Training for half marathon after an injury

Options
Hello everyone!
So I started training for my first half marathon this summer, having no background of distance running (sprinted in high school and ran in the Air Force but not much distance since then) and at the end of August got overzealous and felt great so I ran 10 miles for the first time on the treadmill! I ignored my body’s pain and pushed through. Running in minimalist running shoes I just assumed it was the usual pain from my feet getting stronger but I guess I increased too much too fast.
Worst decision ever.
Haven’t run much since then, had to take a whole month off and even now I try to run and can’t go more than a couple miles before my right hip (TFL and Glute Min) seize up and it’s too painful. I’m getting some massage work and plan on budgeting so that I can keep getting massage as I know it’s beneficial. (I’m a massage therapist).

I guess my question is this: The half marathon was one of the races on the annual Tucson marathon December 7th and I was SOOOO looking forward to it. If I can get back to running with my current plan of yoga and cross training and massage, by mid October, is that enough time to work back up to be able to run 13.1 miles??? I’m so very discouraged and really want to run this thing. Thanks for any advice ♥️🙏🏼

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a run/walk style with the only goal being upright and smiling at the finish line?

Coming back from injuries usually requires an even slower progression in terms of distances and pushing yourself too hard to be ready for December is just asking for another injury.

Whatever type of footwear you use should not involve pain.

Take time to get healthy and remember that there's always another race.

• eisterunicorn
    eisterunicorn Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a run/walk style with the only goal being upright and smiling at the finish line?

Coming back from injuries usually requires an even slower progression in terms of distances and pushing yourself too hard to be ready for December is just asking for another injury.

Whatever type of footwear you use should not involve pain.

Take time to get healthy and remember that there's always another race.

Love this advice thank you so much. ♥️

Yeah that’s what I’m scared of. :( My husband suggests I absolutely drop the Tucson half marathon and do one next year instead but I guess I’m hopeful. Sucks man.

Yeah totally. I used to run in minimalist shoes and there definitely is a certain amount of pain as your feet strengthen but I ignored the bad pain that came on and mistook it for the good pain. :(

Again thanks I love the advice. It’s hard to accept but maybe I need to.
  • rcarter91
    rcarter91 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'd reiterate the above advice. If you still decide to go ahead with the marathon a mixture of running and walking would probably be best.

I wonder whether it might be worth getting some new running shoes too - I know some running shops in the UK (where I am) help customers find shoes that specifically suit their feet and running style. Probably don't need to even do that though just some inexpensive dedicated running shoes might help? :)

Take it easy and hope you're on the mend soon - Good luck!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    This is yet another story about injury from using minimalist running shoes. McDougall strikes again! In his defense, he recommended starting slowly and building up gradually, but his premise that modern running shoes are causing injuries appears to be wrong.

Practically every middle-aged runner I know who tried minimal shoes got an injury.

As for running your race: work with a doctor and a PT to heal from the injury first. In the meantime, cross train on elliptical or stationary bike (whichever you tolerate better).

As your pain goes away, pick some good shoes and start walking and walk/run. As you tolerate it, you can move into a training plan for half marathon (I'm using Hal Higdon) and see if you can get through it without too much pain. I'd estimate all this could take 6 months or more.

Don't rush it. Life is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Having been at this whole fitness thing for quite some time and having incurred several injuries through the years, I would recommend dropping the race in December. Coming back from injury typically takes even more time to progress and work up to mileage than if you weren't injured in the first place...even if you feel alright, or even good, your body often isn't 100%.

I've tried on a couple of occasions to come back from injury too soon because I felt pretty good and ultimately nothing pretty came of it and I ended up having to spend even more time healing and rehabbing. Those were in my earlier days when I was super over zealous and wanted everything right now...I've since learned that there will always other races and that this whole fitness thing isn't just about right now, but also about tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, and years from now.
  • eisterunicorn
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will drop the race.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

As disappointing as that is right now, it really is the best choice.

At the risk of being Capt Obvious, here is a stretch you might try if you haven’t already:

https://youtu.be/2qZ517Rw7ME

It helped me about 8 years ago with similar symptoms.

