How do I factor in weight training?

Options
I have been using the app for a week now. I am both trying to lose weight (15-20 lbs to go still) and get stronger. I log all meals, weigh ins, and exercise, but there is no way to figure out how to consider weight training. I do a circuit every day that takes 40-60 minutes. I try to keep my heart rate elevated as well (30 seconds max between sets). Why doesn’t the app calculate that in and how can I adjust on my own? Thanks!

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    In the exercise tab, under the cardio section there should be entries for 'circuit training' and 'weight lifting' that's how the app tracks the calorie burn.

YMMV but many find the estimates to be too high and start with adding 50% of the "earned" calories back. Compare your data to your actual weight changes and adjust accordingly. That's also assuming your logging is precise and accurate for data integrity.

Good luck!

EDIT: omitted the italicized portion, making my post far less helpful.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    You log weight training in the Cardiovascular section of your exercise diary: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/diary/

The Strength Training section of your exercise diary is just for notes and does not add calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The database entry for the style of workout you are doing is Circuit training.

Once you are doing 2-4 min rests between sets of 5-15, then it's Strength Training.

In either case, it's smaller calorie burn than you might see from intense cardio options - but that's the fact.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    >30 seconds max between sets

That's very short rest time. You'll lift better if you can rest at least 1 minute between sets. Three is best.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    That's not strength training - rest periods far too short.
    Log as circuit training (in CV part of the exercise diary).

BTW - if your training goal is primarily to increase strength you need far longer recovery between sets. If you are more focussed on conditioning (or simply enjoyment of that style of training) then carry on.