Replies

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I’m a fan of step aerobics too.
    Front squats and hack squats are cool too
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Sitting on the floor and getting up from the floor with dogs, children, and smol animals a thousand times a day.

... Weirdly, they've done studies...
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Farmers carries for sure. Love those

Also landmine squats
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I have an aerobic stepper that I need to start using. I found this site that teaches all the moves that I am going to do before I start any of the "fast" routines.

http://www.turnstep.com/moves.html
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,622 Member
    Options
    I love dumbell pullovers from the Arnie and Franco era.
  • brewster84401
    brewster84401 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Walking lunges. Start with 6 steps, 5 sec break, then repeat for a minute. Do 3 sets. As you get stronger, extend one minute to 90 sec, 2 min, etc up to 4 min. You can also increase the weight over time as well. This is fantastic for endurance athletes looking to extend their efforts at threshold on a bike, run, etc.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics for sure. So many people hear that I love it and comment on how the classes are full of "old people." Yeah, because they're smart. It's a great workout and low/non impact. Where my classes are offered, the evening classes are killer because the average age is lower, the fitness levels are higher and the instructors are told to work to the level of the clientele. I get my high interval work done in these classes and I love it. Upped my distance running and swimming endurance. And what's not to love about floating during recovery time? :wink:
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I love the ab wheel roll outs! But there is hardly ever one at the gym - I must buy one for home. They make you hurt so much! And land mine press and face pulls.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    The title says it all...what form of exercise/lift/whatever do you think doesn't get enough love, and why?

Mine would be farmers walks. They are the KING of functionality in my book. What is more useful for life than picking up weight and walking with it? They hit literally every muscle in the body, and build monster traps and forearms.

Curious to see what comes up here.

I had never heard of a farmers walk (until I just Googled it), but I do know that when I waited tables in college and I spent hours walking around carrying heavy trays, I had some serious guns!

Currently I am in my late 40s and I have to lean towards functional exercises as my answer to this. I am a runner and, while I have strong legs, I totally lack power in my legs and have very poor agility. Short box jumps and taller step ups have been very helpful for me. When I play fetch with my dog in the yard, I step up and down on the fire pit while I wait for her to retrieve the ball. It's a workout for both of us!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Push ups. I LOVE push ups :)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I agree with the farmer's walk. Love that exercise. I'll add face pulls, upright rows and rowing machines
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    This sequence is really great IMO
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_DoicHg2E

Fantastic for warm up for elite athlete or rehab. Don't underestimate spending time on the ground.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    core work. Way too many people ignore their core. Balance ball, stability type progressive workouts get my nod as underated
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    core work. Way too many people ignore their core. Balance ball, stability type progressive workouts get my nod as underated

Guilty of this. I squat, deadlift, farmers walk, flip tires, etc. All really heavy- I have a decently strong core but i haven't actually done isolated work on it in a long long time
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Cleaning windows or washing the car or chopping/stacking firewood - although not exercise as such, they sure work up a sweat.
  • oedipuss
    oedipuss Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Good mornings. Nothing wrong with them if done with good form and not use silly weight. Do them slow and use mind/muscle.
    Close grip bench press.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Walking the dog.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I love the ab wheel roll outs! But there is hardly ever one at the gym - I must buy one for home. They make you hurt so much! And land mine press and face pulls.

Second this. If your gym doesn’t have one they are eight bucks at Walmart, or you can use a barbell to roll out.

Because abs rollouts are an eccentric movement they really work those abs. And if you roll side to side as well as straight, they hit almost all parts of your abs. Like a plank except inside of hanging about being bored at a static hold, you’re working hard at a dynamic movement.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options

Second this. If your gym doesn’t have one they are eight bucks at Walmart, or you can use a barbell to roll out.

Because abs rollouts are an eccentric movement they really work those abs. And if you roll side to side as well as straight, they hit almost all parts of your abs. Like a plank except inside of hanging about being bored at a static hold, you’re working hard at a dynamic movement.

Expanding on this for at home.
    If you have wood, concrete, Lino floors, you can get a good workout with a couple of soft cloths.

Yeah, we got some rather precious wood floors installed that I polish on my hands and knees, and think of ab roll outs every time I do it, feels like I’ve done them too, even though I’m on my knees. B)

Cheers, h.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Various forms of squats. I hate the squat machine at the gym and regular old squats are boring so I do moves like slamming a weighted ball to the ground between my feet and then squat to pick up, rinse and repeat. The heavier the ball, the more you can work your triceps too! Oh and kettlebell swings between the legs as you squat ...

I also use a weighted bar when I do crunches on the sit up bench. I lean back on the bench with bar positioned chest level. As I raise up, I push my arms straight out and then when I am fully up, I paddle on one side and then the other before lowering my body, rinse and then repeat. One year, I planned a kayak trip and I told my trainer at the time about it. For several months, I did this move and others that mimicked it and by the time my trip rolled around, I was "last man standing" in terms of fatigue! I out paddled my teenage boys!