Re-watching Biggest Loser after losing 20 lbs; It's so toxic.

Options
For a reason I can no longer remember I've been rewatching episodes of Biggest Loser this weekend. I was obsessed with this show when I was at my fattest. It was one of those things I would watch and use as an excuse for why I wasn't losing weight despite eating healthy and vegan, because I could never exercise like that. But I still loved the show, and thought that was what it would take to lose weight.

Now, watching episodes of untrained people being pushed to exercise until they collapse or puke, all while having abuse screamed at them? And the only nutritional advice that get's repeated is "Eat Subways". And it is so toxic. No wonder they all ended up gaining weight again after the show with how it doesn't seem like they learn anything to bring into thir real lives.

And Jillian Michaels is the worst.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Participating on the MFP forums has ruined Biggest Loser for me.

Also Stephen King's "Thinner".

😂
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Just saw a commercial for Biggest Loser. The show is coming back in 2020.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    The sad truth is that over 80% of people who lose weight gain the weight back within 5 years, no matter how they lost the weight. Some gain even more than they lost. None of us are immune. Learning new eating habits and following them for your lifetime isn’t easy for anyone. It takes diligence and perseverance.

Getting back to OP. I agree. It’s a demeaning and bullying show, but most reality shows are.

Yes ma'am... most people are unwilling to give up the pleasures of the palate..
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    The sad truth is that over 80% of people who lose weight gain the weight back within 5 years, no matter how they lost the weight. Some gain even more than they lost. None of us are immune. Learning new eating habits and following them for your lifetime isn’t easy for anyone. It takes diligence and perseverance.

Getting back to OP. I agree. It’s a demeaning and bullying show, but most reality shows are.

Yes ma'am... most people are unwilling to give up the pleasures of the palate..

I would argue it's not that simple (I mean, we have to eat).

Plus, one of the horrible messages about eating healthy is that it has to be boring, bland, and lackluster. '

Also not saying there shouldn't be accountability and people need to make good choices. But it's easy to be fooled into thinking something is healthy (or not).

Agreed, though simple, homemade food can be both healthier and satisfying. It's all a matter of prospective. Yes ,it is that easy.