Avocado on toast

Options
On my days off I LOVE a breakfast of avocado on toast with feta at tomatoes.

Today I decided to log it and it’s 600 calories?!

I never have sausages or bacon or anything stereotypically ‘fatty’

Is this breakfast really that bad?!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    You logged 225g of avocado. That is a lot of avocado. Was that just the portion you ate, or did you weigh the whole thing including the skin and the pit?

If it was all edible avocado, and all that avocado fills you up and at the end of the day you hit your calorie goal and got enough protein too, it's fine. It's up to you whether using all those calories on avocado toast is good or bad. For me personally it wouldn't fill me up enough to be worth the calories and I'd probably struggle to stay under goal for the rest of the day, but everybody's different.

Ya, I love avocado, but have never had 225 g as one serving. Also wondering if you logged the skin and pit.

I don't eat a whole avocado at one time. Yes, the remainder browns, but you can minimize this in various ways, and it's just the very top part that browns, and can be scraped off.
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    It's not bad, it's calorie-dense and high in fat but at least for me I feel more satisfied on days I eat avocado or other high fat foods like nuts and eggs! (i.e. same number of calories but I feel less hungry with higher fat, lower carb days.) So I think they're great for weight loss if they help you stay in your deficit!! Also so yummy! I weigh it without the pit and skin, the large hass avocado I ate this morning was 122 grams.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You logged 225g of avocado. That is a lot of avocado. Was that just the portion you ate, or did you weigh the whole thing including the skin and the pit?

If it was all edible avocado, and all that avocado fills you up and at the end of the day you hit your calorie goal and got enough protein too, it's fine. It's up to you whether using all those calories on avocado toast is good or bad. For me personally it wouldn't fill me up enough to be worth the calories and I'd probably struggle to stay under goal for the rest of the day, but everybody's different.

Ya, I love avocado, but have never had 225 g as one serving. Also wondering if you logged the skin and pit.

I don't eat a whole avocado at one time. Yes, the remainder browns, but you can minimize this in various ways, and it's just the very top part that browns, and can be scraped off.

Well there are the Florida or Carribean avocados and then there are Haas. Also there is a lot of other types of avocados. But most of us only see the Haas.

maxresdefault.jpg

Dang I wish I lived in a place I could get those big of avocados, I hate spending $2 for a tiny Haas 😋😞
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    sarko15 wrote: »

Well there are the Florida or Carribean avocados and then there are Haas. Also there is a lot of other types of avocados. But most of us only see the Haas.

maxresdefault.jpg

Dang I wish I lived in a place I could get those big of avocados, I hate spending $2 for a tiny Haas 😋😞

I get 4 large Hass for $3.00 at my local store. they are cheap right now.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Avacodos are 1.6 cals a gram vs butter at 9 cals.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Weigh the avocado on food scale WITHOUT the skin and pit. I eat a whole one and it is usually less than 100 grams for the entire avocado, which equals around 140-160 calories. On whole grain toast, total calories is around 300.

Oh the poor, tiny, Haas avocado. Where I live our avocados can be 3 to 4 times the size of them.

Hass are perfect for single serving. I don't need a 3 lb avocado.

We have the Florida Avacodo here . Though to me, the Hass has more flavor.
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm eating avocado every day right now (because it's in season and we get them for free! from the family garden :smiley: ) As long as I stay within my calorie count, it works for me. I mostly put it in my salads.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Yup. We get avocados here (Panama) that are larger than your hand.

ryplz9qcciie.jpg

I'm always at a loss at how to log them though. The Florida Avocados are known as the "slimcado" because they have about 25% less calories than the Hass version. I am never sure which category my avocados fall under.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Yup. We get avocados here (Panama) that are larger than your hand.

ryplz9qcciie.jpg

I'm always at a loss at how to log them though. The Florida Avocados are known as the "slimcado" because they have about 25% less calories than the Hass version. I am never sure which category my avocados fall under.

:o:o
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm not saying avocados that weigh 225 g don't exist; I'm saying 225 g would be an excessive serving size for toast for me.