Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    This is really bad.

The Chicago Classic Deep Dish Pizza
    ci2z4rodhxlh.jpg

The “individual” size packs 2,240 calories (enough for the whole day), plus 48 grams of saturated fat (a 2½-day supply) and 4,400 milligrams of sodium (nearly two days’ worth). You might as well eat three Pizza Hut Pepperoni Lover’s Personal Pan Pizzas.

But probably tastes oh so good.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. Its really insightful. What are simple carbs?

Yeah I think I do suffer from information overload :-( Time to nip it in the bud I think and just concentrate on my calorie deficit only as opposed to worrying about going over 100g of carbs daily!

Simple carbs are the sugars. Complex carbs are the starches. The only difference between them is that it takes a little longer for complex carbs to hit the bloodstream because your body has to break them down into sugars before they can be used or stored as energy. Some complex carbs are fiber and some fiber does not get digested (insoluble fiber) which helps with elimination of waste (or as your granny would call it: "roughage"). Soluble fiber helps control how fast glucose hits the bloodstream and is also necessary.

Like any other macro, the majority of your carbs should come from foods that are nutrient dense (whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc) which is especially important when eating a limited calorie diet. Whether they are simple or complex (or some of both which is common in fruits and veggies) shouldn't matter.

Don't be afraid of carbs. Find your "happy place" where you are eating a macro mix that you enjoy, that fuels your activity, and keeps you satisfied.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I've been doing some research myself on carbs and their effect.

For the vast majority of people, carbs are not bad, they are good and needed (within certain limits). Obviously getting all your carbs from sugar isn't good, but carbs themselves are not evil.

My reasons for researching ARE health related. Low-carb diets have been proven (and used) to help with certain brain dysfunctions - "keto" has been used to help treat epilepsy for a long time. I'm finding some evidence that a lower carb diet can often help with the symptoms of TBI/RHI (my reasons for researching it). I've tried to stick to actual scientific and medical studies rather than the wide variety of bro-science articles out there.

Most of the things you list I don't believe (nor does my research support) are caused by carbs. Some people find it an easy way to restrict calories, but unless you have something very specific going on, limit them, make good carb choices, and enjoy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    OK so I'm confused...I'm one of these people who reads/researches/watches numerous videos etc but is also a sponge and takes things in to much! I became interested in IF about 12 months ago, I read books (Dr Berg, Dr Fung, Dr Mosley etc), watched videos and learnt a whole lot along the way (or so I thought). Just before Summer I tried low carb high fat which I enjoyed, not just to lose weight but from what I was reading carbs cause all kinds of things to happen i.e. inflammation, insulin spikes, diabetes etc so I did it for both "health" and weight loss.

However, I then read how we need carbs, carbs are not bad, don't see carbs as the enemy, just stick to your calorie goal, we don't need carbs from grains but we need the carbs from veggies and so on and it confuses me.

People seem to have mixed reviews on this...Is it excessive carbs that cause these issues such as diabetes, weight gain, inflammation...

I also watched that film on Netflix...The Magic Pill and people on there were so anti-carb!

Mosely is a publicist who writes various diet books for a living. I'm pretty sure there isn't any bandwagon he won't jump on. I read his book on 5:2, lots of misinformation there. He used 5:2 for weight loss....his medical markers before, his medical markers after. Whallah! 5:2 is 100% responsible for any and all improvements.

No - this isn't how it works. Weight loss, exercise, and even diet (ie: Mediterranean) can ALL have positive effects on health. How much of an impact is often genetics.

5:2 isn't even terribly original. He just recycled the decades old "rotation diet."
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I've practiced IF, keto, carnivore, vegetarian, anorexia, and bulimia and was formerly morbidly obese with rampant diabetes. No, carbs aren't bad from any dietary view. What people choose to do their bodies isn't bad. There are consequences and that's it. Being lean is a consequence of being mindful about energy balance. Being obese is the same consequence. IF is a consequence of not eating around the clock and Fung is a consequence of monetizing the concept of fasting.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    OK so I'm confused...I'm one of these people who reads/researches/watches numerous videos etc but is also a sponge and takes things in to much! I became interested in IF about 12 months ago, I read books (Dr Berg, Dr Fung, Dr Mosley etc), watched videos and learnt a whole lot along the way (or so I thought). Just before Summer I tried low carb high fat which I enjoyed, not just to lose weight but from what I was reading carbs cause all kinds of things to happen i.e. inflammation, insulin spikes, diabetes etc so I did it for both "health" and weight loss.

However, I then read how we need carbs, carbs are not bad, don't see carbs as the enemy, just stick to your calorie goal, we don't need carbs from grains but we need the carbs from veggies and so on and it confuses me.

People seem to have mixed reviews on this...Is it excessive carbs that cause these issues such as diabetes, weight gain, inflammation...

I also watched that film on Netflix...The Magic Pill and people on there were so anti-carb!

The number one cause of diabetes is being overly fat...the number one cause of being overly fat is consuming too many calories. Carbohydrates do not cause these things. There are all kinds of highly nutritious carbohydrates...look at the nutritional profile of a potato and sweet potato or beets or whole grains such as oats...lentils and legumes are really nutritious, etc...and obviously fruits and veggies have all kinds of good for you micro nutrition.

Look at blue zones...these are some of the healthiest populations in the world and they eat diets high in carbohydrates. Vegans and vegetarians also eat diets high in carbohydrates given they are plant based diets...so by this logic that carbohydrates are the enemy, vegans and vegetarians should all be falling over sick.

True... look into people who have "cured" themselves of diabetes using high sugar diets. No cure really, you can put it into remission, but there is no cure for type2. They are getting closer for type1 though. Some real interesting work coming out of Canada.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    in a word: NO
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    The only reason I'd say that carbs are bad because they make me hungry and want more carbs. Now, I still eat them. Close to 130g a day. But let's say I start the day with toast and peanut butter. By 10am I'm jonesing for more carbs. But if I have 2 eggs and 2 pieces of bacon I can easily make it through to noon without thinking about my growling stomach.

But, no, carbs aren't bad and they won't make it so you can't lose weight and be healthy. All you have to do is eat food (any food) at a deficient and over time you'll lose weight. What that deficient ends up being is up to you.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    First off OP, it's nice that you want to be informed. Trouble is people are making money off food theories and snappy headlines. The boring truth, as so many above me have mentioned, is that you have to eat fewer calories than you burn. HOWEVER you choose to do that will make you lose weight. If you have a medical condition, you may need to modify what you eat. The very best way to lose is to eat what you like, just less of it. You can also branch out and try new foods. You need to stick with this for a long time so it's easier if you like what you eat.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I do think it's healthier to eat more veggies and fruit than more processed carbs, like bread, cookies, cracker, tortillas, soda, etc. Do I think we should avoid all added sugars and carby treats? No.