How to get over the "wait" to lose weight? feeling overwhelmed

Options

Replies

• RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    For me the first few weeks were hard but because I didn't know how to start. But on myfitnesspal site it help me see what everyone did. I saw some do CICO, change eating habits, fasting, or more exercising. Really once you realize what is the best for you it will become easier. Plus the small changes you will see will keep you motivated. I set mini goals that i could accomplish and make this long process pretty enjoyable.
  • BecomingMyBetterSelf
    Options
    denjan333 wrote: »
    The time will pass regardless so you might as well start now and lose the weight. It isn’t going to go any faster if you wait. In 44 days I’ve lost almost 16 lbs. Imagine what you can accomplish in one year!

This honestly helps my mindset. Thank you.
  • BecomingMyBetterSelf
    Options
    I am like you - I wish I could fast forward just to see what I will look and feel like! I am an instant gratification type person (and diagnosed ADD, I think they go hand in hand). Too many times I don’t do something because of the wait involved... if I had planted that fruit tree that takes x years to mature and produce, I would be enjoying the literal fruits of that labor by now! But so many times I don’t because I don’t want to have to wait that long... so what do I do? Nothing. And that is a ridiculous mindset to have! I see my body that way as well. Too often I don’t start something because I don’t give myself enough credit to stick with it. It’s day one of the rest of your life. Next year when you look back you can either see how far you have come, or wonder why you didn’t start sooner and live with that regret.

Take GOOD before pics (as in, good quality, angles that accurately show what is there, not necessarily ones you want to see). Even when I don’t necessarily feel huge changes I can look at my pics and see those subtle shifts...

Oh my god this is perfect. EXACTLY THIS 100%, I could have started sooner(In fact I wanted to but then... i guess I didn't even try because it felt so "Out of reach") Thank you for replying to me. I am new here. I just felt a bit discouraged because it does seem sooooo long for me to lose 100pounds.. and realistically.. probably over a year but if i'm just sitting here not doing anything about it i will be in the same-or worse position.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Little goals. I remember thinking oh nooo more than 100 pounds. Then said ok, how about instead my goals I will break down into 8%. So each time I lost 8% of my weight, I set aside $50.00 to spend how I wanted it. I used to waste much more than that on junk food.
    So that is how I have been working on it.
    And yes it is taking more than a year, I stopped for awhile, but am back.
    If you do not have a food scale, it really is a must, and will be so helpful.
    And log, log, log. Often times we do not really realize/want to accept just how much/calories we are consuming.
    But when we are consistent, we will see exactly how much, and how many calories.

When first starting out, I admit I did not exercise, just moving around was tough. But by 3 months I really started walking miles per day.
    So many different ways to become active, and get moving. It all helps.

Lots of support here on MFP. Lots to read for help too. You can do this.
  • BecomingMyBetterSelf
    Options
    Thank you everyone, these comments helped a bit!
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    100lbs in a year is about 2lbs per week, every week. That is not impossible, but it's not quite realistic either.

Having a timeline is great - it helped me lose 70lbs in my first year. But make sure it is realistic and attainable for you. Hindsight is 20/20, but I can't believe it has been almost 2 years since I started losing weight. The end goal is a great motivator to keep going. It was so hard for me to see the "finish line" (my 12/28/2018 wedding day) when I was 200+lbs barely able to do 30 minutes of cardio. My lowest weight was 145 and a full hour of cardio now feels *almost* fun. I've gained a bit back but still am much healthier than I was before, something I NEVER thought possible during the years of hating my obesity and never doing anything about it.

I always kept this in mind: "You always regret not working out, but you'll never regret working out." That helped me on the days that I really struggled to get myself to the gym after a long day at work.

Good luck, and celebrate the small victories. Every time I dropped to a new '10s range (199, 189, 159, etc) I congratulated myself and made sure I celebrated the little victory.
  • PTA4LYF
    PTA4LYF Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    one day at a time doing the right thing. its a journey not a race i lost 100 in 11 months and despite what people say it wasnt to fast