Body fat percentage too high?

Options
I know the machines aren't all that accurate, so I'm using it as an indicator of progress more than anything, but I've just made it into the top end of healthy BMI this week (after a 17lb loss over 2 months - now 161 down from 178 at 5'7). However, my body fat % is still reading as 38%, which seems high for healthy BMI (albeit at the top end), and hasn't gone down at all despite the weight loss and my dropping a dress size. I'm still losing steadily, and I've been doing both cardio and strength training. I'd been worried about muscle loss, as I was losing 2lb a week, and have just upped my calories on MFP to avoid that, but I can see and feel loads of fat still on my body, and I've got a way to go before the machine will tell me I'm in the 20s percentage wise. I'm worried there must be a lot of fat around my organs, because while I'm still flabby I'm not huge (about a size 14, sometimes a 12). Obviously, I'm still being careful with the rate of loss, but my two questions are:

1) Do I need to worry overly about muscle loss at 38% fat / lots of squishy fat demonstrably still present?

2) Is the machine a helpful guide as an indicator, especially regarding the level of fat I can't see around my organs, or should I just ignore it?

Thanks, everyone!

Replies

• ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Are you using a scale for this info?

Fwiw, I'm 5'7" and 159lbs this morning, my scale says I'm 36% bf. LIES. It's only measuring water and guessing at the rest. I have a disproportionate amount of fat on my legs, but no where near 38%.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Scale tells me I am 37% fat. I am BMI 25, weigh 12 1/2 stone and am 5'10". I know the scales aren't wildly accurate but looking at myself in the mirror and comparing with online pics I would say that I probably am about 37% fat. The ones I use measure visceral fat and apparently I am totally within the healthy range there. If you've got plenty of visible flab still then my bet would be that is where the fat is residing, rather than round the organs.

So long as you are working hard on muscle retention and not eating stupidly low cal then just keep on keeping on would be my advice. My approach is to get to the weight I want and then worry about body composition.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    1) Do I need to worry overly about muscle loss at 38% fat / lots of squishy fat demonstrably still present?

The danger of muscle loss in a deficit is real but vastly over-stated, mostly because it's filtered down from the elite few who are extraordinarily highly trained and already quite lean. To extrapolate what might be likely for them to everyone else who may well have a generous amount of stored energy (fat) and also be undertrained and possibly also starting a novel exercise regime is really poor science. There's plenty of well conducted studies that show people adding muscle in a deficit.
    A reasonable rate of weight loss, higher than usual protein and effective resistance training will see many people add muscle in a deficit. The opposite of the doom and gloom scenario often painted.
    What is much closer to inevitable is a loss of Lean Body Mass, but muscle is only part of that.

2) Is the machine a helpful guide as an indicator, especially regarding the level of fat I can't see around my organs, or should I just ignore it?

Some BIA devices (mostly those with hand and feet sensors) can give a reasonable trend and a reasonable number (if used with care and consistency) but some are just plain hopeless. Sounds like yours are in the second category from your stats.
    Did I read in another thread of yours that you have recently started weight training? The soreness and inflammation from that changes your hydration levels and that has a bit impact on BIA devices.

Progress photos and tape measurements are free and in most ways more reliable indicators of progress over an extended period of time.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I got a dexa scan when I was at 147 5'5". So bmi was 24.5 or so. bIA was 29% Dexa was 23%and showed higher fat in my lower half which is why feet only bioimpedrnce was likely so far off. I gained a few lbs back and i am at 33%bia and bmi 25. It's likely closer to 28%in reality.
  • Pricklypineapple422
    Options
    Not sure what machine you are using, but I know my scale is wildly inaccurate. I have a BMI of 19.5, four defined visible abs (next two are starting to show), and my scale puts me at 25% body fat. It just isn't accurate.

With that being said, it is possible (and happens quite frequently) to have a normal weight per BMI and still be overfat. Maybe see your doctor and see if they have any concerns, and if they do what their recommendations are.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I'll just add that (particularly for women) scale BF numbers can vary in accuracy because their calculation of "fat" percentage also uses weight/mass in our breasts.

Glad to see you've upped your calories. 2 lbs per week at your weight/height was putting you at risk of health problems. Hopefully you're aiming at less than 1 lb loss per week.

Congratulations on being a healthy weight! Take your time on the rest of your loss, and enjoy getting your mind into transitioning to maintenance mode, and maintaining sustainable eating habits for life.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Having a BF test in a couple days so I was surfing the net and stumbled across this finding it to be a decent read:

https://spu.edu/scripts/old/old myhome/users/weathers/public_html/bodycomp.htm
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Having a BF test in a couple days so I was surfing the net and stumbled across this finding it to be a decent read:

https://spu.edu/scripts/old/old myhome/users/weathers/public_html/bodycomp.htm

This looks like an older set of instructions using a single frequency BIA device. The body fat classification numbers look older as well.

That being said, the pre-test instructions are still in use (although not to that level of detail).

There are a lot of claims and anecdotes thrown around about BIA. There are differences between home BIA models and different levels of commercial machines. Any test method is only as good as the preparation and the way the test is administered.

BIA has plenty of issues—just like all other methods of body fat estimation. But a lot of the issues that people have with BIA are due to cheap machines or improper preparation.

• LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    rdl619 wrote: »
    Hello congratulations on you're weight loss.. You're body needs to go a very long time without food and with a higher bodyfat you in no way need to worry about muscle loss.. I researched this for a long time there's some people very high people in the fitness industry that have done videos on YouTube explaining that muscle loss is very very hard.. If you're under 10% body fat it can become a issue but I really wouldent worry about it.. If you're using it you're body won't won't to lose it... Ignore the machine.. From what i gather and asked/research its all very inaccurate .. It can all be off from what you're wearing you're hydration and what you've ate ect ect.. It seems like you are doing great try and stay away form machines and scales ect and use a tape measurement.. The best way is getting some body fat calipers from amazon (really cheap) to get you a better reading

Like ive said you're doing really well and you're on the right path just dont get caught up in the numbers game because it can set you in the wrong track

Keep at it 💪💪

Thank you ever so much, I really appreciate the advice and support. You've helped reassure me that my muscle isn't doing to waste away :) Apologies for my delay in replying, been a crazy couple of weeks!
  • LeiLaura
    Options
    I know the machines aren't all that accurate

This tells you all you need to know.

No way you're 38% fat at 161 and 5'7".

Step away from the bioimpedence scale. :)

Haha, thank you! That's massively reassuring :)
  • LeiLaura
    Options
    ponycyndi wrote: »
    Are you using a scale for this info?

Fwiw, I'm 5'7" and 159lbs this morning, my scale says I'm 36% bf. LIES. It's only measuring water and guessing at the rest. I have a disproportionate amount of fat on my legs, but no where near 38%.

Thank you, that's a relief to hear I'm not alone! I'm down to 159 now, too, and the body fat percentage actually moved (woo hoo!) down to 37.5% yesterday!! (I'm not checking it on purpose now, it just shows it on the printout from the scales at the gym).
  • LeiLaura
    Options
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    Scale tells me I am 37% fat. I am BMI 25, weigh 12 1/2 stone and am 5'10". I know the scales aren't wildly accurate but looking at myself in the mirror and comparing with online pics I would say that I probably am about 37% fat. The ones I use measure visceral fat and apparently I am totally within the healthy range there. If you've got plenty of visible flab still then my bet would be that is where the fat is residing, rather than round the organs.

So long as you are working hard on muscle retention and not eating stupidly low cal then just keep on keeping on would be my advice. My approach is to get to the weight I want and then worry about body composition.

That's really helpful, thank you, and apologies for the late reply. It makes complete sense that if I can still see fat, then it's not hidden somewhere around the organs! I suppose I was worried it might be both, but you're right, if there's still obvious fat to lose, then I'm not going to waste away :)
  • LeiLaura
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

The danger of muscle loss in a deficit is real but vastly over-stated, mostly because it's filtered down from the elite few who are extraordinarily highly trained and already quite lean. To extrapolate what might be likely for them to everyone else who may well have a generous amount of stored energy (fat) and also be undertrained and possibly also starting a novel exercise regime is really poor science. There's plenty of well conducted studies that show people adding muscle in a deficit.
    A reasonable rate of weight loss, higher than usual protein and effective resistance training will see many people add muscle in a deficit. The opposite of the doom and gloom scenario often painted.
    What is much closer to inevitable is a loss of Lean Body Mass, but muscle is only part of that.

Some BIA devices (mostly those with hand and feet sensors) can give a reasonable trend and a reasonable number (if used with care and consistency) but some are just plain hopeless. Sounds like yours are in the second category from your stats.
    Did I read in another thread of yours that you have recently started weight training? The soreness and inflammation from that changes your hydration levels and that has a bit impact on BIA devices.

Progress photos and tape measurements are free and in most ways more reliable indicators of progress over an extended period of time.

Thank you ever so much for your detailed reply, it's really helpful and much-appreciated. Apologies for not replying sooner. Yes, I've been strength training in small amounts (about 2 hours a week, over 2 sessions) for about a month now. I'm definitely looking more toned now. The DOMS had stopped, but I've been aiming for a very slow progressive overload, and it came back with a vengeance this week! I took a couple of days off and switched to swimming for one day, and I was fine when I hit the gym again this morning. It hadn't occurred to me that the machine (yes to the hand and foot sensors) was maybe counting retained water as "fat", that's something to think about, thanks for the tip.
  • LeiLaura
    Options
    slbbw wrote: »
    I got a dexa scan when I was at 147 5'5". So bmi was 24.5 or so. bIA was 29% Dexa was 23%and showed higher fat in my lower half which is why feet only bioimpedrnce was likely so far off. I gained a few lbs back and i am at 33%bia and bmi 25. It's likely closer to 28%in reality.

Oh, that's interesting, thank you!
  • LeiLaura
    Options
    Not sure what machine you are using, but I know my scale is wildly inaccurate. I have a BMI of 19.5, four defined visible abs (next two are starting to show), and my scale puts me at 25% body fat. It just isn't accurate.

With that being said, it is possible (and happens quite frequently) to have a normal weight per BMI and still be overfat. Maybe see your doctor and see if they have any concerns, and if they do what their recommendations are.

Thank you, that's a good idea. I'm starting to think these machines are just gimmicks :)