moving out for the first time, excited for my own kitchen

Options
katermari
katermari Posts: 137 Member
edited September 2019 in Food and Nutrition
moving out this weekend for the first time, anxious and excited.
excited to be able to meal prep and cook for my spouse and myself.
no more take out! time to drop this 10-20 pounds.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    The transition can be bumpy! Ex: you realize you need to get trash bags...and then realize you don't even have a trash can :lol:

Thrift stores can be very helpful in times like these. Don't forget your coupons if you go to Bed Bath and Beyond!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm, a new place! I'm green with envy! I love moving. 😂

Buying the necessaries is boring, though.

I agree with @kshama2001 . The only thing I would splurge on for your kitchen is new cookware.

Have fun! 🎈🏠🎈
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    thanos5 wrote: »
    don't forget to get a plunger. sucks to find out you need one the hard way -_-

Only visitors have clogged my toilets. I don't know what I do right.

But also, a toilet scrubber. A broom. Dish soap and dish towels. A can opener.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Even 40 years later I can still remember the learning curve and food adventures in those early months of setting up home!

I wasn’t a novice cook but had generally cooked in a way that was similar to my Mum, and certainly using much the same ingredients. There were a few memorable mistakes that taught me a lot!

There was the time when my recipe said ‘Tamari’ but I read it as ‘Tabasco’ (this was in the day when both were unknown ingredients to me, and most people) So I measured out 2tbsps of Tabasco into a Sweet & Sour Kidney Bean dish. My sister and boyfriend were very polite but that was SPICY!

Then there was the time I first used garlic (my Mum had never used it) and didn’t know the difference between a clove and a bulb! Garlic Bread with 3 bulbs! Again, my boyfriend and my sister ate it, and stank of garlic for the best part of a week! I had more sense because I realised what I’d done! 😂
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    thanos5 wrote: »
    don't forget to get a plunger. sucks to find out you need one the hard way -_-

...and toilet paper 😉
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    @thanos5 I so agree about the plunger! Nothing worse than getting caught with your pants down so to speak!😫