a sandwich from Gregg’s which was 347, a soup which had the calories on the carton and which I ate all of. I weighed the banana and measured the milk. I checked packet for rice cakes. Weighed the feta. Etc
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    When people suggest weighing everything, they mean everything. The sandwich, the rice cakes, the soup. Everything. That's because the nutrition information on the label is based on the weight listed next tip the serving size. The serving size in cups, pieces, etc is a based guess provided by the manufacturers. You'll find that it's very often off from the weight given - sometimes by a little and sometimes by a lot. Don't tell us you weigh everything unless you actually do.
  • goatelope
    Options
    ah ok. I can try doing this for a couple weeks and see what happens.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Stalls can happen even when doing everything right but the science is, if we take in less than we burn we lose - it might not just happen as evenly or as quickly as we like. I recently was finding weight creep happening, I went back to logging/tracking really carefully and increased my exercise, it took 6 WEEKS before I saw a drop of 3lbs. The scales didn't show all my effort for that length of time, in fact I appeared to be gaining. I really was at the stage I was thinking, what is the point! but I stuck with it. Thankfully my losing streak is now happening each week again, 3lbs down, 4 to go until back in the low end of my goal range.

• goatelope
    Options
    Stalls can happen even when doing everything right but the science is, if we take in less than we burn we lose - it might not just happen as evenly or as quickly as we like. I recently was finding weight creep happening, I went back to logging/tracking really carefully and increased my exercise, it took 6 WEEKS before I saw a drop of 3lbs. The scales didn't show all my effort for that length of time, in fact I appeared to be gaining. I really was at the stage I was thinking, what is the point! but I stuck with it. Thankfully my losing streak is now happening each week again, 3lbs down, 4 to go until back in the low end of my goal range.

I feel so hopeless. I do weigh and log as carefully as is practical. I’ll keep at it but I’m so upset.
  • tremmax
    tremmax Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Did you manage to break your stall? I am currently going through a stall at the beginning of my weight loss break, so curious to know how you got on? It is so disheartening!