Body weight workout

Options
Hi,
I am looking for workouts that only use body weight. I am not a huge fan of the weight section at my gym but I want to gain some muscle mass. Suggestions?

Replies

• jankroeze
    jankroeze Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's not much different than training with weights to be honest. You can "translate" a lot of weighted exercises to their bodyweight-alternatives. It takes a bit more imagination and work to regress or progress though. You are going to have to manipulate angles, levers and exercise selection instead of just slipping on another plate. Building muscle is very much possible with bodyweight only, up to a certain point.

So let's go at it step by step:

- How often do you want to train?
    - Will you be doing a split or full-body training?
    - What exercises do you need at the minimum?
    - What are your weak spots that need extra attention?

So let's start with the assumption that you're a beginner. In general, 3x/week full body training is ideal for beginners. Exercise selection should be based on compound movements. Squat-pattern, hip-hinge, vertical push/pull and horizontal push/pull. Add rotational movements and carries. Shoulders, glutes, adductors and abductors are common weak spots, but ofcourse I don't know yours.

A common approach is to create 2 workouts that alternate for a frequency of 3x/week. After every workout day you take at least 1 day rest. You will end up with something like A-Rest-B-Rest-A-Rest-Rest for week 1, starting week 2 with the B-workout.

Workout A:
    Hip-hinge: think kettlebell swings, sandbag deadlifts, bridges etc.
    Vertical Pull: pull-up progression
    Vertical Push: pike-pushup progression
    Rotational: think turkish getup, russian twist, woodchoppers, sledgehammer swings, rotating suspended crunches or even plank-variations with a twist, TRX lateral swings
    Corrective: depends on your weak spot, could be clamshells for your medial glutes for example
    Carry: exactly what it says... pick up something heavy and walk around (with good posture ofcourse) for a set amount of steps or seconds.

Workout B:
    Squat: think air squat, split-squat, 1-legged squat, or squats with sandbags/logs/boulders
    Horizontal Pull: Bodyweight Row progression
    Horizontal Push: Push Up progression
    Rotational: think turkish getup, russian twist, woodchoppers, sledgehammer swings, rotating suspended crunches or even plank-variations with a twist, TRX lateral swings
    Corrective: depends on your weak spot, could be working on your rotator cuff for example
    Carry: exactly what it says... pick up something heavy and walk around (with good posture ofcourse) for a set amount of steps or seconds.

Sets and reps: 3 sets of 10-ish for the larger movements, 2 sets of 15 for rotational and corrective work, and a time interval for the carry, for example 2x30 seconds at first.

Rest: the higher the intensity (weight) the longer the rest periods. So for the main exercises, don't be surprised if you need at least 2 minutes of rest between sets. For the last 3, 1 minute or so between sets should be fine.

Intensity: you should barely be able to hit the number of reps you need to do. If you manage, increase resistance the next time and start building back up again until you hit the amount of reps again.

This goes a bit deeper than just the surface, but I realize there's still more to tell. It goes beyond the scope of a simple forum post, though.

So.....

Google:
    - "recommended routine" for a complete routine (actually pretty darn awesome, this one)
    - "red delta project" for loads of informative videos and decently written books
    - "school of calisthenics" or "GMB fitness" or "Cali Move" or "the bodyweight warrior" for some calisthenics-based trainers I highly recommend.

Most importantly: start moving and try to keep having fun.

GL!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    leve04 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am looking for workouts that only use body weight. I am not a huge fan of the weight section at my gym but I want to gain some muscle mass. Suggestions?

When I lived in yoga communities I knew people who had nice muscles from Ashtanga (Power) style yoga only. However, this is a far less efficient way to build muscle.

How about a few sessions with a personal trainer at your gym to get more comfortable with the weight section?
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the bodyweight fitness program "Body by you" by Mark Lauren for about 3 months now and I'm shocked at the amount of muscle I've put on. I didn't know that was possible! His other program "You are your own gym" is a more advanced one but with the same principles.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    In the link posted above look at the Nerdfitness bodyweight routine. It is great for a beginner as it is simple to follow with few moves.

Once you can complete it as written move on to another workout. This can be a more complex/challenging bodyweight, dumbbell, or barbell.

I started with the Nerdfitness and Hasfit dumbbell, moved to full dumbbell, then progresses to a barbell.

You may find by the time you have completed a bodyweight workout programme at the gym you are comfortable enough in that environment to move into the freeweight section. I was.

Cheers, h.