Appetite reducers

Options
My doctor told me today that the tablets I'd ordered are very unsafe and you can't trust online, I got them of eBay but they also sell them on Amazon. First thing I checked before buying them was if they was vegetarian/vegan friendly and suitable. Which it said they were but on the package it said it was made with machinery that's used with Nuts, Fish, shell fish and more.. And tested on rats and mice. I was about to take one, but I am so so so lucky I was stopped before I did as apparently just one of them has killed someone they have worked with before or something. If I wasn't around a medical team at the time god knows what would have been the case. It took a while to get my head around it. As I was sure I'd researched it all. And I was certain they would not be allowed to sell dangerous things. But apparently they do get away with it and they can put drugs/poison/chemicals and all sorts in them. They were called "African Mamgo Peak Supps" which were sold to me as APPARENTLY Fat burners and appetite reducers. But apparently I should never trust the internet ever again, and it could be so dangerous just taking one of them. Apparently there's so many more out there too. So Which diet pills are attually trusted and proven safe and work well please?

Replies

• BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Look up Laetrile. That whole story should you very wary about products like the one you used.
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This is an old thread but I was wondering about this. I came across appetite suppressant herbal tablets, carb blocker and fat reducer tablets online. Ive seen brands like this in the pharmacy. Do they work?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    No "diet" pills work. None are safe.

Being in a calorie deficit works. It is safe if you follow the number of calories alloted.
  • cosmoqueen71
    cosmoqueen71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First thing everyone needs to understand is that diet supplements are NOT regulated by the FDA. The FDA only regulates medical drugs for consumption for humans and animals, medical equipment, cosmetics, and food supplies. Anything that is considered to be an herbal supplement or dietary supplement are not regulated and could have any number of ingredients and any amount of those ingredients (that's why it's so easy to overdose on some of those products).

Like so many have already stated, there is no short cut to losing weight. Remember it took you time to put the weight on by eating unhealthy and not exercising, it will take you time to reverse the effects of the additional weight by eating a healthy well balanced diet and getting moderate exercise.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Clairin wrote: »
    This is an old thread but I was wondering about this. I came across appetite suppressant herbal tablets, carb blocker and fat reducer tablets online. Ive seen brands like this in the pharmacy. Do they work?

"Carb blocker?"
  • sam_juggins
    sam_juggins Posts: 45 Member
    Options

OK. I know this is an old thread. But OP has epiphany not to trust the internet ever again, and then comes to the Internet to ask for advice on safe and effective diet pills. ...

Exactly this.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    The only thing I've ever read about that showed results in studies and has a genuine biological basis for working is Orlistat (Xenical).

It works by inhibiting pancreatic and stomach lipases (the enzymes that break down fats), so ingested fats (and the resulting calories) can't be broken down and absorbed.

But this is 100% a case where the cure is worse than the problem. Because while the fats are passing right through your body and not being absorbed and you're not getting those calories but you're also not getting the fats your body needs to function properly.

Not to mention all that unabsorbed fat passing directly through your system causes severe stomach discomfort and (here's the real clincher) what the study described as "fecal urgency" which basically means your backside could explode, violently and uncontrollably, at any time with no warning. Yeah? No thanks

"I'd rather deal with the fire brigade than the fire."
    -Winston Churchill
  • Clairin
    Options

"Carb blocker?"

Hi, yes I was on a bodybuilding / fitness website pricing protein powder and came accross these products. One of them was called 'carb blocker'
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    What worked better for me than any drug or supplement - although I never really tried any except a few of the products sold in stores back when I was a teen and the internet was just a twinkle in someone's eye - was something I didn't know until reading these forums. (Another aside, this is kinda crazy because I have actually taken a lot of biology, anatomy, and nutrition courses.)

Adjusting macros until you find what combo provides the most satiety for you. Now that I focus more on protein and fats to a lesser degree, being at a calorie deficit and losing weight is so much less unpleasant. It's not fun, of course, but it isn't torture.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

"Carb blocker?"

Hi, yes I was on a bodybuilding / fitness website pricing protein powder and came accross these products. One of them was called 'carb blocker'

Why would you want a carb blocker though?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    But apparently I should never trust the internet ever again, and it could be so dangerous just taking one of them. Apparently there's so many more out there too. So Which diet pills are attually trusted and proven safe and work well please?

OK. I know this is an old thread. But OP has epiphany not to trust the internet ever again, and then comes to the Internet to ask for advice on safe and effective diet pills. ...

I appreciate the irony, but there is a difference in marketing claims on the internet vs getting advice from forums where we are prohibited from shilling for supplement manufacturers.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    The only thing I've ever read about that showed results in studies and has a genuine biological basis for working is Orlistat (Xenical).

It works by inhibiting pancreatic and stomach lipases (the enzymes that break down fats), so ingested fats (and the resulting calories) can't be broken down and absorbed.

But this is 100% a case where the cure is worse than the problem. Because while the fats are passing right through your body and not being absorbed and you're not getting those calories but you're also not getting the fats your body needs to function properly.

Not to mention all that unabsorbed fat passing directly through your system causes severe stomach discomfort and (here's the real clincher) what the study described as "fecal urgency" which basically means your backside could explode, violently and uncontrollably, at any time with no warning. Yeah? No thanks

Phen/fen was like a magic weight loss bullet for me, but again a case where the cure is worse than the problem. Fenfluramine was removed from the market and phentermine is associated with damage to the heart as well.
  • Clairin
    Options

"Carb blocker?"

Why would you want a carb blocker though?

Hi, I wasn't shopping for a carb blocker. I was shopping for protein powder and came across these products. I didn't want one to be clear thanks!