5X5 superheavy or 3x15 heavy for bulking

Options
Too many articles out there. What is your advice for bulking and building mass. Super heavy 5x5 sets or 3x15 or 4x12?

All responses are very appreciated

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    A combination of both. I believe in one or more of your other posts, PHAT and PHUL were both recommended. They are both effective for bulking and building mass and the strength that will help to do that.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    It depends on a few things.
    Do you already have a solid base of strength to work from?
    If so, the 8-15 rep range may be best, but that doesn't mean you should ignore the lower weight heavy reps, can do the compound lifts in a 5x5 or 4x8 and additional smaller movements in the 10-15 rep range. The important thing is progressive overload and caloric surplus.
    If you are able to do 3x15, that would not be considered heavy, that would be light weight, high reps.

Maybe find a program that meets your goals and follow it, don't try to design your own routine.

here is a non-comprehensive list of programs: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    What is your current status and training experience?

In general get as strong as possible in the squat, press, bench, and deadlift (generally lower reps higher intensity) and eat at a surplus with appropriate protein...
  • DM88ENT
    DM88ENT Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    A combination of both. I believe in one or more of your other posts, PHAT and PHUL were both recommended. They are both effective for bulking and building mass and the strength that will help to do that.

Thanks, I'll have to look back at my posts. I may have missed that phat/Phull. Thanks again for always providing responses.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Generally speaking for pure hypertrophy, I would utilize more towards the 12-20 reps. Though hypertrophy can be had many of ways depending on the template and how you respond. So lower rep schemes can do the job as well.

Keep in mind hypertrophy doesn't always equate strength though it has some relation to it.

A good template will have a combination of several rep/intensity schemes that stride towards both hypertrophy and strength since they both govern each other at some point.

*Editted to add that "heavy" or "superheavy" are undefined. Using RPE or a percentage of 1RM or e1rm has value to base decisions on.
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Mike Israetel has a very recent YouTube video on rep ranges. I recommend watching it.