Diet/Weight Loss

Options
Can a person have trouble losing weight eating too little that there metabolism slows down & make losing weight very hard.

Replies

• kiddycat73
    kiddycat73 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    No, but eating too little can cause numerous other health complications.
  • gemzdiamond11
    gemzdiamond11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Does certain medications prevent you losing weight.
  • sam_juggins
    sam_juggins Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Does certain medications prevent you losing weight.

Maybe this is a question for your Dr if your on medication? He will be able to advise any side effects and know your history.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    The only thing that prevents you from losing weight is eating more calories than you burn.

Some medications can make you hungry, so it is harder to eat less.

Some medications may need adjusting as you lose weight.

Few medications actually affect your BMR to the extent that you may lose a little slower.

As far as I know, medications, in and of themselves, do not prevent you from losing weight.

(No expert, and don’t take any meds)

Maybe, instead of vague questions, you can give us more information about yourself and the problem you are having so we can help you better.

Cheers, h.
  • gemzdiamond11
    Options
    I’m staying under my calories, in a realistic calorie deficit, weighing the same time.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Are you using a digital scale for all foods? h.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

This and over what time period have you been consistent and not lost any weight?
  • gemzdiamond11
    Options
    At the start I lost weight but mostly water weight and then went back to normal after a couple of days.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

Again. Are you?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Can a person have trouble losing weight eating too little that there metabolism slows down & make losing weight very hard.

sort of. But it takes very long periods of time and pretty extreme conditions for this to happen. The starvation response is a thing, but not in the way most people want to talk about it.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I’m staying under my calories, in a realistic calorie deficit, weighing the same time.

Staying under calories doesn't necessarily mean you're in a calorie deficit. All the numbers we work with are just estimates. Be consistent for a month and evaluate your progress. If results aren't what you want, make a small adjustment and continue to evaluate.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

sort of. But it takes very long periods of time and pretty extreme conditions for this to happen. The starvation response is a thing, but not in the way most people want to talk about it.

It won't happen to someone starting a diet. Anyone that is getting a drop in metabolic rate like that has to already been losing weight.
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    From your diary it looks like you only started logging yesterday? Get a food scale, weigh everything that is not liquid (including packaged foods as the labels can be up to 20% off) and give it 3-4 weeks. Be honest about what you are eating because not logging things will only hurt you in the long run.
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83 sometimes we don't hear what we need to until we are ready. Saying something one more time doesn't hurt. Maybe this person is a troll (which is more their problem than mine) or maybe they really are struggling and looking for excuses. I know I looked for every excuse in the book for years until one day I realized I had to do the work and stop blaming other things.
    I would also like to comment on the "veteran posters" remark. Just because someone does not have a high post count does not mean their advice is not valuable or that they haven't been around for very long. Some people are selective in what they respond to.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @tracybear86 my comment about Veteran posters was in no way to do with post counts, but valuable advice from people who have been maintaining a long time (and whom I have had some very helpful advice from over the years), some of them don't have thousands of post counts and it was in no way meant to take away from anyone who is new to posting or doesn't post as often giving out good advice, so please don't take it as a criticism.

Only reason I responded to you was because of your comment about them only logging since yesterday, when I know they have been on MFP for years under different accounts, so rather than them having only logged since yesterday, it's only the new account name that is new to logging.