To do or not to do?

Options
vholley60197
vholley60197 Posts: 44 Member
edited September 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been working out arms and legs and glutes ! I also have been doing cardio. I’ve been eating better and feeling better too. My question is I have not worked out abs and have read not to since I’m still overweight. Should I wait till my tummy is smaller to workout those muscles since they’re under a layer of fat ? Or should I go ahead and work on them? I know not to believe everything I read but I just want to know what y’all think and know what would probably be best for me. I’m not aiming for abs by any means but would like a flat toned tummy! HELP!

Replies

• RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Core-isolation exercises are largely unimportant if you're doing heavy barbell work. However, getting extremely defined abs/obliques takes a good bit of core isolation work and a ton of work in the kitchen.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    in general, one should doing some ab work about 1-2 × per week for 5-7 minutes would be beneficial.

What kind of ab work would be easier to recommend knowing your current resistant training and health.

• RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    ^what chief said.

Without knowing your routine though, I'd like to point out that suspended ab work (as in hanging from a pull-up bar) is far more bang for your buck than anything you can do on a mat.
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Work them now, as you decrease the fat around your stomach, the more defined they will be.
  • vholley60197
    Options
    @Chieflrg I only workout 4-5 days a week because I have a one year old and work. I do cardio every day at least some form. Usually treadmill for about 20-30min I do arms one day and glutes and legs another. I only use cables and dumbbells for arms and do lunges and cable pull throughs, stairclimber, and leg press for my lower body.
  • vholley60197
    Options
    @youcantflexcardio yeah I have been doing pretty good in the kitchen but am having a harder time losing weight this time around since I have had a baby. I have a pouch but everything else is toning up and becoming more muscular but my belly isn’t matching.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    i love working abs, and can't imagine a reason to wait till you lose weight to work them.

your belly probably isn't going to match the rest of you. it will tighten up with time, but work your abs because you want stronger abs or more exercises in your workout routine - working out your abs isn't going to do anything for loose skin.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    @youcantflexcardio yeah I have been doing pretty good in the kitchen but am having a harder time losing weight this time around since I have had a baby. I have a pouch but everything else is toning up and becoming more muscular but my belly isn’t matching.

If you have loose skin you just have to deal unfortunately. I'm absolutely sure that if I cut to contest bodybuilding bodyfat levels I wouldn't look good due to my last depressive episode so I'm just not going to bother. Lowest I'll probably go is 16%.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    @Chieflrg I only workout 4-5 days a week because I have a one year old and work. I do cardio every day at least some form. Usually treadmill for about 20-30min I do arms one day and glutes and legs another. I only use cables and dumbbells for arms and do lunges and cable pull throughs, stairclimber, and leg press for my lower body.

4 to 5 days a week is plenty. I can only go 2x a week but have lost 50lbs in a year. If you work hard while you are there, you could even cut back to 3x a week imo
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    OP the jury is out on whether one needs specific ab work if one is doing an established proven lifting programme that focuses on compound movements. I’m not clear from yr post what you are doing programme wise.
    If you want to do ab work sure go ahead, it’s not gonna hurt.
    Some experts say ab training is essential. Others like Eric helms think it isn’t for most people who are following a decent lifting programme. Sorry for non definitive answer.

I don’t do any direct ab work. I don’t have visible abs tho that is cos there is currently a layer of fat over them. If I ever manage to lose that there may be a nice 6 pack hidden underneath. One can only hope.....
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Under your current resistance training for general fitness, I would set a timer and perform any of the following 1x per week for 6-7 weeks. Then move up to 2x per week.

Dosage: 7 minutes AMRAP

1. An wheel at what range of motion to can perform with the goal to eventually perform a full ROM.
    2. V sits, I sits, tuck holds, planks

I suggest to Google or YouTube the Valsalva maneuver and practice it and utilize it before every rep.

• ku140
    ku140 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Core integrity is really important for more than a look of defined abs. It's your CORE, and having that strong helps with spine stability as well. I would absolutely recommend to start doing some ab exercises.