Scared of # of calories ?

2»

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Here's the thing. For your height, you could legitimately eat 1200kcal once you're lean and are trying to achieve muscular aestheticism. But at your current weight (and for anyone else that isn't already lean) you want to eat as much as you can that allows you to lose weight because you can always cut a bit more once you hit a plateau - and I guarantee there is ALWAYS a plateau. Start at the bottom, and there's really nowhere else to go from there except frustration and anger.

Look, I'm a li'l ol' retired lady, 63 years old, 5'5" and mid-130s pounds, in year 4 of maintenance. If I ate only 1200 calories, and could stick to that - which is unlikely ;) - I'd be hospitalized, underweight and with malnutrition, after not all that many months.

If I wanted to achieve muscular aestheticism - using recomposition not even bulk/cut - I'd have to eat something in the low to mid 2000s daily.

I admit, I'm a heckuva good calorie burner for someone my size and age, but I'm very doubtful that a 25 year old woman who's 5'4" and at a healthy weight, still working as a nurse, working 12 hour shifts and going to school, plus (speculatively) "trying to achieve muscular aestheicism" (i.e, muscular and working out) is going to want to be eating 1200 calories except maybe for a short time heading into competition prep, if that ever applies. Yikes.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

Oh, and: I lost about 50 pounds, obese to current weight, and never had a plateau. Though many experience them, they're not inevitable, and cutting calories further is not necessarily always the right strategy if they do happen.

OP, you're lucky to have found a level-headed dietitician. Follow her advice!

You misunderstood my post. I'm advocating not eating 1200 calories and to follow the dietitian advice of eating more, especially with her current stats and lifestyle.

The 1200kcal example was merely to highlight the specificity in which it might be applied, if ever.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Just dropped in to second (or third or fifth or whatever) looks like you’ve found a good dietician. Looks like a good plan.
    Don’t get discouraged if you don’t get it right immediately. Just keep your goals in mind and keep going towards them. You’ll still lose weight while you’re learning.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Here's the thing. For your height, you could legitimately eat 1200kcal once you're lean and are trying to achieve muscular aestheticism. But at your current weight (and for anyone else that isn't already lean) you want to eat as much as you can that allows you to lose weight because you can always cut a bit more once you hit a plateau - and I guarantee there is ALWAYS a plateau. Start at the bottom, and there's really nowhere else to go from there except frustration and anger.

Look, I'm a li'l ol' retired lady, 63 years old, 5'5" and mid-130s pounds, in year 4 of maintenance. If I ate only 1200 calories, and could stick to that - which is unlikely ;) - I'd be hospitalized, underweight and with malnutrition, after not all that many months.

If I wanted to achieve muscular aestheticism - using recomposition not even bulk/cut - I'd have to eat something in the low to mid 2000s daily.

I admit, I'm a heckuva good calorie burner for someone my size and age, but I'm very doubtful that a 25 year old woman who's 5'4" and at a healthy weight, still working as a nurse, working 12 hour shifts and going to school, plus (speculatively) "trying to achieve muscular aestheicism" (i.e, muscular and working out) is going to want to be eating 1200 calories except maybe for a short time heading into competition prep, if that ever applies. Yikes.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

Oh, and: I lost about 50 pounds, obese to current weight, and never had a plateau. Though many experience them, they're not inevitable, and cutting calories further is not necessarily always the right strategy if they do happen.

OP, you're lucky to have found a level-headed dietitician. Follow her advice!

You misunderstood my post. I'm advocating not eating 1200 calories and to follow the dietitian advice of eating more, especially with her current stats and lifestyle.

The 1200kcal example was merely to highlight the specificity in which it might be applied, if ever.

In that case, apologies! :flowerforyou: I did misunderstand. Sometimes, there are just WayTooDarnMany people urging women to eat at punitively low calorie levels, and it's - as I now see that you know - not always a good strategy (sometimes it is, for some women who are smaller, inactive, older, etc. - but not always).

OP, apologies to you, too, for my digression to apologize to the PP. :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    xSanoura wrote: »
    Hi, just a little expression of concern.
    I met with a dietician and she gave me a personal set of macros and daily calorie goals. 1800 on my days off and 2100 on work Days. So basically 600+ calories per meal. However, as I’m tracking I’ve been getting “scared” once I get close or hit 1000. I haven’t been going past 1200. I’m losing weight and don’t feel starved but I know she’ll scold me on our next checkup lol. Has anyone ever had this problem? Im new to calorie counting and just want to be healthy :(

I think you would be better off taking the advice of a dietician who presumably has some kind of information about, perhaps even a medical history, than asking random people on the internet who know absolutely nothing about you.

But if you really want it: If you're sure your logging is reasonable accurate, eat more than you've been eating. At least 600 calories a day more.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    edited October 2019

The first part of this is so wrong, six ways to Sunday. How is she supposed to build muscle on 1200 kcal a day? How is she supposed to even maintain muscle while working out on 1200 kcal a day? I'm her height, and if I wanted to build muscle I'd need something in excess of 2000 kcal (to fuel the workouts and have the building blocks to create new muscle).

ETA: saw your later post saying that you meant this would be the only time and circumstances that it would OK for OP to go to 1200 kcals, but even under the circumstances you posit it wouldn't be a good idea.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited October 2019
    No professional has the right to "scold" an adult - and certainly not a child either. You are unique with your own special needs and requirements, feelings and thoughts. I want to get healthy and your body tells you what it needs. Professionals are here to give advise - they are not here to rule your life and they are also fallible. If the professional doesn't get it, than it's time to change to someone who deeply cares for your health and well - being and wants to genuinely help.
  • windra06
    windra06 Posts: 50 Member
    If she just gave you some numbers she doesn't know what she is doing or she is trying to dumb things down. EVERYONE is different and the only way you will be able to know close your true metabolic rate is either going in a very very expensive machine or by slowly reducing your calories until you start to see weight loss. Height is likely biggest factor to determine lean body mass and it's body organs that contribute most to how much you burn, muscle yes body fat not so much.

Are you tall? Because those numbers seem more like the average male than a women for weight loss, although as I said above everyone is different and all the calculations are based on the mythical average person not you. 1200 is also a guide only.
    You might need 1800, or 1000 to lose weight and likely to be closer to one or the other depending on how tall or short you are.

I'm a short lady and I can tell you now on an average of 1100 I've lost weight consistently but slowly. I once did 800- 1000 a day and the weight loss was on par with my group friends.
    Do what feels right, eat as much as you can whilst still losing weight and don't be afraid of the numbers they are a guide only. If you are losing weight mayb try upping your guide calories by a hundred or two and see what happens.