Morning or evening

Is it best to workout in morning or evening? Which one works better for you?

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I prefer evenings but whenever I can get it in.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    There isn't one universal best for everyone.

My favourite is late morning to late evening.
    Early morning is my least favourite as my energy levels are lower and my elderly joints are a bit creaky.

But in the end whenever it fits in your schedule so that you can train consistently and that's going to be very varied.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    I like to workout just before lunch, so late morning. In the early morning, i am not focused and don't feel good. At night, the Gym is packed with people and I can't get any intensity going because of the wait times.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Whatever works for you. Personally, I prefer early mornings before work.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Whichever one you can consistently do. I'm a morning gal. :)
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    It doesn't matter what time of day you exercise. ☺
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I prefer evenings because I like sleeping in the morning. I’m also usually really stiff in the morning and have better workouts in the evening (after I’ve been moving around all day to loosen up).

But that doesn’t mean it’s what you should do. Do what works for you.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    There is no "best". Whatever suits your schedule and your preferences. I prefer mid day.
  • DarkTwain
    DarkTwain Posts: 130 Member
    I prefer to get up and go in the morning but during the workweek I do evenings
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I workout first thing in the morning.

TBH, it is NOT my preference, but I am FAR more consistent with mornings than evenings. Technically I'm more of a night owl, but after all day at work, getting up the ambition to go work out is hard for me to come by (more mental exhaustion). So, I get up, get my workout, then go off to work and can relax in the evening mostly guilt free (I do have some after work activities I can do if I'm up to it).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I prefer morning before I get distracted or make excuses. It puts me in a good mood for the rest of the day!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I've recently started doing 20-30 min of strength training in my basement immediately after breakfast. Sometimes I get dressed properly, sometimes I do it in my pyjamas. I seem to be able to face strength training when the idea of doing cardio that early seems impossible (too headachy maybe?). Like @lorrpb it puts me in a good mood and ensures that no matter what happens the rest of the day at least I go my "bare minimum" in. I'm retired, so I often get to do cardio when I feel my best, somewhere between 10am and 4pm. When I was working there was a period of time where I went to aerobics classes on my lunch hour, but I was lucky enough to be able to take an extended lunch, long enough to shower afterwards.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    I prefer after work, mid to late afternoon to work out, but on weekends I do earlier. It doesn't matter what time of day, as longas you're consistent.
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    I prefer late evenings! When my kids were young, I would put them to bed and head out for a run. 9 pm in the dead of winter - sometimes I ran until midnight. Those days I couldn't have willed myself to get up early for a run, but had (and still have) all my energy at night :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Is it best to workout in morning or evening? Which one works better for you?

There is no "best". The best time to workout is when you can and when you will do it. There's no inherent advantage of exercising at some particular time of day.

In the summer I do most of my cycling in the AM because the alternative is to do it later in the day when it's 100*+ outside.

Right now it's a bit too dark to ride in the AM and still get ready and to work on time, so I'm transitioning to my fall/winter routine...more time in the weight room 3x per week in the evening after work and cycling when I can. Right now I can still get home from the gym at 6PM and still get in a 30-45 minute ride in before it gets too dark...but that won't last long. Most of my riding in the winter is on weekends mid day
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Agree with everyone above that stated 'whatever works for you...there is no best time'.
    The main thing to consider is simply, when can you consistently make the time to work out? I prefer working out in the early afternoon, but due to work I need to find time in the evenings. I can almost never work out in the morning as I love lounging around the house in the morning and kind of need to slowly wake up. Ive tried the morning workouts....its just not me.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Day off, afternoon. Work days, morning before work - My gym is 24/7 but I don't really enjoy being there when it's dark out.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Cardio in the morning works best for me and weights in the evening. But as just about every one else has said, whatever works for you.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    I enjoy the benefit of flexibility as a retired person but I like the late morning early afternoon range. It frees up nights for watching ballgames etc.