I'm confused....Are Carbs really bad?

OK so I'm confused...I'm one of these people who reads/researches/watches numerous videos etc but is also a sponge and takes things in to much! I became interested in IF about 12 months ago, I read books (Dr Berg, Dr Fung, Dr Mosley etc), watched videos and learnt a whole lot along the way (or so I thought). Just before Summer I tried low carb high fat which I enjoyed, not just to lose weight but from what I was reading carbs cause all kinds of things to happen i.e. inflammation, insulin spikes, diabetes etc so I did it for both "health" and weight loss.

However, I then read how we need carbs, carbs are not bad, don't see carbs as the enemy, just stick to your calorie goal, we don't need carbs from grains but we need the carbs from veggies and so on and it confuses me.

People seem to have mixed reviews on this...Is it excessive carbs that cause these issues such as diabetes, weight gain, inflammation...

I also watched that film on Netflix...The Magic Pill and people on there were so anti-carb!

Replies

• butterfly_2019
    butterfly_2019 Posts: 44 Member
    Thanks for your replies...No, I have no medical conditions or anything like that.

Its like people really are afraid of carbs, including myself - well not fully afraid but it's getting to the point now where I'm always thinking of low carb high fat foods and its pretty boring! But then I have this little devil on my shoulder telling me that carbs cause all kinds of health issues :-( (because Dr Berg and Dr Jason Fung say so and its depressing)!
  • nickvonogden
    nickvonogden Posts: 1 Member
    'Carbs' in general aren't bad but there are good carbs and bad carbs. Avoid bad carbs as much as possible IMO (though treat yourself, for sure). One should avoid divulging in a diet full of simple carbs; weight loss will be more difficult. Personally, I think one should monitor carb intake along with calorie deficit. The general rule of thumb simply being 'everything in moderation'.

Anecdote: I'm currently doing a Keto diet where I eat very low carbs for a while, and it does work or weight loss. This is my second time on it However, I'm not going to do the hard core (less than 20g of carbs a day). I got myself into 'moderate ketosis' and I'll probably continue this (eating 30-40g of carbs a day), then increase my activity and focus on maintaining, doing whatever it takes to still take in 150g-200g of complex carbs a day but keeping my weight by being more active and burning calories.

Personally, I drink my carbs historically and cutting that out (soda) kind of helps accelerate my weight loss, and i feel much better now. I plan on keeping soda out of my life forever though, because it's too easy to get back into the habit of drinking 5+ a day.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    This is really bad.

The Chicago Classic Deep Dish Pizza
    ci2z4rodhxlh.jpg

The “individual” size packs 2,240 calories (enough for the whole day), plus 48 grams of saturated fat (a 2½-day supply) and 4,400 milligrams of sodium (nearly two days’ worth). You might as well eat three Pizza Hut Pepperoni Lover’s Personal Pan Pizzas.