What motivates you to exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    igutt wrote: »
    What motivates you to exercise and what is your favorite form of exercise?

When I was younger it was how I looked. Now I focus on strength, mobility and flexibility. My favorite exercises are pull-ups, handstands, handstand push-ups, jumprope and yoga...
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My dogs are my motivation. I started my journey walking for exercise, and walked my dog. Got a second dog, and she thought those daily walks were normal. As my journey progressed, the length of my walks became longer, my terrain changed over to the back woods, and I became a hiker. With dogs. Lost the first dog, let me second pick out her next buddy, and again, the new dog thought those hikes were normal. Found a third dog back in the forest, and now, between the 3 of them, I can't miss a day. Some days I'll cut it short at an hour or a little more, but usually, it's 2 or more hours of hiking. (Though I count it on my apps as walking, they just give way too many calories for hiking! lol) So... my dogs are both my inspiration and my motivation. :D
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Speeding up weight loss. I'm running.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Doing active things I think are so much fun I'd do them even if they weren't good for me. #1 is on-water rowing, which I do 4 days a week in season. I don't much love machine rowing, but I do it in Winter so I can jump right back into on-water rowing with full enthusiasm when the weather warms up. On the same principle, I throw in spin class twice a week all year, because it's pretty fun (not as much as rowing), helps me stay in shape for rowing, and now that I'm kinda older with some physical issues (63, with torn meniscus and some mild osteoarthritis), I'm better off not rowing 6 days a week, even though I could. (I'm a believer in one rest day each week, though it can be active rest.)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Getting strong as @quiksilver296
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Being better than I was yesterday.

Gotta go with basic calisthenics & flutter kicks to failure.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    My motivation is to continue to maintain and improve mobility given me by two hip replacements this year and improve my labwork results so much that it causes my doctor to consider changing professions 😉😊 My favored exercise (so far) is walking, PT exercises in pool and pool walking.
  • kymmixxx
    kymmixxx Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Because I've found I actually enjoy it now and feel better on days I've done it. Not needed anti depressants since I started
  • slimdownt
    slimdownt Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    vixnlno9g9m5.jpeg

This is what modivate me. I wanna keep my toes!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I enjoy cycling, either on my road bike or hitting the trails on my hardtail...no motivation needed really, it's an activity that I enjoy. It's good exercise, but I hardly ever think about it in those terms...I'm just out playing and having fun.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    All the lovely young ladies of course. But seriously: I only use the gym's electronic scale which gets calibrated every 6 months - those domestic ones give me different results all the time, up to 3 kg difference. Since I weigh myself there, I might as well do some exercise and jump into their pool as well.
  • CourierSixx
    CourierSixx Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love cycling. That in itself motivates me. I like challenging myself to go harder and faster. Also taking my dog with is a huge motivator as well.
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I want to eat more food. There. I said it.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    igutt wrote: »
    What motivates you to exercise and what is your favorite form of exercise?

#1 motivator is my Fitbit.
    Hiking/walking with my dog is my preferred exercise.
  • darklyndsea
    darklyndsea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My preferred exercise is walking on a paved trail - like a sidewalk through nature! In the long term, I'm motivated to get in good enough shape that I can walk from one end of the trail to the other and back (because I have to get back home). In the short run, I see so many cute animals when I walk. Bunnies every time I walk, deer and some sort of large wading bird a few times, a teenage raccoon once. I also like earning more food, of course, but I live for seeing new animals. Who knows what I'll see next?
  • Avand17
    Avand17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I play hockey, mostly against guys, and I want to be able to hold my own in a game. I also work at a job that requires lifting, so I started weight training and I really liked it.