At Goal Weight- Noticing Belly Bulge

Options
I'm 5'2 and after a year, I've lost 16 pounds and at my goal weight. In the spring, I decided to go pescatarian and I feel a lot better. The problem is I'm lazy about having food available in the house (I'm retired) and intermittent fast until about 1-2 pm in the afternoon. I'll have a healthy sandwich and sometimes eat dinner. Not many calories, but I'm not hungry. But.....lately, I've noticed my belly bulging. I haven't gained weight, so I don't understand why.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What is the measurement change for that area?
  • evergreenlakegirl
    evergreenlakegirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you middlehaitch....guess it could be a number of things....I'll keep an eye on it...I'm thinking its the carbs....cheese.....excess cauliflower.....
    I realize I'm not eating enough....but I'm not hungry...except at that 1-2pm mark....before or after not much. If I feel like I should eat, I'll have peanut butter on toast with banana. Also, I like hummus in between if I think I need the calories.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower (and every single other cruciferous vegetable now) has decided to bloat me in my older age. I used to be able to eat it as much as I wanted, now I look at it and it makes me bloat to 5 months pregnant.

I doubt the culprit is "evil carbs", but it could be cauliflower.

I also think perhaps you need to eat more.

And also agree with the post above re all the things like looking down at yourself and all that.
  • evergreenlakegirl
    Options
    you gave me a lot to think about.....I know I'm not getting enough macro or micro nutrients the way that I eat. When I know I'm going out to play golf I have to force myself to eat something in the morning; the bites are slow. After reading your post, I thought I could break down the food into small portions and eat over the course of an hour. Funny because I use to eat large quantities of food- The Hungry Man Breakfast at my local cafe, which was 2 eggs, pancakes, bacon, toast with butter, and home fries. Yikes! I don't even know how I put that much food in my belly at one time- ha....my friend use to look at me like I was crazy.
  • evergreenlakegirl
    Options
    lorrpb- Actually I haven't checked. My pants fit the same, but "before" my ribs would show more, and would concave.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Womona wrote: »
    If your belly is bulging very recently, but you changed your eating habits 5 months ago, a trip to the doctor may be in order. You could be retaining fluid in your abdomen due to any number of issues (liver, etc). Also decreased appetite is common in seniors, but again, if it’s pretty new, it’s a change that warrants a trip to the doctor. Good luck!

I completely agree with this! Low appetite and abdominal bloating could be nothing or something that needs a doctor to diagnosis. Make an appointment.
  • erinam92
    erinam92 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice regarding the bulging belly but have you considered having your food delivered? Most supermarkets deliver these days and some offer free delivery. It takes the hassle out of shopping and will mean there is more food readily available.

Also if you're finding it difficult to eat your calories you could always drink them. It's a good way of getting extra calories without having to force yourself to eat when you're not hungry.