Emotions hindering weight loss?

Options
I feel like my recent emotional state is blocking my body from losing any more weight. I am still logging my calories almost every day and staying under my goal. I constantly had been loseing about 2 lbs a week, but the last 2 weeks i have been fighting hard just to maintain. I feel completely emotionally drained, work and personal life is getting the better of me. So i wonder if the sheer stress of it is causing my body to resist addational weight loss.

Replies

• noah49822
    noah49822 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    Nope. But, stress and lack of sleep frequently lead to a lower NEAT, and a higher rate of water retention.

So you may be burning a bit less and also masking the fat burn with water. I really wouldn't be worried about it. If anything I'd maybe take a little diet break and focus on relaxing and reducing sources of stress.

I certainly wish i knew how to reduce the stress right now!
  • cynthiabickham
    cynthiabickham Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    noah49822 wrote: »
    Nope. But, stress and lack of sleep frequently lead to a lower NEAT, and a higher rate of water retention.

So you may be burning a bit less and also masking the fat burn with water. I really wouldn't be worried about it. If anything I'd maybe take a little diet break and focus on relaxing and reducing sources of stress.

I like to do yoga and deep breathing when I'm stressed. 10 minutes a day to just be and let your thoughts go where they may. Also make sure you get some sun light and plenty of water. Water flushes the salts from you and the sunlight gives you some vitamin D.
    You can also message friends to vent to, if you don't have anyone you can vent to me. I hope you feel better.
  • StaciMarie2020
    StaciMarie2020 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Stress can lead to water weight gain - but the inconsistent logging can also be a factor.

And keep in mind: the body is an imperfect machine. Two weeks stall is not necessarily reason for concern. Especially in light of said potential water weight.
    I feel like my recent emotional state is blocking my body from losing any more weight. I am still logging my calories almost every day and staying under my goal. I constantly had been loseing about 2 lbs a week, but the last 2 weeks i have been fighting hard just to maintain. I feel completely emotionally drained, work and personal life is getting the better of me. So i wonder if the sheer stress of it is causing my body to resist addational weight loss.

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Definitely not, otherwise I wouldn't have lost any weight in my life (I'm not really being facetious). I would look for ways to relax and also making sure that you're still doing things that bring you joy (or at least have the potential to bring you joy).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I feel like my recent emotional state is blocking my body from losing any more weight. I am still logging my calories almost every day and staying under my goal. I constantly had been losing about 2 lbs a week, but the last 2 weeks i have been fighting hard just to maintain. I feel completely emotionally drained, work and personal life is getting the better of me. So i wonder if the sheer stress of it is causing my body to resist addational weight loss.

How much weight do you have left to lose? Dieting is also stressful, and perhaps your goals are overly aggressive?

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • noah49822
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I feel like my recent emotional state is blocking my body from losing any more weight. I am still logging my calories almost every day and staying under my goal. I constantly had been losing about 2 lbs a week, but the last 2 weeks i have been fighting hard just to maintain. I feel completely emotionally drained, work and personal life is getting the better of me. So i wonder if the sheer stress of it is causing my body to resist addational weight loss.

How much weight do you have left to lose? Dieting is also stressful, and perhaps your goals are overly aggressive?

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

I am only about 10lbs away from my goal. I have lost 33lbs so far. I think being that close is infuriating!
  • noah49822
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Definitely not, otherwise I wouldn't have lost any weight in my life (I'm not really being facetious). I would look for ways to relax and also making sure that you're still doing things that bring you joy (or at least have the potential to bring you joy).

I get plenty of time to relax, but with the work i do the stress never goes away. My employees are always calling with an issue or i know the stress if tomorrow woll still be there.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    yes I think there is something to that cortisol they talk about making us gain weight when stressed.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    The practical advice is to stay the course. Weight and fat loss is not linear. It never will be. Instead of stressing why results have temporarily stopped, take the opportunity to view it as a practice in consistency. The leaner version of you in your mind already understands that lifelong changes are made to sustain a certain physique. You just need to catch up to it.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

I get plenty of time to relax, but with the work i do the stress never goes away. My employees are always calling with an issue or i know the stress if tomorrow woll still be there.
    Try to work on on work/life balance. It is probably also worth consulting with a therapist for a handful of session. There should be plenty who have a lot of experience working with clients who are dealing with large amounts of work stress. Your emotional health is worth taking care of and there are loads of people who are trained to help you with that.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Hi Noah,

You've had some great advice here so I will just highlight the things that I think are the best. First off congratulations on losing 33 pounds! Well done. I lost alot of weight and for me the last 20% took a year to lose. So be patient and I agree that you should change to .5 lbs per week.

The next thing is the diet break. If you haven't had one take a couple weeks at maintenance calories to reset your body. Yes you will likely gain a couple of pounds of water. I did but then I went on to lose the rest of my weight (20 lbs.) after I had been stuck in a 3 MONTH plateau. Why this works is up for debate. Maybe it just removes the little snacks and cheats here and there or maybe it's hormonal, I don't know for sure but I know it worked for me.

Sleep is definately important and the other thing you haven't mentioned is exercise. I walk daily and it tends to reduce my stress level considerably. Music also for me is a stress reducer. Find what works for you.

Finally you may need to reconsider your job. If it is making you that miserable you might have to consider a change but keep in mind that can be really stressful and should only be done if economically possible and if you will get a better outcome eventually. Otherwise you need to find ways to handle the stress.

Good luck my friend. You will get there in the end.
  • cynthiabickham
    cynthiabickham Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options

I like to do yoga and deep breathing when I'm stressed. 10 minutes a day to just be and let your thoughts go where they may. Also make sure you get some sun light and plenty of water. Water flushes the salts from you and the sunlight gives you some vitamin D.
    You can also message friends to vent to, if you don't have anyone you can vent to me. I hope you feel better.
    Our bodies need salt. As in, if you don't have enough of it and other electrolytes, you will die (or rather, your brain will swell and then you'll die). And no, I'm not saying that a little extra water every day will cause the OP (or most anyone) to be at risk for hyponatremia, but I also am confused as to why the need to flush out salts from one's body is being mentioned.

I’m not saying flush all salt from your system. But water weight is mainly a build up of salt. A little extra water actually makes people feel better.