How to kill a sweet tooth??

Options
Hi there,
My name is Joanne and I am really struggling with craving sweets. I have always had a desert and now the deserts are what I am craving more than a meal.
Any suggestions would be helpful on how to deal with this frustrating, nagging person in my head!

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    This is kooky, but I did try bitter herbal teas, which I still do from time to time, only now it's mostly water, soon after I wake up and before I'll sit down for a meal@16 - 32 oz per cup, which has not once prevented me from finishing my one serving.

Initially I'd started out with bitter teas as a means to curb my cravings, from some article in the late '90s, only now, I actually do enjoy them.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have something that also seems a bit crazy. I think mine was cured when I fixed my gut microbiome. If you have too many of the wrong sort of bacteria in your gut they can drive an insane desire for sweets. I went through a bit of a protocol and take modbiotics to regulate the bacteria and it has really helped.

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Pamela_Sue wrote: »
    I love chocolate, and many others have suggested the Ghiradelli chocolate squares at 50 calories each. One per day. Unfortunately, I tried this and ate the entire bag of squares in one day.

So, what works for me, is to find something you like, but do not love. I like sugar free chocolate pudding, it helps with the sweet craving. But I don't love it and would never eat more than one.

My old haunt@Ghirardelli Square plus their quality chocolates, picnicking by Fisherman's Wharf. I agree with you - with Ghirardelli's chocolates (also See's Candy chocolate), it can never be just the one, sometimes #Sweet unsweetened treat cheats.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    k8eekins wrote: »
    Pamela_Sue wrote: »
    I love chocolate, and many others have suggested the Ghiradelli chocolate squares at 50 calories each. One per day. Unfortunately, I tried this and ate the entire bag of squares in one day.

So, what works for me, is to find something you like, but do not love. I like sugar free chocolate pudding, it helps with the sweet craving. But I don't love it and would never eat more than one.

My old haunt@Ghirardelli Square plus their quality chocolates, picnicking by Fisherman's Wharf. I agree with you - with Ghirardelli's chocolates (also See's Candy chocolate), it can never be just the one, sometimes #Sweet unsweetened treat cheats.

Oh yeah - See's Nuts & Chews. I moved from Washington State to Oklahoma and I can only get See's by mail order. Long sigh . . .
  • Jen2133
    Jen2133 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Plain old will-power! Once you break the habit, you'll find your cravings diminish and you won't have the 'hangry' feeling that comes with sugar.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    vczy11ucyl0i.gif
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    My husband, who has a sweet tooth has one small goodie, like one cookie then makes a smoothie with some fruit, almond milk, yogurt, thickener
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I dumped my sweets on day one of mfp. Within two weeks of eating pescatarian, my cravings were gone.

Some people fit their treats into their calories. My treats were part of my overeating, so I opted to go cold turkey. It worked well for me.
  • rutzsa
    rutzsa Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like to have 1/2 cup of sugar free jello with a squirt of reddi whip real cream topping for a total of 55 cal ( 10 for jello 45 for topping). Its creamy enough to feel like you ate something satisfying.
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't try. I like my sweets. I just make sure to keep my calories under. I haven't had to go w/out diner yet, but its been close a few times.
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm this way with chips. I read somewhere that you should have a small portion. For me that means a whole bag of chips. Once I start... no off switch! However, after having a small portion you are then supposed to think about how you will be able to have some again another day/time and that you CAN wait for it. It's not going to be the last time you get it. It's trying to avoid the whole avoidance/backfire thing.
    I've had success with this method a couple times with sweets, but for it to work with chips, I just need to buy a small container of pringles or a small bag to ensure I stop then and not after a big bag.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I'm this way with chips. I read somewhere that you should have a small portion. For me that means a whole bag of chips. Once I start... no off switch! However, after having a small portion you are then supposed to think about how you will be able to have some again another day/time and that you CAN wait for it. It's not going to be the last time you get it. It's trying to avoid the whole avoidance/backfire thing.
    I've had success with this method a couple times with sweets, but for it to work with chips, I just need to buy a small container of pringles or a small bag to ensure I stop then and not after a big bag.

Yep, I'm exactly the same way which is specifically why I pre-bag/portion appropriate serving sizes and by snack/fun/mini size versions. I find that I get that same 'ate the whole thing' satisfaction regardless of how big the serving was.

I want a snickers? Then I'll eat a whole snickers but it will be a whole snickers and will be a fun size snickers for about 80cals instead of 400cals. I want chips? I'll eat a whole bag of chips except it will be one of the pre-portioned ziplock bags of chips for about 100cals rather than the much larger 500cal bag.
  • mkmaske23
    mkmaske23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! I struggle with this so much!!!! What works for me is a rice thin with peanut butter and a couple chocolate chips on it. I also keep trident layers gum at hand at all times. I also like Tampico popsicles, they’re super low in calories and sugar.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Mine is tootsie roll midgees. Don’t chew them. Let them melt in your mouth. Good enough to satisfy. Not good enough to want more.

Or go cold turkey if you think it will work better for you. The third day may be the hardest.

Drink something sour, grapefruit juice or sour lemonade.

Try frozen grapes or frozen strawberries. Just pop one at a time, instead of popping a mini candy bar.

Experiment until you find your way.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I have read some people freeze choc chips, then just eat a few. I have choc chips but I know it would not do it for me.
    What I do instead is make a mix of unsweetened cocoa, 1 packet of truvia, a bit of cinnamon, and add weighed out almonds and walnuts. Then measure out in 1 oz servings. And bag in snack size bags. And only eat one per day. I make sure I have the calories, fat, protein and carb room. It is a tasty snack under 100 calories. Often with a cup of hot tea.

I do not trust myself with a bag of any type of choc bars even if mini.