This is not a diet

Weight watchers. Slimming World. LighterLife. Cabbage Soup. Blood Type. Fasting. Atkins. Lo Carb. No carb. Vegan. Acid-Alkaline. Ultra Low Fat. Dukan. South Beach. 5:2. Mediterranean. SlimFast. GI. Raw Food.

I have a hundred diet books and have been on every diet I can think of.

And I'm overweight.

No, I'm obese.

But I'm losing weight. And for the first time in my life, I'm not on a diet (or spectacularly falling off one). This is a lifestyle change, not a short-term goal.

Most of my friends are slim. I always thought how unfair it was that we had the same lifestyles and yet I was the one who put on weight after the age of 30. But if you look closely at the way they eat and the way I do, the differences are clear.

They moderate their intake. One biscuit, not four. Do some exercise. Have a salad for lunch if you're going to go out for dinner. Don't clear the canapé plate. It's not brain surgery, but it's taken me a long time to start to adopt their habits.

My mistake has always been to kid myself. You're not as heavy as … you look quite good in … it doesn't matter. But my weight does matter – to me. It affects me every day and although I'm a pretty happy and content person, my life can only be better if I don't have the extra weight.

So I signed up for MFP, got myself some wifi scales, which sync to the app so I can't lie any more, and in my first month I've lost 1st5lb. And I've still gone out with friends, still had the food and drink I enjoy and still lived life – just with moderation and assiduously logging my intake, even when I've eaten something I 'shouldn't' have.

And I'm really, really looking forward to wearing all those lovely clothes I've bought myself in previously slim incarnations!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Wishing you all the very best - it sounds like you now have the right mindset. Go for it :smile:
  • Eskisnow
    Eskisnow Posts: 4 Member
    Absolutely to all of the above - and thanks for your responses. The mindset change has been about taking AWAY the restrictions. I allow myself anything I want - just not all of it all at the same time.

The financial simile is exactly right. Mr Micawber's "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery." Just substitute calories for money.
  • Foodiemom67
    Foodiemom67 Posts: 22 Member
    That is what happened to me too. I had a lifestyle change and that has help me lose the weight finally. Good luck in your journey!
  • bcallieoop
    bcallieoop Posts: 10 Member
    Congrats and good for you!! I have also done the endless diet route, gain and lose thing. Last fall I opted to change my lifestyle instead, experienced success and have not looked back. You've picked the best plan, so go for it. Don't let small setbacks trip you up, keep your eyes on the end goal and live your life to the fullest.
  • Very nice!
  • memurph88 wrote: »
    I don't even know you, and yet I'm so proud of you.
    It took me a while to realize as well, that it wasn't a 'diet' I needed, it was a lifestyle change :heart:

EXACTLY!!! I was thinking the same thing!!

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I'll bet you don't have the diet book called "The Martini Diet": you start with your first double Martini (one olive only!) around mid - morning and from 5 p.m. you get really sozzled, 2 olives allowed per glass. Guaranteed, 100 % weight loss after about 6 months - liver cirrhosis. No joke, I had that book - but didn't try that diet. Nowadays I stick with MFP and I am grateful for the good advise I get from all those supportive members.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Echoing the posts above about the great mindset and progress so far.

Adding one little bit of caution. With a caveat about context (I don't know how overweight/obese you are).

1st5lb in 1 month is a lot. Be careful not to rush this too much. In no way do I want to sound negative about what you're doing, so.....congratulations again on your progress and even moreso on your mindset.

There can be negative consequences to doing this too quickly. Just be aware.
  • Eskisnow
    Eskisnow Posts: 4 Member
    I agree - having done LighterLife twice, I know quick loss doesn’t work for me.

I lost 8lb in the first 10 days, which was largely water. Since then I’ve slowed down a lot and am now losing about a pound a week. I want to lose another 4 stones and don’t mind if it takes me 2 years to do so, given that this is a sustainable, maintainable way of living, not of dieting.

And thanks to everyone for your replies to my first post!
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Eskisnow wrote: »
    I agree - having done LighterLife twice, I know quick loss doesn’t work for me.

I lost 8lb in the first 10 days, which was largely water. Since then I’ve slowed down a lot and am now losing about a pound a week. I want to lose another 4 stones and don’t mind if it takes me 2 years to do so, given that this is a sustainable, maintainable way of living, not of dieting.

And thanks to everyone for your replies to my first post!

Perfect. Believe it or not, you are way ahead of where many posters are. Cliche, but knowledge is power, especially in this arena.