Dad bod to Grandpa bod

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    I really have no idea at what % I'll hit the "look" I'm after, nor how long I'll stay. I'm not really interested in competing or anything, I just want to see how far I can chase it without getting too crazy. I've never done this before, and had I only hit 229 instead of 232, I'd probably still be there and more focused on the weight training, as has been my way.

Nice work so far! :)

I've seen this mentioned a few times on this site, you might find it interesting as you continue your quest for single-digit BF%:

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/cost-of-getting-lean-infographic
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Here’s another good article, hot off the “press” -

https://www.myoleanfitness.com/pareto-principle-for-fat-loss/
  • maverick4x4
    maverick4x4 Posts: 80 Member
    Interesting graphic (it's popped up a few times plus other similar ones).

I think any time you have a food plan, and 25 carb, 25 fat, 50 protein is definitely a plan, there is going to be some potential interference with social situations that include food. But honestly, most of those situations have been fairly easy to navigate. Focus on the proteins, on the veggies, "budget" the daily calories, or just pound a protein shake up front and just graze/ ignore the food.

So far the progress has been more or less consistent. I go more strict at times and from time to time, I enjoy the (food) moment. Today was one of those food days, but also included a heavy workout plus a hike. It's been interesting to see the results from long consistent strict stretches and then periods of strictness with high calorie days sprinkled in.

There's more I could do that I haven't had to yet (more cardio, less calories, food timing, whatever else my consultant dreams up) so for now, I'll just keep tracking in MFP, following the macros, drinking the protein shakes and eating the chicken/steak salads with extra meat. 😁😁

If I stall out then I'll reevaluate...and modify either the goals or the methods. But it hasn't really been all that difficult to sustain so far, so no changes yet. I think I'm close... we'll see what the next few weeks bring.

y2iutbj7l72t.jpg
  • pierinifitness
    edited July 2019
    @maverick4x4, consistency is our middle-aged friend in our fitness, health and wellness journey. Thanks for sharing. Keep marching forward.
  • maverick4x4
    edited August 2019
    87h4016vyd77.jpg
    Still at it.

It's been a fun summer, shoulder seems to be to be healing up. Finally able to actually grip the squat bar again, rather than balancing it with my fingertips. My heel also seems to be feeling better as well.

195 has been elusive. I had to tighten things up the last couple weeks.

Next push is to get under 190, I'm excited to see what that looks like. Also starting to think about what maintenance will look like with protein at 200 g/day. Guessing total calories will be around 2,300 cal/day.
  • maverick4x4
    The last couple of weeks have been productive and Labor Day weekend was fun, actually hit my lowest weight since I was in my early 20s at 191.3 on Saturday. Then we ATE! LOL we spent some time at a family cabin and enjoyed a big sourdough pancake, sausage, bacon, egg, fruit breakfast and other snacks, instantly jumped to 196 then back to 194 this morning. I don't worry too much about water weight fluctuations after higher than normal carb days, but it's interesting to track. In fact, I'm planning on an instant gain of 3-5 lbs once I go into maintenance phase, since I'll mainly be eating more carbs (it's hard to imagine increasing my 200g/day protein).

Body comp goals are getting closer...just a little fat left under the pecs that needs to be gone before I'll be satisfied. Maybe it will happen between 185-190?

My heel is almost better, I've been jogging a little, but no sprints or sled pulls yet. Shoulder is still painful and squats with any more than warmup weight are hit and miss; it's very difficult to get the bar in the right spot on my traps to use any appreciable weight, so spending extra effort on the leg press. At least the shoulder will tolerate heavier deadlifts again and they are getting worked back in.

m4rrcosacp92.jpg
  • maverick4x4
    edited September 2019
    fjbjrwab78nr.jpg
    jww1fp75ayac.jpgkgrsfswkypgq.jpg

I did an "Inbody" bf% test at Vasa... anyone buying it? I personally don't think my abs are popping enough to be in the single digits. (the jury is still out on whether or not I'm going to shave to find out)

• pierinifitness
    Thanks for continuing to share your journey. You're making good progress and look happy. Good for you. You do have some decent musculature but based on my experience with DXA-Scans, I don't judged that you're single digit in the BF percentage department. Like that old photo, think I partied with you in the good olden days.

Keep marching forward, you'll get there.
  • pierinifitness
    Hey @maverick4x4, thought you might enjoy this one where the person had his body fat percentage tested using two methods on the same day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMCcHFIArOk
  • maverick4x4
    Thanks! Planning on the Dexascan soon. I did the underwater back in my 30s, got to 12%. I feel like I'm at about the same leanness as then, though a lot less muscle mass. It would be interesting to do both or all three (water, dx, inbody) on the same day, plus calipers.

I wish my shoulders were healthy enough to do endless pullups like in the video.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Wow well done you.
    Very impressive results.

You mentioned your shoulders not being healthy. What's your issue there? I'm dealing with a torn rotator cuff I'll be having repaired in October but wow it really puts a damper on upper body workouts. Nothing seems to work. I used to have really nicely defined shoulders. Sadly no longer
  • maverick4x4
    Sorry to hear that about your shoulders. Hopefully the surgery fixes things up.

