At what point is gearing up necessary

Options
I have pushed as far as I think I can completely raw...no shoes, no straps, no belt, no sleeves. No extra help but chalk.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to think the gearing up is becoming necessary. I lost a 530 deadlift today right at the top because my grip failed. Almost happened last week with a 515 farmers walk too. I've been starting to think my squats would benefit from knee sleeves and a belt as well.

Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Replies

• pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I thought you meant steroids 🤣
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    OP yr a powelifter right? Knee sleeves and belt are pretty essential. There’s a good fb group linked to the barbell medicine website with lots of knowledgable people and there have been a few posts about sleeves and belts and what’s best to buy.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Aspiring strongman actually, not powerlifter. My bench is garbage and will stay garbage due to too many shoulder injuries on both sides.

All that stuff is allowed in strongman, plus straps are allowed on most carrys and deadlifts.

I've just been pushing it as far as I can raw, I told myself I wouldn't grab that stuff until it was truly necessary to keep progressing...I'm kind of at an internal debate if I'm at that point or not I just wanted some outside opinions.

Current lifts:
    Clean and press log: 205
    Deadlift: 525 successfully pulled, but I had 530 2 inches from lockout when it slipped, I would have had it with straps easy
    Squat 455
    Farmers 257.5 per handle
    Biggest tire flipped: just shy of 800lbs
    Bench 287 (for what it's worth, which isn't much relatively speaking)

All of that has been done without any equipment. Me, the bar, gym clothes, socks for the static lifts, and chalk.

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I thought you meant steroids 🤣

LOL, me too!!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Ok, now, as I'm not a strength athlete and things like grip are not a concern for me, I got straps. Not the wrap around type, but the versa grips because easy to use and I use them on (gasp!) machines also.

I can pull WAY more weight with my straps on than I can "naked". I use the straps on back day for just about everything.

But yeah, like I said, I'm just a bro-ette type, not a strength athlete so I don't care about wearing accessories.

I don't, however, wander around the gym in my lifting belt doing tricep extensions. I keep my lifting belt for heavy squats and deadlifts only.