Dad bod to Grandpa bod

Replies

• michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    that is incredible job you rock
  • maverick4x4
    maverick4x4 Posts: 80 Member
    that is incredible job you rock

Thanks! I'm just trying to follow the program, and balance immediate rewards with long term goals. The scale is giving me a different story than the mirror...I'm in this weird 195-199 spot, and I seem to be unwilling to do more cardio or eat less to break out of it. Plus quite a few excursions into "maintenance level" calorie days. One step forward, one step back.
  • mrschwarten
    mrschwarten Posts: 194 Member
    Hahaha! Love your attitude, thanks for the motivation!!!
  • maverick4x4
    March update: COVID-19 starting to ramp up in Utah. I'm fortunate to have a neighbor offer his backyard gym to use. It's not quite 24 Hour Fitness, but it's actually very well equipped. It's a little weird to work out with gloves on. I'm still working. And instead of going out to lunch everyday, we're getting take-out at the same places. So, other than washing my hands a zillion times a day and wiping down everything with disinfecting wipes, not much has changed. Lots of watching news sites and crunching numbers too.

Scale weight and perceived leanness hasn't changed. Still 196-199. Still doing the bro-diet using MyFitnessPal to track everything. Last couple weeks I've had higher carbs (150g instead of 100g), kind of maintenance mode (chips/7layer and peanut butter M&Ms are the main additions). I'm dropping them down again for a couple weeks. Fat and protein goals have stayed the same at 44g/200g. I hope to come out of this COVID business a little leaner.

The structure of my first 4 sessions each week hasn't changed, but I guess the last 2 have. For my Friday session, I've been doing a few sets of thrusters with dumbbells, then heavy shoulders on one of the hammer machines, supersetted with deadlifts. On Saturday, I've been doing heavy squatsled supersetted with heavy Hammer chest and back, typically 6-7 rounds, with dips/chins to finish. Well, no sled or Hammer Strength machines in the backyard gym, so I'm just going for a short run on Friday and doing the thruster/shoulder/deadlift on Saturday.
  • maverick4x4
    Hahaha! Love your attitude, thanks for the motivation!!!

Thanks for checking in and the kind note! Our attitude is the only thing that we can truly control, and thankfully I generally have a good one (whether I'm naively delusional or not is debatable) :wink:
  • maverick4x4
    Still at it, bangin' around in the 190s. Still trying to get a little leaner but enjoying the summer and enjoying the process. My gym closed as I commented above but now the other gym I was a member of reopened (VASA) and so I've been going there. Equipment isn't as good and with it being smaller the equipment isn't as available but making do. Strength levels suck, mostly due to shoulder and knee issues. I'm consistently jogging a mile once a week, which I've never done before. I don't love it, but feel like I need to do it.
  • maverick4x4
    October check in, same as July. Maintaining without meaning to maintain. Seems like I should still be losing but I'm not.
  • RVLife33912
    RVLife33912 Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2020
    That's awesome! It's so nice to see fit Grandparents! I have 8 and alot of people think my daughter and I are sisters...

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Sidebar: this thread need more recent pics, please. The MFP Thirst Community (MFPTC) - of which I am but one of legion - thanks all previous JPG, PNG and/or GIF contributors for their service. /sidebar

• maverick4x4
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Sidebar: this thread need more recent pics, please. The MFP Thirst Community (MFPTC) - of which I am but one of legion - thanks all previous JPG, PNG and/or GIF contributors for their service. /sidebar

Here you go. wlgw7hwluxm6.jpg
  • MiNinaLisa
    MiNinaLisa Posts: 648 Member

you ALWAYS get what you want! :D
  • MiNinaLisa
    MiNinaLisa Posts: 648 Member

well done Sir - impressive changes!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    MiNinaLisa wrote: »

In absolute agreement over here 🙋🏿‍♀️ @MiNinaLisa is never wrong, besides.

As to whether a refeed is going to be helpful will depend on your goals. Mind you, your ability to maintain is quite impressive in and of itself @maverick4x4!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Came to see what a Grandad Bod is.

Was not disappointed.
  • Mojorisen1
    Mojorisen1 Posts: 18 Member
    I know I'm here '1 yr+' late, but great job and hopefully you are keeping up the good work!
  • maverick4x4
    MiNinaLisa wrote: »

In absolute agreement over here 🙋🏿‍♀️ @MiNinaLisa is never wrong, besides.

