Sunday is the beginning of a new week

Options
Happy Sunday! So today is the start of a new week. Time to reset and reflect on the week that has past and plan for the week ahead. I try and get the most out of Sunday by doing some meal prep and planning, since let’s face it, life is busy! If you had a not so productive week when it came to your health and fitness, it’s in the past do don’t dwell on it just plan to do better. What are some is your Sunday rituals to have a successful week?

Replies

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    My week starts on a Monday!

I never understand how a week starts on Sunday to some people...yet those same people refer to Saturday and Sunday as ‘the weekEND’ 🤷‍♀️

To answer your question though, I take each day as an individual day, makes no difference to me, in terms of eating or anything else. No ‘resets’ just one day at a time.

I say that my week starts on Sunday because that is the first day of my work week. I call Thurs/Fri/Sat my weekend. Because that is MY weekend. But as most people think of Sat/Sunday as the weekend due to working Mon-Fri I may refer to it as “the” weekend in conversation.

I go day by day but also view calorie intake by the week and that week goes Sun-Sat.

OP, Sunday is meal prep day for me. I meal prep for my workdays then freestyle the weekend.
    By freestyle I don’t mean “cheat days” or whichever term you like, I just mean I think of what I want each day and make it fit instead of having it pre-planned days ahead like my work week.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I guess from one perspective my week starts on a Sunday.

Since my final daily weigh in figure for the week, which then goes to calculate my weekly 'official MFP' weigh in number, is recorded in my spreadsheet on Sunday morning first thing, I guess all the calories I consume/burn from that point on, including those on that Sunday form part of next weeks calculations.

That said, I don't tend to have a "reset", it's more like a rolling 4 day period where the only things that matter are what I did yesterday, what I'll do today and what's coming up tomorrow and the next day. What I did before yesterday is in the past, and what I'll do more than a few days from now is for "Future Dan" to worry about.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    My week starts on a Monday!

I never understand how a week starts on Sunday to some people...yet those same people refer to Saturday and Sunday as ‘the weekEND’ 🤷‍♀️

To answer your question though, I take each day as an individual day, makes no difference to me, in terms of eating or anything else. No ‘resets’ just one day at a time.

Well, if you look at a standard monthly calendar, the column for Sundays is on the left, followed by Mon., Tues., Wed., Thurs., Fri., and the column for Saturdays is on the right, then you have to the next for Sunday, like it's the start of the new week.

It's not how I think about my life, but it doesn't seem odd that people should think about it that way.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    My week starts on Saturday, so how about that ;) The world is big and diverse enough to have different traditions, arrangements, and time/date formats.

cc8arcxwhnbc.png

Back to the question: I don't really plan for the week, I'm terrible at it and I'm terrible at sticking with a plan. I usually do rough pre-logging in the morning for what I imagine my day would look like, and modify my food log as needed throughout the day. Sunday is usually my rest day, so I just relax, spend some time with family, and do things I enjoy.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    My week starts on Saturday, so how about that ;) The world is big and diverse enough to have different traditions, arrangements, and time/date formats.

Back to the question: I don't really plan for the week, I'm terrible at it and I'm terrible at sticking with a plan. I usually do rough pre-logging in the morning for what I imagine my day would look like, and modify my food log as needed throughout the day. Sunday is usually my rest day, so I just relax, spend some time with family, and do things I enjoy.

I was more referring to the dichotomy between weeks starting on Sunday (or Saturday in your case) and the word used for Saturday and Sunday collectively! Weekend! Of course it makes no material difference how people look at their calendars and schedules around the world of different cultures. 🤷‍♀️
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

I was more referring to the dichotomy between weeks starting on Sunday (or Saturday in your case) and the word used for Saturday and Sunday collectively! Weekend! Of course it makes no material difference how people look at their calendars and schedules around the world of different cultures. 🤷‍♀️

Oh, got it. Yes, language and common usage is interesting stuff. Might have to do with Monday being the usual start of a workweek and the historical and religious importance of Sunday which made both usages common.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Sundays. It's taken me a long time to create the Sunday that I want. I grew up hating them and hated them for years and years after. But now, I have certain rituals that I love. I start with an early trail run with one of my sisters. It's in a state park forest, and we're out there rain or shine. Then we get coffee and chat for an hour or so. Head home, shower, start the washing machine. Eat something, then plan my weekly dinners for the family and make the shopping list based on those. Grocery shop (hate it), put everything away, keep laundry going. By 3pm, I am either sitting on the floor of my bedroom watching a favorite show, folding laundry and drinking a beer, or finished with laundry and sitting with my husband and winding down the weekend with a beer. Fix dinner, get ready for Monday, read in bed. I love it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty amusing thread on Sunday vs. Monday as the first day of the week:

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,,-200944,00.html
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    In the end there's no right or wrong day for the week to start. Whatever works is perfectly fine way to use your calendar.

In the end it doesn't matter what day you consider to be the first day of the week as long as you record that date as dd/mm/yy (small/larger/largest) which is correct way as opposed to the silly mm/dd/yy approach =)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    fcx2fnv1hxxo.png
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Love the Dowager! :D

For me, Monday is the start of the new week. Sundays are for chillin'.