Advice on Mayo: substitute or not?

Options
GillyWI
GillyWI Posts: 27
On my diet, I have only been bringing veggies with me to work (I work "on the go" and have a short break where I can grab a bite). I really want to start doing something different, along with some veggies, so I am looking at a few different recipes for pita pockets, I think I'd like to try making those. So I have a couple ideas that should be healthy. For some type of "base" one calls for low fat mayo. I have no real problem with Miracle Whip Lite for example, I know some people hate it, I am fine with it. One of the recipes calls for plain lowfat yogurt and Light Italian dressing. Other things i have read that sound intriguing are using low fat cottage cheese or low fat sour cream. One idea of my own was to try combining plain yogurt with some sour cream.
My main goals are to lose weight and lower cholesterol.
So in a situation where you are making a chicken or tuna salad for in a pita, any good advice on which works the best?

Replies

• calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I would use yoghurt, but I don't care for the taste of mayonnaise anyhow.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I find that "Light Mayonnaise" is a good compromise between flavor and fat. It has 35 cal / 3.5g of fat per tablespoon and tastes pretty much just like mayonnaise.

Not to be confused with "Low Fat Mayonnaise Dressing". It has only 15 cal / 1g of fat per tablespoon, but tastes disgusting, and should not be eaten by anybody.
  • Tralee1111
    Tralee1111 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I use the fat free mayo. It tastes fine, so if that is a better option. I also use more mustard, especially for tuna salad.

One yummy thing for pitas is to mix horseradish into your "sauce." It adds a nice kick and a different taste.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Making it yourself should help - at least you know you'll be getting extra virgin olive oil!
  • spaztastic13
    Options
    Ive heard of some people using plain greek yougart....
  • tgbjr1973
    Options
    I mix half greek yogurt with half Hellman's light mayo. Adds protein and cuts back on the cals and fat. I do the same with things that call for sour cream (half greek yogurt mixed with half light sour cream). The taste is still good to me.
  • RocknnRobin
    RocknnRobin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    nothing beats hummus on a pita :love: they were made for each other. A little dense in calories and fat, but unlike mayo it's a healthy olive oil base and includes fiber, and it's sooo tasty with turkey and chicken.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt. Great substitute.
  • moe1966
    moe1966 Posts: 5
    Options
    wholly guacamole 100 calorie packs are great for on the go and with veggies. Greek yogurt also good with a little ranch seasoning powder in it for a yummy dip/condiment.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'm a "full fat" mayo kind of girl .. I find ways to make it work in my daily calories. BUT, I've heard a lot of good things about the Hellmans/Best Foods Olive Oil mayo.

Greek yogurt is also really awesome for salads like this.
  • GillyWI
    Options
    Thanks to all, I have some good ideas to use. The recipe for the chicken pita, for a quick lunch, is this:
    1 1/2 c. cubed cooked chicken breast
    1/2 c. shredded carrot
    1/2 c. diced celery
    1/3 c. seedless raisins
    2 1/2 tbsp. plain low fat yogurt
    2 tbsp. reduced calorie Italian dressing
    2 (6 inch) whole wheat pita bread rounds, halved

How does that sound?? How can I calculate the calories, is there some web-based calculator that would make it easy? Some calories I can get off the packages i use I know.

The tuna pita recipe is from the Pita manufacturer (Kangaroo) and sounds great, that one just uses light mayo, my wife and I are both fine with Miracle Whip Lite, have used it for years.

To clarify I would have one 1/2 of a pita pocket for lunch, not the whole "round". Will probably bring a few veggies to munch with it and some skim milk.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    hummus is a good substitute. i don't know how it is on calories/fat but I know it's not bad for you and it's "good" fat
  • GillyWI
    Options
    Oh one thing I wanted to mention on that chicken recipe, is that I found in the store "Butterball Everyday Turkey Breast Strips" which I am using in place of chicken, the calories are much lower than the cubed chicken product I have bought before (pays to check).
    It is a 6oz package, I am thinking this will be sufficient for the 1 1/2 cups the recipe calls for. The serving size is 3 oz, which is 90 cals and 40mg cholesterol, but in this recipe you will only get 1/2 of that (serving size will become 1.5oz. Very low in fat, 1G in 3oz, so .5 in this recipe, sodium as you might expect is a little high, 750mg in 3ox so 325 in a serving.