been doing stronglifts wrong all this time

started the stronglifts beginner program about a few weeks.

i figured out what i was doing wrong..

so the barbells are all different weighs. I just assumed each barbell would be 45 lbs. Turns out the last barbell I used for deadlifts and overhead press was 55 lbs!

The barbell I have been using for squats was 40 lbs. One time I did overhead press with a 25 lbs barbell.
Ughhh i feell like i messed up my stronglifts routine too badly.
Iss there a way i can fix this?

Replies

• wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited September 2019
    How did you find out the weights of the various barbells?

If you know the weight of the barbell it shouldn’t be too difficult to set it up for the appropriate work set weight.

For example if your press work set weight is 65# and you happen to grab the 25# barbell you would add 40#: 65 = 25 + 40 however if you happen to grab the 55# barbell then you would only add 10# 65 = 55 + 10.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    I've been lifting a long time, and I've never seen a 40 lb or 55 lb barbell. How did you find this out?

Weird but true. I started at a new gym and they too had "olympic" style bars that were 3 different weights. 25, 45, 55, appeared to be practically the same size, so you had to be careful which you used. Later I found out the weights were printed on a decal on each end (and the lettering was color coded).

Interesting! Live and learn. So it's an Olympic weightlifting thing?
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    jonmarrow wrote: »
    started the stronglifts beginner program about a few weeks.

i figured out what i was doing wrong..

so the barbells are all different weighs. I just assumed each barbell would be 45 lbs. Turns out the last barbell I used for deadlifts and overhead press was 55 lbs!

The barbell I have been using for squats was 40 lbs. One time I did overhead press with a 25 lbs barbell.
    Ughhh i feell like i messed up my stronglifts routine too badly.
    Iss there a way i can fix this?

Start again. But before you do, please go check out the form videos that were suggested in the other thread. Very important. Get coaching if you need clarification.

But...a quick word of caution on coaches/trainers...there are many that are not proficient with barbell lifts and may try to get you into a bunch of isolation stuff. It's not the same. It's not necessarily bad, but not as efficient.

Watch the videos first. Get the movements down. Watch the cues.

If you do find a coach, make sure they know about and promote the compound lifts we've been talking about.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I've been lifting a long time, and I've never seen a 40 lb or 55 lb barbell. How did you find this out?

Weird but true. I started at a new gym and they too had "olympic" style bars that were 3 different weights. 25, 45, 55, appeared to be practically the same size, so you had to be careful which you used. Later I found out the weights were printed on a decal on each end (and the lettering was color coded).

I’ve never encountered a loadable bar heavier than 55 lbs, but at our gym there’s a women’s bar which is 35 lbs, for women and beginners who aren’t up to the full sized bar. It looks different, however, and is shorter.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

I’ve never encountered a loadable bar heavier than 55 lbs, but at our gym there’s a women’s bar which is 35 lbs, for women and beginners who aren’t up to the full sized bar. It looks different, however, and is shorter.

Sounds kind of sexist.

Kidding!
  • fitpal02020
    fitpal02020 Posts: 193 Member

the gym instructor told me
  • fitpal02020
    Don’t stress Jon. It’s just a few weeks. This is just the beginning of your lifting life. I did all kinds of silly stuff when I began. Probably still am doing daft stuff

thank you! but im basically wondering if i have messed up my routine. Should I start stronglifts from scratch or just continue by picking the right barbell?
  • fitpal02020
    puffbrat wrote: »
    jonmarrow wrote: »
    Don’t stress Jon. It’s just a few weeks. This is just the beginning of your lifting life. I did all kinds of silly stuff when I began. Probably still am doing daft stuff

thank you! but im basically wondering if i have messed up my routine. Should I start stronglifts from scratch or just continue by picking the right barbell?

You started another thread yesterday saying you hurt your back doing deadlifts. You should first have your back checked out by a doctor. Once you are healed and cleared to lift again, you should completely deload to an empty bar and work with a trainer to learn correct form.

ok
  • Tbh I would start again. You are literally at the very start of a journey that’s gonna take years. Nothing lost at all. And stop stressing. Relax. Pick the empty barbell up put it down again. Repeat 5 times. Etc. Run the programme until you can no longer add 5 pounds. Then when adding 5 pounds is no longer possible then switch to a non-novice programme.

Oh and how is ur back? If it’s fine now you probably had Doms.
  • John did you watch the videos of mehdi doing the stronglifts work out a abs workout b? If not then watch them. You don’t necessarily need a trainer at this stage.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    So I just joined a new gym...I have been weighing the bars. Actually, I've been sending my husband to ask the front desk girl to use the scale...weigh himself then weigh himself holding the bar. So far, the bars have all been 45s (despite all looking slightly different).

The 55 squat bar at the other gym looks bigger than a "normal" bar and the 35 looks smaller and is super shiny from less use.

You haven't "messed up." Just pick a bar next week and stick with that bar. If that bar is in use...go weigh another bar.