activated charcoal capsules

Options
ive been seeing how people use activated charcoal for bloating

does anybody have any success with eliminating bloat?
or is there any natural ‘remedies’ for bloating!

i tend to bloat really bad in my
upper stomach

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Are you gassy? Do you eat a lot vegetables? Do you drink soda? Chew gum? Those things make me gassy.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My natural remedy for bloat is chewing throroughly. Especially raw fruits and vegetables. Your mouth is where digestion starts, and chewing is free.

Activated charcoal also absorbs meds you ingest, so please don't just take it on your own.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Since it's your upper belly, it could be gas caused by fermentation, in which case try avoiding high FODMAP foods.
    Another option is to take Beano, an enzyme supplement that breaks down gas-causing carbs.
    Not sure i would take charcoal.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I take them, for bloat caused by lactose or for too much vegetable or bean consumption, the latter of which unfortunately happens on my diet not infrequently. I find charcoal to be a useful part of the mix along with beano and Lactaid. For me, on its own charcoal "helps" but does not solve the bloat problem. I'd say it provides a 25 % reduction in bloat. Other measures are likely to be required beyond popping a charcoal.

My dr had no problem with the idea when I presented it--said it was inert and harmless--and I haven't had any side effects. That said, it is always wise to talk to your dr before ingesting anything that isn't a food. Especially if it's something you might be habitually using. There are a lot of other potential remedies, from popping a beano before meals to looking into enzyme pills (I had good success with those but prefer the simplicity of beano and Lactaid). I see charcoal as an "add on" not a main treatment for bloat.

Unlike charcoal, enzyme pills are something that can actually solve the whole bloat issue, but they come with many ingredients so you have to do your research. I carried a bottle of them into my annual exam and had my dr go over it. He said everything in the pills was fine. But there are many brands out there, so you want to research it carefully and work with your dr on it.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have occasionally taken charcoal if I have an attack of wind that is actually painful. It helps. For regular bloating I would not bother.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I would be trying to figure out what is causing bloat. What foods are triggering discomfort?

I have a disease that causes severe bloat and pain. I tried charcoal and didn't find it helpful.

Things that have helped: garlic (raw or capsules), ginger (juice or tea-I prefer juice Ginger Soother, sold at Whole Foods for stomach problems), digestive enzymes including glutamine, a good probiotic after consuming ginger or garlic.

These are not cures; they are relieve the symptoms things. But still need to find underlying cause of bloat through medical care or medical elimination diet.

Good luck.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    HollyPFlax wrote: »
    Charcoal is used in the emergency room to absorb poison or toxins that a patient has ingested. You should only ingest it in a hospital setting, administered by a healthcare professional.

Charcoal capsules are also sold OTC for gas and bloating.

They are in my medicine cabinet, along with GasX, Beano, and Latcose enzyme pills.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I just use beans and lentils for bloating... :)