Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Please help with this argument- Intermittent fasting related

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    It"'s funny to me how the people who believe that IF is only a way of scheduling when you eat and who believe that weight loss is just about CICO are so dismissive of the possibity of any other benefits from IF than just weight loss.

It's seems that the argument is that, since there is no scientifically acceptable proof that there are other benefits, there can't possibly be any other benefits, which is pure nonsense. There can be benefits that just haven't been proven yet

I know that since I started doing IF over 3 months ago that I have been better able to control my wt, even when I haven't strictly followed my IF schedule and have not strictly limited my cal intake, which contradicts the premise that it's only about scheduling and CICO

I'm not trying to make the case that there actually are other benefits to IF but to dismiss any possibilty that there "may" be other benefits is shortsighted and bigoted

I don't see anyone dismissing that possibility. I do see some, including me, taking a wait and see approach. Honestly, I think that is prudent.

As I've stated twice already in this thread, I do IF. So, I would love to see other benefits proven. They have not been yet though. I don't dismiss the possibility that they may. Or may not.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    It"'s funny to me how the people who believe that IF is only a way of scheduling when you eat and who believe that weight loss is just about CICO are so dismissive of the possibity of any other benefits from IF than just weight loss.

It's seems that the argument is that, since there is no scientifically acceptable proof that there are other benefits, there can't possibly be any other benefits, which is pure nonsense. There can be benefits that just haven't been proven yet

I know that since I started doing IF over 3 months ago that I have been better able to control my wt, even when I haven't strictly followed my IF schedule and have not strictly limited my cal intake, which contradicts the premise that it's only about scheduling and CICO

I'm not trying to make the case that there actually are other benefits to IF but to dismiss any possibilty that there "may" be other benefits is shortsighted and bigoted

This can be said about anything. There could be benefits to hitting yourself on the head with a hammer that just haven't been proven yet. It's not a good argument for doing something.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member

I'm not trying to make the case that there actually are other benefits to IF but to dismiss any possibility that there "may" be other benefits is shortsighted and bigoted

To state that there can't possibly be any other benefits is false. The golden mean is always somewhere in the middle of absolutes.

A simple provable benefit is that it establishes a routine as a stimulus for change. It helps establish discipline.

Statements like these come from people with a basic misunderstanding of science - just enough information to make them dangerous. There are few absolutes in reality, we tend to continually re-evaluate "what is known" based upon new data and new perspectives.

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member

The way science works, you could make the argument about pegasus - sure people say pegasus don't exist, so they must be motivated to disbelieve which is why they'll never accept scientific evidence showing pegasus exist. You could even point out that the people who believe that ones who think evolution explain biodiversity, in analogy to people saying CICO causes weight loss. I say the analogy because it works - evolution actually explains you would not see a pegasus because an tetrapod won't evolve into a hexapod, the body plan is too fixed. CICO explains weight loss, and along with some other physiology principles that are understood by many that understood CICO, they realize a lot of IF benefits are going to be from weight loss.

It is always possible IF has some benefits that go beyond the psychological regulation it helps with. So far, there isn't a lot of evidence that teases itself clear as separate from weight loss.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited September 2019
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Then there are those of us that are not looking for any other possibilities other than a way to control our eating. If IF/TRE/Skipping Breakfast/Whatever helps us...that is good enough. I really don't care if others approve or not...just doesn't matter to me.

And obviously no one disapproves of this.

It's pretty clear what people object to -- claims that IF is better than other eating schedules for all or has magical effects or makes one superior (or those who don't think it's perfect inferior). If that's not you, you are just doing what most everyone does -- going with an eating schedule that works for you.

My usual eating schedule 3 meals no snacks or, occasionally, 2 meals no snacks, works really well for me. But I don't claim I'm healthier or more energetic or getting all sorts of magical effects or following a superior plan than those who prefer other eating schedules, so most people don't really care whether my eating schedule is what they personally would prefer, and that's how I feel about those who eat in a more narrow window daily.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    @Annie_01 - Figuring out the why and then finding the best/easiest way to achieve weight management goals is definitely the key to success.

Thanks for sharing your painfully difficult story. I hope it helps people realize that we're all on the same road.
    We just might be driving different vehicles. <3
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    raven56706 wrote: »
    What i am trying to say is there is no magic to it correct?

No magic. As it stands at the moment in relation to what we know right now it's just an eating pattern.