What do you do when you feel a binge coming on?

Options
It's been 23 days since I last binged which is my record in a while. I've reached my goal weight (5'4 115 lbs), but I've been super ravenous these past couple of days and I can't stop thinking about food. I normally eat 1500 calories per day and work out 3-4x/week. I allow myself 1-2 treats per day. The treats are still relatively healthy (like 80% chocolate, a protein or fruit/nut bar, small latte...etc). Anyone know of any tips or tricks on how to overcome the strong desire to binge? Most of my binges are fuelled by sugar cravings. When I binge, I never feel the urge to eat my usual healthy food, but junk food like cookies, chips, pizza, ice cream..etc.

Replies

• RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    I believe there is a line between being disciplined with eating and listening to your body. If you really are craving sugar, you might actually need sugar. I often go "off plan" and slam a Gatorade or something because I can just tell I need it by how drained I feel.
  • VeroniqueBoilard
    VeroniqueBoilard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should eat at maintenance for a few days? Eat back all exercise calories? You are at a very healthy weight, you are close to being too skinny (BMI).
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    There is no "junk" food. It is just food. The only reason to deny yourself of certain foods is if you absolutely cannot moderate them.
  • EnergyBender667
    Options
    Maybe you should eat at maintenance for a few days? Eat back all exercise calories? You are at a very healthy weight, you are close to being too skinny (BMI).

I believe I already eat at maintenance (1500 according to some calculators) and it still doesn't stop me from feeling ravenous some days.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I believe I already eat at maintenance (1500 according to some calculators) and it still doesn't stop me from feeling ravenous some days.

How tall are you? How much do you weigh? How old are you? How active?

My maintenance calories are ~2400.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    1500 is very unlikely to be your maintenance.. you are light for your height.
    If you are hungry eat a bit more, your body is telling you it needs a little more fuel.
    Ps I'm a few inches smaller and maintain on 1900 cals, (I'm active/ 50yo)
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options

I would almost agree that it sounds like you are under eating.

I also realize that I am terrible at relating to these issues with people with Lower calories being that my current cut diet is between 2800-3300 cals a day.
  • EnergyBender667
    Options

I'm 23 years old, 5'4 and 115 pounds. I workout for 35-45 min 4 times a week and do a combination of sitting and standing/walking around at work. I'd say I'm borderline sedentary aside from my work outs. According to online calculators, my maintenance for sedentary females is 1500.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I'm 23 years old, 5'4 and 115 pounds. I workout for 35-45 min 4 times a week and do a combination of sitting and standing/walking around at work. I'd say I'm borderline sedentary aside from my work outs. According to online calculators, my maintenance for sedentary females is 1500.

So, you're not counting in your exercise calories? TDEE calculators count exercise calories (MFP does not).

vaw5cb5w5ie0.jpg
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options

You're not sedentary, you're lightly active plus workout calories or active and don't count workouts cals cause they are factored in. Also, what does your overall lifestyle look like?

For instance I call myself very active and dont bother with exercise cals because my job often involves a fair amount of heavy lifting and is in the elements, I train almost every day, usually lifting, sometimes cycling. When I'm not working or training, I'm often doing active things like hiking, fishing, shooting, snowboarding (in the winter), riding my motorcycle (it burns cals trust me) etc.

Not every day is the same - like today I haven't done much of anything at work - but I'll lift tonight and over the course of the week it will balance out to "very active"
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Don't binge... why not treat yourself to free meal of what you want. Keep it to that..maybe do it once a week or so now that your at maintenance ...you just don't want to binge which is a self destructive pattern of people who always gain the weight back. It takes time..but you can change and not be that person.
  • mariececilia10
    mariececilia10 Posts: 77 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Also, as a female, you may experience these hunger spikes in relation to your cycle. Almost every time I have a massive binge I get my period the very next day. Still working on solutions lol but I’m trying to eat more nutritious foods, as well as allow myself slightly more calories in the days leading up to the start of my period. You mentioned your last binge was 23 days ago and you’re feeling your hunger increase. So if you have a regular period your body might be gearing up for it.

Editing to add that ovulation can (and does for me) also drive hunger and all sorts of other symptoms. I’m 26 and just found out this last year that it’s relatively common to have hunger and other symptoms (also weight spikes) around ovulation. It doesn’t seem to be talked about nearly as much as periods for some reason, when symptoms can be just as severe.