• eisterunicorn
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

As disappointing as that is right now, it really is the best choice.

At the risk of being Capt Obvious, here is a stretch you might try if you haven’t already:

https://youtu.be/2qZ517Rw7ME

It helped me about 8 years ago with similar symptoms.

Yeah it’s definitely disappointing but it makes sense. I’ll just take my time and do better next year.
    Yep sure do, along with lots others. Appreciate it!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of minimal shoes, myself, so I am confused that you think they cause pain. I have not had that experience. I have had injuries in both minimal and traditional running shoes - I don't know a runner who has not had a running injury. If you think minimal shoes cause pain, I think maybe minimal shoes are not right for you.

If you are able to run a few miles, even if not the full 13.1, and the race hasn't got too short of a cut-off time for such a tactic, I'd support the suggestion to do it as a run-walk option. How about slowing down? Does that affect the injury in a positive manner?
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

Definitely look in to the Jeff Galloway method (jeffing) it's a perfectly valid way of running longer distances (I know people who run every distance using run/walk intervals). Personally I run as far as I can without walking and then revert to the run/walk intervals (my garmin is set up for 5min run/1min walk and I run through the walk intervals until I really need a break).

As for pain, theres different levels and you do learn the difference between the deep, painful ache simply from having worked so hard for so long and the sharper pain from an actual injury) and the more you run long distances the longer it will take for the deep ache to kick in. (The last few miles of a marathon are most definitely painful for me, but it's not an injury.)

Whether you have time to train for december, I'd say yes most definitely. Start with a week with 3x3miles and then increase one of those runs by no more than a mile a week. You shouldn't really need to go above 10.5miles in training
    Test out the run/wall intervals during this run and remember the longer run should be at an easy pace, you shouldnt feel out of breath and should feel like you can keep going forever (for me that around 1min/mile below my steady pace and 1.5min/mile below my race pace)

• janineisaacs
    janineisaacs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'd say get proper running shoes. For extra support, shock absorb that sort of thing, cause u clearly need extra support. Running on the road and running on the treadmill two different surfaces and whenever u switch from treadmill to road running it's going to cause u some sort of pain. Start off slowly with your new running shoes on the road and get your body used to the road surface cause ultimately that's where you going to run your race. My advice follow the runners world training plan half marathon for beginners. It will definitely get u ready. Best of luck.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'd say get proper running shoes. For extra support, shock absorb that sort of thing, cause u clearly need extra support. Running on the road and running on the treadmill two different surfaces and whenever u switch from treadmill to road running it's going to cause u some sort of pain. Start off slowly with your new running shoes on the road and get your body used to the road surface cause ultimately that's where you going to run your race. My advice follow the runners world training plan half marathon for beginners. It will definitely get u ready. Best of luck.

The bolded is not an exaggeration. I did a half marathon in April 2018. It was my first. I trained for it exclusively on the treadmill. After the race, my feet were in so much pain I could barely shuffle around the house for the next two weeks. And I didn’t run for a year after that. (Just started back up in June)

Apparently, “marathon foot” is a real thing, but that was the first time I learned about it. The whole experience really soured me on ever doing another half marathon. And I used regular running shoes.

So, definitely make sure you are getting in some outdoor running or you might regret it. But, good luck with your training and your rave.
  • bigoc38
    bigoc38 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stretch before and after and start with low mileage
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Research can show pros and cons to both styles of running/shoes... I live near Two Rivers Treads (store) and home of Dr. Mark Cucuzzella which are both prominent names in minimalist running. Last year when I started back running after a health scare I was a heel striker and having a horrible time with shin splints. I researched what I could do to help and in turn read many article on both sides of the coin regarding shoes and running styles. I realized my stride was a big part of the issue - I ended up getting fitted at TRT and with their guidance was able to slowly transition (over the course of several months) and completely change my stride - no more shin splints! It’s more than just the shoes on the feet that cause or prevent injuries.

I can understand the disappointment on missing your goal for December. I agree that you should take training slow and see where you are at at that point, your end goal might be just to finish, not necessarily running it in full or going for a new PR. Walk it, enjoy the scenery... take a friend and talk your way through the miles. Everyone has to start somewhere!