Hello :)

ben_milner
ben_milner Posts: 8 Member
edited September 2019 in Introduce Yourself
Now then,

Nice to be part of the community :)

I’ve always been like a rake, never had any meat on me. Would eat a lot of crap and not put an ounce on. Never set foot inside a gym, I’ve never really had the confidence for it.

Anyways I’ve just hit 30 and I’m beginning to get a bit unhappy with my physique. I’m far from fat, 13st ish on my last weigh (32 inch waist), heart rate is a steady 56 - 58 bpm at rest. But I can tell I’m putting on weight at quite a steady rate around the hips.

I cycle now and then and a play 5-a-side when shin splints don’t get the better of me.

So I think it’s time I took the plunge into gym life, I don’t want to be ripped but I wouldn’t mind being a bit more defined. Confidence is an issue, first few times in the gym I felt a bit of anxiety. I’m not the kind of person who will go and ask how to work a machine or if my form
Is right. I don’t know the first thing about what workout routine would be best.

I’m a compete noob when it comes to sustained fitness so I’m open to advice and pointers :).

Wouldn’t mind making a few friends along the way too. :)

Cheers.

Replies

• Alia_R
    Alia_R Posts: 410 Member
    I’ve sent you a friend request. I too, was the same way before starting the gym life, extremely anxious and self conscious. I was on the heavy side too. But since I’ve started, I can’t get enough of the gym and also managed to lose weight and make some gains 💪🏻
  • ben_milner
    Alia_R wrote: »
    I’ve sent you a friend request. I too, was the same way before starting the gym life, extremely anxious and self conscious. I was on the heavy side too. But since I’ve started, I can’t get enough of the gym and also managed to lose weight and make some gains 💪🏻

Hi Alia. That’s great to hear :). I’m sure I’ll be able to overcome the anxiousness of it. Haven’t plucked up the courage to try out the machines yet. I’ve been cardio heavy so far.
  • MrsAmyMcKinley
    MrsAmyMcKinley Posts: 16 Member
    Dear Ben,
    I too feel uncomfortable and anxious about loosing weight myself. I have a bike machine in my bedroom, unfortunatly it has a lot of useless items on it. which prevents me from going on because I do not feel like cleanning most days. how about we make a plan to each day at least do something of weightlifting even if it is a little bit like10 minutes to start with
    MrsAmyMM

• giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    ben_milner wrote: »
    Now then,

Nice to be part of the community :)

I’ve always been like a rake, never had any meat on me. Would eat a lot of crap and not put an ounce on. Never set foot inside a gym, I’ve never really had the confidence for it.

Anyways I’ve just hit 30 and I’m beginning to get a bit unhappy with my physique. I’m far from fat, 13st ish on my last weigh (32 inch waist), heart rate is a steady 56 - 58 bpm at rest. But I can tell I’m putting on weight at quite a steady rate around the hips.

I cycle now and then and a play 5-a-side when shin splints don’t get the better of me.

So I think it’s time I took the plunge into gym life, I don’t want to be ripped but I wouldn’t mind being a bit more defined. Confidence is an issue, first few times in the gym I felt a bit of anxiety. I’m not the kind of person who will go and ask how to work a machine or if my form
    Is right. I don’t know the first thing about what workout routine would be best.

I’m a compete noob when it comes to sustained fitness so I’m open to advice and pointers :).

Wouldn’t mind making a few friends along the way too. :)

Cheers.

The more often you go, the more comfortable you will become and you won't feel so intimidated anymore. I was the same way before I really got into it, but it's been quite a game changer. Wouldn't be suprised if you changed your opinion on being ripped once you start to see progress.
  • marksweightloss
    marksweightloss Posts: 34 Member
    Hey Ben! Welcome! The gym can definitely be intimidating. I hired a personal trainer to personal trainer to help me get started. It was definitely worth the $$$. They taught me how to use the equipment and set up a plan that was right for me. Good luck to you!
  • ben_milner
    The more often you go, the more comfortable you will become and you won't feel so intimidated anymore. I was the same way before I really got into it, but it's been quite a game changer. Wouldn't be suprised if you changed your opinion on being ripped once you start to see progress.

Haha we’ll see. Not sure I’d suit being ripped. Any tips for machine heavy workouts to get me started? I’ve had a look at building one but I have no idea where to start.
    Hey Ben! Welcome! The gym can definitely be intimidating. I hired a personal trainer to personal trainer to help me get started. It was definitely worth the $$$. They taught me how to use the equipment and set up a plan that was right for me. Good luck to you!

I did look into PTs but money is rather tight at the moment with birthdays and Xmas coming up. I will look again come January. Thank you for the kind wishes :)
  • giancarlov1191

Haha we’ll see. Not sure I’d suit being ripped. Any tips for machine heavy workouts to get me started? I’ve had a look at building one but I have no idea where to start.

I did look into PTs but money is rather tight at the moment with birthdays and Xmas coming up. I will look again come January. Thank you for the kind wishes :)

If you haven't joined a gym yet, look for one that already had machine circuits set up! My gym has them, it really takes a lot of the guess work out and can be a lot less intimidating because you can only really use them one way, no fear of doing it wrong, looking ridiculous etc.

On the flip of that, while machines are great for getting started, don't neglect the free weights/bar as these are crucial for building stability. Machines do all the stabilizing for you.
  • ben_milner
    edited September 2019

If you haven't joined a gym yet, look for one that already had machine circuits set up! My gym has them, it really takes a lot of the guess work out and can be a lot less intimidating because you can only really use them one way, no fear of doing it wrong, looking ridiculous etc.

On the flip of that, while machines are great for getting started, don't neglect the free weights/bar as these are crucial for building stability. Machines do all the stabilizing for you.

I’ve already joined a Pure Gym. It has machines dotted about but not in a way you can do a circuit.

I think the free weights are what’s going to take the most amount of personal courage. The few times I’ve been in it’s always been super busy around that area if the gym.
  • giancarlov1191

I’ve already joined a Pure Gym. It has machines dotted about but not in a way you can do a circuit.

I think the free weights are what’s going to take the most amount of personal courage. The few times I’ve been in it’s always been super busy around that area if the gym.

Yeah man I can understand that because I was the same way! Just try and remember that everyone has to start somewhere, and nobody else is really paying attention so feel free to do your thing. You'll get there!