I have a SLAP tear in my left shoulder from 10 years ago. I chose to not do surgery but focused on a lot of therapy type exercises, and two years ago when we did the bicep tendon, I discussed it with my surgeon and we decided that since it was doing well that we didn't need to go into the shoulder.

On my right shoulder, I took a spill off a scooter at the beginning of the summer and aggravated the tendons. So I basically couldn't do much chest through most of the summer. Luckily I've been able to continue with overhead presses and other shoulder exercises. In recent weeks I've been able to do some incline and some light dumbbells, and then the last couple weeks I've been able to start doing dips again. I started doing really really light movements on a dip machine several weeks ago and I believe that has helped with the progress.

The main reason I logged in to comment today was to comment on the progress, or lack thereof, over the summer, and what I think is happening. I think that the lack of chest work through the first part of the summer was responsible for some of the body weight losses through the summer. Ever since I started doing more weight on chest, my bodyweight has gone back up a couple pounds and stabilized in the 195 to 199 range.

n3cnk5snexbo.jpg

ye6zfuzk0jdd.jpg

I've actually hit my definition goal, but wanted to hit my tracking goal of 190 before I started a maintenance phase. Once I did that, I wanted to shave and get a couple photos. Yes it's a vanity thing, but it also helps set a baseline that I can refer back to as I do maintenance and also if I do any bulking. I tend to rationalize that I'm staying lean, when in fact I'm not.

I'm debating on pushing through to 190, or calling it good now and experimenting with maintaining for a few weeks and seeing what happens. Whenever I do the maintenance phase, whether it's now or later, I think I'm going to keep my fat and protein grams the same, and increase my daily carb grams from 100 grams to 200 grams.
  • maverick4x4
    I think I'm going to enjoy Thanksgiving and then get a little leaner. Definition goal is not quite met yet.
  • maverick4x4
    I thought I had noted this, but I guess not. I was severely undercounting my servings of Kirkland Mixed Nuts. What I thought was 1 serving was between 3-4, so basically from Aug to Nov, I had an extra 500cal/day. Ugh. I was in maintenance mode and didn't know it. Bodyweight was basically plateaued. I think I figured this out in late Nov or early Dec. I'll be going in to the Sept-Oct entrees and fixing the serving sizes, so that at least the data set is accurate.

I enjoyed some high cal days over the last few weeks, and many usual days in the 1600-1800cal range. I'll probably snack on SuperBowl, but otherwise, getting really strict again for a bit. In the 197-202 range for the last few weeks. Lots of water weight fluctuations, which is ok. My weekly average should still be in deficit but the bodyweight trend is upwards. I'd like to think I'm gaining some mass....but I don't think I am. Wondering if my base rate has gone down?
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    I thought I had noted this, but I guess not. I was severely undercounting my servings of Kirkland Mixed Nuts. What I thought was 1 serving was between 3-4, so basically from Aug to Nov, I had an extra 500cal/day. Ugh. I was in maintenance mode and didn't know it. Bodyweight was basically plateaued. I think I figured this out in late Nov or early Dec. I'll be going in to the Sept-Oct entrees and fixing the serving sizes, so that at least the data set is accurate.

I enjoyed some high cal days over the last few weeks, and many usual days in the 1600-1800cal range. I'll probably snack on SuperBowl, but otherwise, getting really strict again for a bit. In the 197-202 range for the last few weeks. Lots of water weight fluctuations, which is ok. My weekly average should still be in deficit but the bodyweight trend is upwards. I'd like to think I'm gaining some mass....but I don't think I am. Wondering if my base rate has gone down?

Don't overthink it. At this stage of leanness water fluctuations are going to be enough to create a lot of noise, especially for variations in sodium intake. I say trust the process until the data really says otherwise.
  • maverick4x4
    edited February 2020
    Grandpa is trying to get stronger.

My 17yo son and I were chatting the other night and he was asking how strong I was, especially relative to my previous PRs. (short answer: way less strong).

I haven't been able to bench much since June (scooter wipeout) and my squat is in the toilet so it got me to thinking about ratios between lifts so I looked it up.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/know-your-ratios-destroy-weaknesses gave me some good rules of thumb, notably, incline bench (which I can do) is typically 80% of flat (which I cannot go heavy on yet) and flat and incline are 75% and 60% of back squat, respectively.

In the meantime, I pushed it the next day (Feb 3) on chest/back and tried to it the following day on legs but fell a little short of where I thought I was...kind of. I only got 3 cruddy reps on back squat at less weight than what I thought should have been my 5 rep set, but went back down to the previous set weight and had plenty for my 10 reps (based on the hoped for 5RM weight). (some of my squatting woes have to do with my shoulders and ability to grip the bar)
    https://www.nsca.com/contentassets/61d813865e264c6e852cadfe247eae52/nsca_training_load_chart.pdf

I plugged in my results to my calculator and concluded that I'm not doing as bad as I thought in some areas, and as expected (bad) in others.

I pushed it again on incline bench and back squat yesterday and today and did a little better. Over the next few weeks along with the focus on pushing the fat loss, I'll be focused on building my incline max 3RM and 5RM as well as squat 5RM. Deads are supposed to be 120% of backsquat, but I'm not all that interested in moving that much weight :wink: 100% is quite enough.

Brett
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Nice vascularity, man. you look pretty ripped.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    <3
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!