2 things: my pants wouldn't do up this morning and i hate to cook

Options
something has got to give, my pants wouldn't do up this morning. time to take control, it is so hard when i am so exhausted and have gained back 20 of the 85lb i had lost. i moved into my new house this weekend (first move in my life) with my boyfriend and our puppy so i hope so badly that with the kitchen now MINE and being able to prep for myself things will start to come together,

speaking of which, what helps you motivate to meal prep. I HATE COOKING!! and am probably the worst pescatarian ever, i do not like a lot of veggies, and have a very plane pallet.

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Every one has different levels/ideas of meal prepping. For me, my husband and I cook 2 dinners for the week and eat leftovers the other days. This means less cooking, and makes it easier for me to plan out my calories for the week. Otherwise I eat nearly the same breakfast, lunch, and snacks during the work week and I pre-log all of my food each morning.

What about cooking do you hate? It is the time it takes, do you find it difficult, do you not have ideas that are exciting to you?

What about veggies do you not like? Have you tried them different ways - roasted, steamed, grilled, covered in sauce? What veggies do you like? Many of them can be incorporated into a lot of different dishes.
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Every one has different levels/ideas of meal prepping. For me, my husband and I cook 2 dinners for the week and eat leftovers the other days. This means less cooking, and makes it easier for me to plan out my calories for the week. Otherwise I eat nearly the same breakfast, lunch, and snacks during the work week and I pre-log all of my food each morning.

What about cooking do you hate? It is the time it takes, do you find it difficult, do you not have ideas that are exciting to you?

What about veggies do you not like? Have you tried them different ways - roasted, steamed, grilled, covered in sauce? What veggies do you like? Many of them can be incorporated into a lot of different dishes.

i hate standing there waiting, then packaging, then when re heating it always tastes like crap.
    i only really like green beans, brocolli, asparagus etc. i prefer steaming, i do not like how they taste roasted or grilled. maybe i am doing it all wrong.

then i get bored and find myself thinking about food or what i will binge on later, its a bad habit.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I hear some positives - you like several steamed green vegetables, you prefer plainer food so less fancy, calorie laden, cooking-intensive meals. If you get bored in the kitchen, play music, listen to an audiobook, or play a game or browse MFP forums while you wait for the timer or the boil or whatever. You're not doing anything wrong! eating, cooking, preparing meals, are so individual depending on what you like, what you want to spend your time and money on.
    I would tend to agree that plainer food tastes better cooked fresh, but if you have access to a microwave during the day that's 3 minutes to steam that broccoli. Fish might be more difficult but in my opinion you can warm up precooked shrimp pretty well, or if you've grilled some salmon, that's yum. Try something like precooked brown rice (plain), a pile of fresh steamed veg, and a protein-rich item on top?
    All just ideas, wish you well in your efforts!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    katermari wrote: »
    i only really like green beans, brocolli, asparagus etc. i prefer steaming, i do not like how they taste roasted or grilled. maybe i am doing it all wrong.

Get a carton of vegetable broth and put it in a pot with those veggies. Throw in some cabbage and or spinach. Some carrots. Maybe an onion. Grill some chicken breast.

At dinner time weigh a portion of grilled chicken, cut it up and add it to 2 cups of soup. Season it if you want and pop it in the microwave.

You can do the cooking on the weekend. If you want to you can buy frozen veggies and make the soup with that. Plain eating is a big advantage in this. I’ve eaten gallons of that stuff. Warm and filling.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian and a lazy cook. We only eat out one meal a week. Most of the meals I make take less than 30 min, usually less than 20. I take advantage of healthier packaged food (like the plain brown rice mentioned above).

A few examples:

Fish based:

Tuna salad made with green olives, BBQ sauce and a little shredded cheddar rolled into tortillas and grilled a couple of minutes. Serve with a salad or fruit or veggie of choice.

Salmon burger cooked on George Foreman grill (using parchment paper to make clean up easy) with avocado on rolls. Again, with veggie, salad, or fruit. Might even just be raw baby carrots and celery.

Vegetarian:

Grilled cheese (with or without veggie lunch meat) and avocado or pickles or tomato. Same sides as above or a healthier vegetarian canned soup.

Bowl made with packaged brown rice, tempeh or tofu pan fried with a little soy sauce, and any steamed or fresh veggies you like. Add some bottled peanut sauce on top.

There are no bonus points for being fancy, using a lot of ingredients, or taking a lot of time. I would recommend trying one or two new veggies a month, just to give them a chance. Our tastes change as we age.

For me, just not keeping snack foods in the house works best for making better choices.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    katermari wrote: »
    puffbrat wrote: »

i hate standing there waiting, then packaging, then when re heating it always tastes like crap.

then i get bored and find myself thinking about food or what i will binge on later, its a bad habit.

I agree that most dishes don't taste as good reheated. I will say though that they usually taste better reheated on the stove or in the oven rather than the microwave. That does take more time and dirty dishes, though.

You might benefit from cooking things like stir fry or grain bowls. You can put your pasta or grain in the pot to cook, and prep and cook the other ingredients in the meantime. The great thing about stir fry is that you cook hot and fast, and I think they still taste pretty good later.

I just did a quick Google search and found this site. It's vegetarian, not pescatarian but may give you some inspiration. You could do more searching for "30-minute XXX". Meals that quick should help with the boredom. I also find that I personally am more inclined to try new recipes and flavors when it is quick to make, so maybe that would be true for you as well.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I hate to cook too. I have probably cooked 5 times in the last 10 years. It is certainly possible to eat healthy while minimising work. If you can, throw some frozen vegetables in the microwave. Halfway, mix the mixture up so you don't get cold areas. Fruit is great for us cook haters. I tend to eat canned fish for protein, although I also have nuts as well. I never grab a handful of nuts. I count mine, they are high in energy. Sometimes I have shaved ham or shredded chicken.

Sometimes I will indulge myself with a toasted sandwich. I usually go for pineapple, cheese, tomato, beetroot, corn etc.

Enjoy your spare time where you aren't cooking or doing the dishes.