What do you think about oats...?

Options

Replies

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I enjoy rolled oats a lot. I make my own little packets on my meal prep day with different ingredients. This week I prepped cinnamon, raisins, brown sugar, grounded flax seeds, walnut pieces and unflavored protein powder. All I need to do is add hot water, a little butter and enjoy. Keeps me full for a long time.

Also I make steel cut oatmeal too in my crockpot. On my meal prep day I cook enough to last a few days. It's a great time saver!

I love baking oatmeal raisin cookies as well. 😋
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    Options
    Oats are a great healthy breakfast! I eat one packet of original Quaker’s oats every day. Made with water. It’s 100 cals and keeps me full till lunch.

Oats are packed with solvable fiber, it’s really good for you. Eat the oats 😀 www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/from-oatmeal-to-sardines-7-foods-that-really-can-help-hearts-stay-healthy/2018/05/04/bb3f07f2-4707-11e8-827e-190efaf1f1ee_story.html%3foutputType=amp
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever have oat groats? Those are prob my fav.

@SuperMotivated56 OP - what about a few simple blueberries to sweeten up a bit?
  • RachellaJ
    RachellaJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I put grated apple in while I cook mine, and add a little applesauce and cinnamon after. It tastes sweet but not too sweet. It’s really yummy.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I didn’t used to care for them but have grown to like them. I make mine with soy milk, cinnamon, brown sugar, honeycrisp apple.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I agree with the cinnamon. I also like cardamon. Both taste sweet to me if added in small amounts to oatmeal or plain yogurt.
    I usually make oatmeal with cinnamon, cocoa powder, and blueberries. If I have any, I add hemp hearts, too, or some unsweetened, unflavored protein powder. A little extra protein keeps me going until lunch.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I thought I had posted in this thread but maybe I had a senior moment.

I have had uncooked rolled oats with milk and fruit and other cereal six days a week for breakfast for 25 years. (I fix myself something special on Sunday).

Wouldn't change a thing. They are a great base for fresh fruit. Bananas, strawberries and blueberries.
  • hholmer
    hholmer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal! I usually add chopped apple and some walnuts, and cinnamon and nutmeg. I sweeten it with a little bit of brown sugar, but I'm trying to gradually reduce the sugar. The apples definitely help to provide some sweetness. I think I'll try raisins. I also tried ground cardamom in it recently, and it tasted great. Now I want to branch out and try some different grains.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat oats: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/228563/stovetop-chocolate-coconut-macaroons/

Don't skip the chilling step - makes a big difference in the flavor. You can speed this up by putting the pot in a larger container of ice water and stirring.

I can't moderate this so reduce the proportions to 3 servings: 1 T butter, etc.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    When I want sweet oatmeal:
    -40gm quick cooking oats mixed with 1 cup water and microwave for 1.5 minutes.
    -mix in 1 tbsp apple jelly while still hot to melt the jelly and add cinnamon to your tastes

I prefer savory oats now:
    -40gm quick cooking oats with 100gm shredded zucchini on top with much less water (maybe 1/2 cup or less) bc so much water in the zucchini, microwave for 1.5 minutes
    -28 grams shredded cheese on top and back in microwave for 30 seconds
    -season with salt and pepper (and some hot sauce if you like it) to your taste and mix it all up. Yum...
  • CalgaryMac
    CalgaryMac Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have eaten oatmeal my entire life. To sweeten add apples with cinnamon. I also use frozen blueberries.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I eat oats all the time. I uses Coach's Oats because I do not like rolled oats and steel cut take to long to prepare...Coach's Oats have a similar texture as steel cut and I can nuke them in 4 minutes.

I don't usually have sweetened oats...I'm more apt to saute some mushrooms and onions to add to my oats. If I do want something sweeter I usually just use blueberries.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I adore oats. I was brought up on a bowl of ReadyBrek every morning (it’s kinda like wallpaper paste in a 1:1 ration with sugar 😂). As I’ve grown up I now have ‘proper’ oats with much less sugar. I don’t find oats all that filling compared to savoury breakfast but they’re quicker than making a full (or half) English in the morning
  • lynney9
    lynney9 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Oats...one of the only grains i can eat with gluten allergy and not suffer....
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I have a cereal of half raw (uncooked) rolled oats for breakfast every day for the past 25 years. They take a little getting used to but make a filling and nutritious breakfast that stays satisfying until lunch time.
  • MokaMaker
    MokaMaker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat oats just about every other day at breakfast. I usually have it with just cinnamon, but when fresh fruits are in season, I cook with them in it. For fall, I chop up an apple and cook the oats on the stovetop; first to a boil, then I simmer about 10 minutes, stirring a few times. Then, once off the stove, I will stir cinnamon into it, let it stand about a minute or two to cool, then eat. In the summer, I will first make plain oats (usually in the microwave), then when they're done, I'll stir in a cup of fresh blueberries, let it stand for a minute or two, then enjoy. I use these two fruits primarily because of the healthy factors they offer (antioxidants in blueberries, fiber in apples) as well as the taste. Also, every so often I will stir in hemp seeds (I get a bag at Costco), to add a nutty flavor as well as extra protein. I try to stay away from dates and raisins just because of the sugar content.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I have a cereal of half raw (uncooked) rolled oats for breakfast every day for the past 25 years. They take a little getting used to but make a filling and nutritious breakfast that stays satisfying until lunch time.

I do the same thing, eat them uncooked. I also like unsweetened Familia which has the same texture as uncooked oats.

4.jpg.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal almost every day, no sweetener, with either fruit or PB2 and flax seed. Sometimes I add a pinch of nuts.
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options

My mum always thought I was nuts when I'd skip her fancy muesli and just dump uncooked oats in my yoghurt. Haven't done it for years but damn it was good.