Can I rescue my meal-prep disaster? Fibre too high!

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
edited September 2019 in Food and Nutrition
So I followed a recipe for red lentil soup, doubled the lentils for protein, and added quinoa. I divided it into 5 portions. It tastes fine. It’s left me twice now with painful gas & bloating & constipation I’m thinking because the fibre is just way too high.

I normally eat rather high fibre to begin with. I followed my legume + whole grain basis for all my meals I make & freeze for lunches. I typically take a fibre supplement to counter my iron pills.

Is there anything you recommend I do to counter the awful effects? Or should I toss it?

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have that reaction to some pulses too - depends how they're cooked. If cooked for ages or in a pressure cooker, and with a tsp of bicarb soda it's ok - you need to cook the gas out of them - you will see the top of the beans/pulses the liquid will be all bubbly with gas - you need to cook it until all that bubbly gas stuff disappears.

Then you can eat it fine.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,603 Member
    Options
    I would try boiling a few hours longer with some extra stock.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Thanks guys!! So I won’t be able to take them as lunches as they are, but maybe I can have them at home and boil them on the stove for a bit beforehand?

I have beans most days but yeah it’s been a while since I’ve made lentils. I cooked it in the crock pot on high for 6 hours so I thought it was plenty but maybe more next time!
  • kiela64
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Sprinkle in some cumin seeds into the mix. They help with bloating and are often consumed after a mean at an Indian type restaurant / meals.
    Thanks! Is that different from powdered cumin? The recipe has that already, but I can easily add more when I add liquid and re-boil. If it’s something else I’ll need to buy it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »
    Thanks guys!! So I won’t be able to take them as lunches as they are, but maybe I can have them at home and boil them on the stove for a bit beforehand?

I have beans most days but yeah it’s been a while since I’ve made lentils. I cooked it in the crock pot on high for 6 hours so I thought it was plenty but maybe more next time!

Some legumes need 10-15 minutes of boiling for best digestibility/nutrition. For sure, Red kidney beans do (they contain a potential toxin). I've not read this about lentils, but it's worth a try: Next time, try boiling for a few minutes on the stove before dumping in the crock pot.

As far as saving the current batch, I like the recommendation to thin it out with some extra veggies or broth that will taste good in the mix, and see if that helps.
  • kiela64
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Some legumes need 10-15 minutes of boiling for best digestibility/nutrition. For sure, Red kidney beans do (they contain a potential toxin). I've not read this about lentils, but it's worth a try: Next time, try boiling for a few minutes on the stove before dumping in the crock pot.

As far as saving the current batch, I like the recommendation to thin it out with some extra veggies or broth that will taste good in the mix, and see if that helps.

Thanks!! I usually use canned beans, but I used dried lentils this time and I’ll definitely do that next time.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Instructions for most dried legumes require either soaking overnight, and then dumping the water. If you are short on time you can also boil 10-15 minutes, discard the water then cook until tender in new water. The soak or boil and discarding the water aids digestibility.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    You could half the portions and make up the calories with something easily digestible, like rice.
  • kiela64
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Instructions for most dried legumes require either soaking overnight, and then dumping the water. If you are short on time you can also boil 10-15 minutes, discard the water then cook until tender in new water. The soak or boil and discarding the water aids digestibility.

I know this is true for green lentils, but the red ones supposedly don’t need this? My mom has made soup with them and it’s been fine, and the package doesn’t have those instructions.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I know this is true for green lentils, but the red ones supposedly don’t need this? My mom has made soup with them and it’s been fine, and the package doesn’t have those instructions.

I agree, soaking and boiling red or brown lentils in that way would just leave you with a pot of mush. The beauty of most lentils is supposed to be that they are quicker and easier to cook from dry in a pinch. Perhaps it was the combo of the lentils and quinoa for some reason? Did you use any spices you don't typically eat?
  • kiela64
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I agree, soaking and boiling red or brown lentils in that way would just leave you with a pot of mush. The beauty of most lentils is supposed to be that they are quicker and easier to cook from dry in a pinch. Perhaps it was the combo of the lentils and quinoa for some reason? Did you use any spices you don't typically eat?

Thanks! Spices are all normal for me. I think it’s just that with the lentils and quinoa my fibre shot up way too high. It’s also been a while since I’ve had lentils (I’ve usually had black or kidney beans and wanted a change). I saw my fibre for that day was like 20g over goal, when I’m usually in the 5g under/over range.

I’ll be honest I’m pretty scared to eat it again haha. But I don’t want to throw it out because I think it’s still edible. I think re-boiling with added liquid and halving the portion might do it. I’ll have to have it with something else for protein which is a bit complicated. I am not a great cook, and my goal is just to have something I can freeze, microwave at work or school, and not worry about. So this definitely won’t be that unfortunately.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

I don't soak red lentils. If I'm cooking green lentils with white rice, I might soak them for a bit as this will reduce their cooking time, and make it match the cook time of my rice.

But presoaking and discarding the water might help with digestibility in the future.

Is your fiber supplement new and are you drinking extra water? It might be the combo of the fiber supplement + lentils, rather than just the lentils.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Sorry, I forgot you were using lentils. I don't soak split lentils or even whole puy lentils.
  • kiela64
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I don't soak red lentils. If I'm cooking green lentils with white rice, I might soak them for a bit as this will reduce their cooking time, and make it match the cook time of my rice.

But presoaking and discarding the water might help with digestibility in the future.

Is your fiber supplement new and are you drinking extra water? It might be the combo of the fiber supplement + lentils, rather than just the lentils.

Nope,’I’ve been taking psyllium for over a year now. But yes I’m sure it helps it hit total fibre overload lol. The second time I had this meal I really focused on getting enough water and it didn’t help.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'd try some beano to see if it helps ease the gas. Might try it at home just in case...
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    (Sorry if it has already been mentioned, didn't read all the replies) Can you just dilute the soup with additional broth? This would reduce the concentration of fiber and won't waste it.