Help! Biking at 200lbs+

I am 225 lbs and I am so sick and tired of being fat! I am calorie counting but I'd love to exercise a bit. I really used to love cycling before all the fat, and I figured that this could be a fun way to exercise and burn more calories. Problem is I am super ashamed of riding a bike being this fat, not to mention all the fat shaming that goes around for fat people on bikes!! I seriously need some encouragement. Please help. I am also have this fear that I might never find a bike that can hold my weight

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Cycle in the country where there aren't very many people. Some of the areas we cycle. ... we may see only a small handful of other cyclists.

And I don't recall any fat shaming in my cycling circles. Lots of long distance cyclists are a bit overweight.
  • CourierSixx
    CourierSixx Posts: 50 Member
    Oh forgot to add, my bike is a Trek FX. As long as you don't hit potholes or jump off curbs, you will be fine
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    I was 223 at my heaviest and my "female" hybrid mountain/beach bike held up (and has held up) just fine. You should have no problem finding a nice bike you can zip around on. I love mine and you've reminded me I should dust her off and use her again (I've had it for over a decade at this point) :)

And if I am feeling somewhat self-conscious (let's face it, that's almost all the time), I try to find more secluded paths/ways to bike around. Sometimes, that gives you a better workout than the main thoroughfares.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    There are plenty of bike frames that will easily support your frame, especially mountain bike types. Check out 29ers, they have oversized wheels and can motor over logs. If you are into road bikes, there are a lot of nice aluminum frame bikes available that can be acquired very reasonably. The other thing working in your favor is that wider tires have been proven to have less rolling resistance than really skinny road tires, so most road bikes now come with wider tires (25mm or 28mm) as opposed to the 23mm tires that used to be the standard. Get out there and enjoy the trails!
  • beewoman2
    beewoman2 Posts: 2 Member
    I just bought a Crivit arm and leg trainer - it only cost £20 from Aldi - it is a stationary bike that you put on the floor and use from your chair - I currently weigh 200lbs and have terrible ankle swelling and not a lot of balance on a real bike (but not enough room for a full size stationary bike). Anyway I used it for 30 mins today (but I may have to ignore the calorie counter - it told me I had only burnt 15 calories lol
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member

PS I take my 25lb dog with me. We go 25 miles.

Love this. You're fabulous!

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    google Clydesdale or Athena cyclists and you'll get a lot of info on larger sized people into cycling!
  • NaimahJSR
    NaimahJSR Posts: 10 Member
    Thank you so much everyone for the reassurance and lovely comments. I can now confidently invest in a bike and start riding again :)
  • markattwood474
    markattwood474 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi there, the reality is people are busy with there own lives and you are a flashing moment in time, I doubt people will ridicule you and if they do you are on you own mission, it is you that matters. All I would suggest is moderate clothing Mountain bike shorts and a loose top for comfort. It would be a good way of losing weight I currently cycle 6.5 Mile each way to work and back a total of about 13.5 Mile and the information from my Garmin watch is I burn around 750 Calories. Fast pace walking is also a good fat burner I was walking 45 Mins twice a day and losing 4 Kilo per week. I was also counting the calories through the MyFitness Pal, I restrict myself to 1650 Calores per day, this works for me. You might want to consider a gravel/ cyclocross bike with a 700c wheel, good luck and get yourself on that bike.
  • sarahestoutt
    sarahestoutt Posts: 1 Member
    Go get out there! I started my journey at 222lb now down to 202lb and still going! I LOVE my bike(s)! I have a road bike and a mountain bike. I too felt self conscious about being laughed at or ridiculed for being overweight on a bike. More so on my road bike but once I got out there and felt the wind against my face and the sense of achievement getting up that hill and seeing my stamina and fitness improved I didn't care!
  • j91682
    j91682 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello my friend,
    The only one that is going to fat shame you is yourself. When it comes to cycling groups, they really don’t care what you look like as long as you are respectful to them. Yes, you might come across one that might not be the nicest one out there. But for the most part they are all just to have more people on the road with them. About how you feel with your weight and being on a bike, its something that you are going to work to get over it. When I started, I was over 230 and I hated the way I looked in cycling shorts and jersey., but after a couple of rides I didn’t care and was happier about the benefits that they offered. All I can say is just bite the bullet and get on the bike it will make you feel better and you will make some great new friends from it that only want to help you be better.
    As for finding a bike that will fit you for your weight, that is not really an issue. You are going to want to find a bike that will fit you for your height and reach. Weight will only come into play if you are over the 300+ and wanted to go with a high-end carbon bike.
    I ride my bike to and from work every day at 10 miles each way and calorie counting too. Been doing it for a little over a month and am down 15lbs.
    If you want any more info just ask.