Struggling

Options
Just starting and having issues with evening munching!! Arghhhh!!!

Replies

• potatoebug
    potatoebug Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you! Just ate a lot of popcorn and immediately felt guilty. But it's ok to mess up, especially in the beginning! No one is immediately perfect at anything, a healthy lifestyle included.
  • cdubks88
    cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Getting the munchies is pretty natural, it's what we end up munching on that makes a difference. There are a lot of folks here that have a lot of experience with dieting and exercise as well as know the struggles, so just know you're not alone.

Hydrate a lot. Water can help fill those gaps. I know it may not sound as appealing as something to eat, but it can help subside some of the cravings/munchies.....

Best of luck on your progress! Be sure to reach out if/when you need it. There are a lot of people here who have a lot of knowledge/experience to help support you!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Are you keeping your calories so low during the day that you end up starving at night?

People are different. Some people need a large breakfast to feel full all day. For some people, eating early just makes them hungrier all day. Do some experimenting and see what works for you.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    When I have the munchies at night I try very hard to think about why I really want to eat something...and nine out of ten times it is because I am avoiding doing something I dont want to....such as go to bed or swap laundry etc. Such a mind bend! It is very rarely about hunger. I use the water strategy or if it wont leave me, i grab protein rich item which satisfies. You can win the battle!
  • dsllowe3
    dsllowe3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find having a cup of tea an hour or so after dinner helps. Usually chamomile so I am not up all night.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Just starting and having issues with evening munching!! Arghhhh!!!
    1. Make sure you aren't trying to lose weight too fast. If you are under-eating, no amount of tricks will keep you from being hungry.
    2. Make sure you aren't over restricting what foods you eat. If you are unnecessarily avoiding all your fave foods, it's hard to keep that up. You might want to consider fitting some treats into your calories and not make it tougher than it needs to be.
    3. Check to see if your protein, fat, and fiber goals are being met. Some combo of those three is generally filling for people, so bringing up any stragglers might help.
    4. Try pre-logging and saving calories for an after dinner snack. I typically eat a 150-250 calorie snack that I save calories for. I weigh out my portion, log it, then take it back to the couch and eat it.
    5. If I've already used up my calories, I'll usually have a Dove dark chocolate Promise with a cup of green tea, or a diet soda. I also find brushing my teeth helps to tell my brain I'm done :smiley: