SO frustrating!

Options
I think I’m becoming slightly too obsessed with the number on the scale and it’s demotivating me majorly :/ today on my weigh in I am the same weight as I was last week despite eating in a deficit (weigh and measure everything accurately) and staying active. I did step on the scale mid week and I was one pound lighter but it’s so annoying that it’s now gone up again. I understand it’s probably water weight but then I feel like it takes me quite some time to work the water weight off again, and so this now becomes my weight. This has happened previously too my weight is so stubborn.. anyone else find this ??

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a month / ever few weeks now. I'm down to the last 10 lbs that I want to lose and I expect it to be slow so I don't stress about the scales not moving. As many people will suggest, use a tracking tool and monitor your weight over a longer period - you'll probably see an overall downward trend.
  • sugarcakes38
    sugarcakes38 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Same here. I’m down to the last 10, and I’m used to weighing in every morning. Nowadays its a total up-down up up, a little down trend that tends to confuse and discourage me even though it shouldn’t. Ive also had to cut my rate of loss to a .5 lb so I was expecting a minor uptick, maybe even what may seem like a stall. Still, it’s sort of stings when you’ve grown used to finding evidence on the scale. So.... finding that it’s probably best I continue on with everything I’m doing but without weighing in every morning. I think it’ll help me enjoy this part of the journey and focus on other goals as well. Good luck, don’t give up.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    boldknee wrote: »
    Here is a novel approach I learned from a friend. Just track new lows! Weigh as often as you like, but only enter the new low weights. The other weights don't matter because they are just water, etc fluctuations. Exceptions would be any time you ate above maintenance (vacation, holidays) or a new scale.

This probably doesn't work for maintenance, but it is liberating during weight loss.

This is exactly what I started doing 2 months ago. I only enter new lows, however, since I do belong to a challenge group I do enter an uptick in weight but only if it happens on my Monday weigh-in day. Love doing this, less focus on the daily ups and downs, keeps me out of my head and getting down on myself.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Since the day-to-day weight fluctuations are stressing you out, either use a weight trending app like Mitch ^^ suggested, or stop weighing yourself every day. Also understand that as a women, your weight will fluctuate all over the place depending on where you are in your cycle. It's just water and has *nothing* to do with actual body fat loss or gain.

This^ if you only weigh once a week and you have a normal upward fluctuation, you're out of luck. Weighing daily and trending takes out the short term fluctuations and show you an overall trend. That's what matters. Not the individual data points.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I can understand your frustration! I have enough data by this point (almost 2 years worth) to show that my weight has the following trend:

-Woosh down - woohoo! (I'll use a 3 pound woosh for this example)
    -Steady in that general range (+/->1 pound) okay....
    -Up about 2 pounds - blah :(
    -Slowly creeping back down to the woosh-weight over a couple/few weeks
    -Will maintain around the woosh weight again for 1-3 weeks (some of that may be my own discipline)
    -Woosh again!

Rinse and repeat.

Mind you, I am in the last 15-20 (at most) to lose, and I'm not trying to lose it quickly as I want my fitness and strength to take priority - but I really would like to see it gone, too. The above pattern has been consistently repeated for me, and while it's discouraging sometimes, on the flip side, knowing this helps me realize I really just need to trust the process and things will come down.....
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Weighing often definitely does make you obsessive and frustrated when the scale starts bouncing all over the place.
    You should start taking your measurements too. Maybe monthly or even every other week.
    Try on something that was too tight before and see how it fits now.
    It is nice seeing the scale move down, but it definitely does not tell the whole story. Just keep reminding yourself that.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    If you're logging your weights on a persistent basis, you can go look up your work out directly before and look for a pattern. I like to try to PREDICT what I'll weigh on a given day - it's like gambling with myself.

I KNOW that after I do olympic lifts at the gym, I will have 3 pounds extra for the rest day in between, because my muscles need the extra water to produce glycogen so that I'm ready for my next set of lifts. That extra 3 pounds is usually gone in a day or two.

I KNOW that if "that time of the month" is coming, I'm going to be up 3-5 lbs for a week.

I know that if I'm up 25# over-night that my dog is putting her foot on the scale again, trying to see what I'm doing. :P

Do you think it would help you to understand the WHY of your body's different behaviors? It's not for everyone, but I kind of enjoy it.
  • StaciMarie2020
    StaciMarie2020 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you can’t detach emotionally from the scale then step on it less often. We know water weight fluctuates but it is easy to still let water weight mess w our minds.

Personally I weigh daily but I ignore the numbers until I get a new “low”. And from daily weigh ins I know I will lose big for 2 weeks then hold for 1 and gain for 1 week before the cycle repeats. So I know there is always a dip coming soon assuming I trust the science.
  • phoebe112476
    phoebe112476 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    It helps me to remind myself that my goal is to lose fat - not weight. Over time, with consistently, I am losing fat even though the scale can be up and down based on my intestinal contexts, menstrual cycle, water weight, scale fluctuation, etc.