Rational Fears

Options
KosmosKitten
KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
Okay, so there's a phobia thread for people with irrational fears of random stuff, but what rational fears do MFP users have?

Mine is the fear of being assaulted (again) and the fear of being stalked (again). I assume these are rational fears because they are things that have already happened to me once.

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Cars. Statistically I’m more likely than anything to be injured or killed in an auto accident but they are kind of a necessary evil. Two years ago a distracted driver ran a red light and hit me, totaling my car and injuring me, luckily I’m all recovered though. A few years before that a driver rear ended me at a stoplight and that took years to fully recover from. Cars can do a lot of damage! :s
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Diseases in general, but especially cancer, and being permanently disabled, particularly related to vision and/or mobility.

I am far less afraid of actual death.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Drowning.
    This may seem more on the irrational side, but with the amount of kayaking and rafting I do, it’s a very real fear and has almost happened several times. It’s the most terrifying thing I’ve ever experienced.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Being responsible for injury to someone...car accidents. I hate having passengers for this reason.
    Diseases in general, but especially cancer, and being permanently disabled, particularly related to vision and/or mobility.

I am far less afraid of actual death.

I saw my grandmother after her stroke, and while I've always thought being paralyzed is of my greatest fears, being immobile and unable to communicate well but still mentally cognizant now tops paralysis.

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Serial killers

Large crocodiles

White sharks and tiger sharks if I were to encounter one

Angry mama bears

Semi trucks hitting my car
  • mtndewme
    mtndewme Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Being taken out by ninja.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    mtndewme wrote: »
    Being taken out by ninja.

This is irrational. 😋
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Being responsible for injury to someone...car accidents. I hate having passengers for this reason.

This as well. I had an accident a couple of years ago that sent the two people I hit to the hospital with minor injuries and I felt terrible (still do). I wasn't doing anything illegal, wasn't drunk or stoned, roads weren't slippery, I just lost control of my car in a turn and hit them.

I feel terrible to this day and constantly have this fear that it will happen again anytime I drive (and most of us have to drive daily). Yeesh. :fearful:

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Add me to the car list - my anxiety can get pretty bad if I let it. I was supposed to go on a road trip with my mom a few years ago (myself and two of my children when they were little) to visit her family and ended up crying In the middle of our living room rug when I should have been packing my bag to leave the next morning. I didn’t go that trip.

My mom had to make me get my license all those years ago. I have only been in a minor fender bender (rear ended at a stop light), and a doozy with a deer, but have witnessed some horrendous accidents and narrowly missed multiple others. My oldest child is 12 so people are starting to comment on how few years until he starts driving, I instantly get queasy.

I also have a fear of assault/attack and constantly play through scenarios in my head to decide what I would do if x y or z happened. Public shootings, sexual assault, etc.

I am getting over germaphobe issues. It wasn’t horrendous, only mildly life/routine altering (indoor play places for my children were hard. About the time I finally relaxed my daughter sat in a puddle of some kids throw up... that was 7 years ago and they have had few experiences since). I HATE sick season, and it’s starting. Having 4 children all down with a stomach bug at the same time (most of them not old enough to take care of things themselves) has traumatized me. And RSV x3 - nearly non stop breathing treatments. Flu - twice! - with my child that was already on oxygen for low oxygen/breathing issues. I want to crawl in a hole and hibernate!
  • MoxyLeigh
    MoxyLeigh Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've an ex who turned out to be a crazy, so that. Also been stalked by him and by another guy. And both the ex and the other broke into my home, though only the ex while I was in it.

So yeah pretty much attracting any more crazy people is my rational fear.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    The Earth getting sucked in to a Super Massive Black Hole.

black-hole-earthcover_syqs.910.jpg

.... and Safeway running out of chunky peanut butter.

both could happen.

although, admittedly... not at the same time.
  • Glazed_and_Confused
    Glazed_and_Confused Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Cars. Statistically I’m more likely than anything to be injured or killed in an auto accident but they are kind of a necessary evil. Two years ago a distracted driver ran a red light and hit me, totaling my car and injuring me, luckily I’m all recovered though. A few years before that a driver rear ended me at a stoplight and that took years to fully recover from. Cars can do a lot of damage! :s

I feel this so much. My cousin passed in a terrible car accident in 2003 and I still have anxiety about getting into a horrible accident all this time later. I hate being a passenger and everytime I drive myself there's some moment where the thought of crashing comes up. I think it keeps me aware, I haven't been in an accident since 2003 (a month after my cousin passed I was rear ended at a stop light, too)
  • ArmyVeteranM1A1C
    ArmyVeteranM1A1C Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Fire
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I've been in a bush fire, a couple of cyclones, almost drowned by a girl as a kid (in a pool but wasn't on purpose) and last thing was the flood. Still not home almost 8 months later but feel stronger for getting through it all. I think the fire was worst because I was standing at a bus stop with flames raging so high in the eucalyptus trees across the road with a wet towel over me with the school bus not showing up and husband not sure he could drive home on the highway.
  • ColdDawning
    ColdDawning Posts: 36 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Getting alzheimer's or some other form of dementia. Just living and knowing that pieces of you are vanishing sounds terrifying to me. I rather die young as myself than old and lost.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    Fire

All accounts make it sound like a very terrible way to go. **shudder**
    Getting alzheimer's or some other form of dementia. Just living and knowing that pieces of you are vanishing sounds terrifying to me. I rather die young as myself than old and lost.

I feel this one. Multiple family members have succumbed to Alzheimer's and I have had to watch each and every one of them slowly deteriorate into someone unrecognizable and fearful. I'm more afraid of my father ending up with it than myself (I was adopted and have no knowledge regarding my medical history), but honestly? IF I had to choose between dying of Alzheimer's and dying from ANYTHING else, I would choose the anything else. And I mean that sincerely.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Fire

Hey, now, huh-huh
    Hey, hey, hey, no, (Ow, now)
    Hey, now, huh-huh
    Hey, hey, hey, no
    Fire (uh) (uh)
    Fire (It's all about) (Uh, uh)
    Fire (Woo, woo, woo)
    Fire