As to whether a refeed is going to be helpful will depend on your goals. Mind you, your ability to maintain is quite impressive in and of itself @maverick4x4!

Thanks, I appreciate that!

I was maintaining while trying to lose, which was bumming me out...I was hoping that maintaining would be closer to 2200cal/day rather than 1600.

In the gym I'm used to "trying to improve" = "maintaining" (or "slowing the decline") but I was really hoping this 1600cal/day wouldn't become the new normal.

Goals are to get under 190 / get a 6-pack and then maintain between there and current leanness, and try to get my squat back up a little.

There's a little lateral vein on my right bicep that comes and goes, keeping it visible will be my maintenance goal 😎💪😉
  • maverick4x4
    Actual Grandpa photo, with my bride and oldest grandson. Also Harry the designer mutt.

z4379hybrm7g.jpg
  • maverick4x4
    edited December 2020
    jwdexi1rink9.jpg
    Modifying my diet to add refeeds.

I've been on my "bro-diet" for 2 years. Macros set at 1600cal/day, 25/50/25 c/p/f

Over the first 8 months I dropped weight 232 to 192, pretty consistently. The mirror and gym performance suggest that it was mostly fat that I lost, so pretty happy. Based on what I was eating and losing, I was able to back-calculate my starting BMR at 2100-2300.

After 8 months, I plateaued in August 2019. Then in November 2019, I discovered that I had been undercounting an afternoon snack of mixed nuts, dating back to Sept. Severely....to the tune of 500 cal/day. Mostly fat*. That was the end of that snack.

Through Christmas and holidays, I rarely went more than 100cal over my goals, actually, from then until this last Oct I've been very consistent. Got down to 191 but that's it. Avg has been 1700cal/week, weight stayed 195 +/- 2lbs. Basically no change for 15 months! Even after identifying some mistakes, the scale/mirror/strength didn't change. I was hoping to go back to 2200ish and maintain, but I was concerned that my new BMR was "permanently" at 1700, so I started reading about plateaus and saw the stuff here about refeeding, leptins, and Lyle McDonald. *Since the undercounted mixed nuts were fat calories, they didn't do much to refeed.

I've done 3 short refeeds now, with a few weeks in between: a 3 day, then 9 days during Thanksgiving week, and 2.5 days last weekend. I was in the 2400-2900 cal/day range each of those times...you know, just to make sure I was over BMR :D I don't have much to show for it except I'm 7 lbs heavier, look the same, and a little stronger.

It seems like it may need to be a weekly thing, so I'm going to try a 5/2 or 4.5/2.5 split, maybe a 2/1/2/2 split. I like the idea of refeeding on the weekend, plus maybe half day friday (to prep for a light fullbody Sat am to increase sensitivity) or a full day Wednesday to help with glycogen loading for Thurs/Friday workouts. To be clear, Sat/Sun will be refeed days, Mon/Tues will be calorie deficient days, and then I'm going to experiment with the other three days. There will be a minimum of 4 calorie deficient days/week, sometimes 4.5 and sometimes 5.

Scale goals have been adjusted...not sure what it will be right now, just looking for a downward trend again. Pretty consistently at 202-204 since starting the refeeds. Assuming glycogen stays consistently recharged, and daily water weight fluctuations, maybe a net 5-10 lbs will do it? Or maybe this will just be the new normal for a while period?

Oh, refeed days will be 2250 cal, 45/35/20 cpf. Still looking at g/lb of protein, and upping the carbs to make the difference. Calorie deficient days will continue at 1600 25/50/25 cpf, though I may take this to 1700 or 1800 later on.

This is all pretty new for me, and certainly counter intuitive. I've got the track record of sticking to the plan, and I have 2 years of daily calorie intake and 4-5 days/week of scale weight, so as a nerd exercise, I'll be exporting the data and graphing to see if I can identify any "accidental" refeeds over the last two years.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    I'll be curious to see how things go. I'm so far away from needing refeeds or anything like that, I'm just tucking the anecdotal data away for later uses. You're doing awesome so far, though. Has anyone ever told you, you look a little like Vin Diesel? By the way, that's a very good thing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!