5k Swimming Challenge

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    This thread is great fun to follow :smile: I'm not swimming at the moment because the pool is closed for replastering. It will open after 6 weeks. Gah! As an adult learner, I'm hoping I'm also not an adult "forgetter." I' super hopeful that there will be some muscle memory in me when I return in October. The most I have ever swum was 81 laps, and the next day, I was ravenous. I'm not even sure how I kept going. My basic minimum is 45. Kind of arbitrary, but I lift, run and do a deep water interval training class too, so I don't often get enough time to do more than that.

Keep going @LeiLaura ! It's super fun to hear about your progress!

Oh, and how do you like the mp3 player? I got a waterproof iPod from Santa a few years ago and I absolutely LOVE it. I just had to get used to NOT singing while I swim, lol :lol:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    This thread is great fun to follow :smile: I'm not swimming at the moment because the pool is closed for replastering. It will open after 6 weeks. Gah! As an adult learner, I'm hoping I'm also not an adult "forgetter." I' super hopeful that there will be some muscle memory in me when I return in October. The most I have ever swum was 81 laps, and the next day, I was ravenous. I'm not even sure how I kept going. My basic minimum is 45. Kind of arbitrary, but I lift, run and do a deep water interval training class too, so I don't often get enough time to do more than that.

Oh, and how do you like the mp3 player? I got a waterproof iPod from Santa a few years ago and I absolutely LOVE it. I just had to get used to NOT singing while I swim, lol :lol:

Sounds you have enough experience that your muscle memory will be there for you!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Ugh! How do you swim that far without goggles! My nose piece broke halfway through my swim one day and I was like "Welp, I guess I am done for the day!". :p Moral of the story...have a backup pair. ;)
    I bet your times get even better once you grab some!

Seriously!!
  • LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member

Oh, thank you so much, I really appreciate the support! You guys are all so helpful and motivating :)

That sucks that your local pool is closed, I couldn't go that long without a swim nowadays (says I, who didn't swim for 3 years until six weeks ago!). I'm sure your muscles will remember, though. After a couple of swims it will feel more like it used to. Probably took about a fortnight for me to get my performance back up after the long gap, and I feel stronger with every swim. Good luck, keep us posted!

As for the MP3 player, it's GREAT! the ear plugs don't fall out, and the band stays put on the back of my head (sometimes I have to adjust it a few times to find the right position, but a couple of lengths in and it's fine). The music is clear, and can be a decent volume without being heard by anyone else. Felt really weird the first time I went in the water wearing tech, though! I've been playing the Bridget Jones movie soundtrack on it, it's pretty upbeat, and perfect for swimming :) This is it here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/your-orders/pop/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_pop?_encoding=UTF8&gen=canonical&lineItemId=jhpgmomsoloquoy&orderId=205-5351398-2041147&packageId=1&returnSummaryId=&returnUnitIndices=&shipmentId=DCpHGkPhF

And here is the finger counter I wear so I don't have to remember how many laps I've swum!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/ya/ref=yo_ii_bia_view?ie=UTF8&ac=bia&reorder_params=B000R3X0AC,205-9657297-4469145

The Great Goggle Hunt is ongoing (on the plus side, I did find my daughter's!), but if they don't turn up, after much research, I'm going to get these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07PJPHV89/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A3PZJVC0L6PR4O&psc=1

As for the hair, I'm going to try Acquaguard + disposable shower cap + the swimming shampoo and conditioner + this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07V363FH9/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=A33JA74I6B2GDJ&psc=1

Out of interest, does anyone use a nose plug? I haven't felt the need, but wondering if I'm missing out like with the goggles...

Thanks, everyone! And thanks again @girlwirhcurls, I hope you can get swimming again soon.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    How's it going?
    You got goggles yet? :D
  • LeiLaura
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    How's it going?
    You got goggles yet? :D

Not yet!! I might give it a go with my daughter's in the morning, but if that fails, I'll have to wait till pay day to get some more... Been frustrated this week, as only got to the pool once because of work. Hope I haven't taken a step backwards tomorrow! Thanks for checking in :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    You reminded me that I need to buy new goggles and a lap counter before the pool re-opens! My lap counter died. I can't see the one you posted, but I'm guessing it's similar. It's a ring and it's really accurate (assuming I remember to click it when I turn around, that is). I buy all of my stuff from swimoutlet.com. If you're in the UK, I'm not sure that's possible for you, but stuff is cheap. I even get suits really cheap because they have a "grab bag." They put all of the old styles/colors into this category and you only choose your size and style. You get what you get, and you can't return. I've never been disappointed. I even tried the Speedo prescription goggles for $18 and they're great. I couldn't drive home with them on, but they allow me to see the clock, or the end of the lane when someone joins in without letting me know.

Hopefully you're getting more swims in this week, @LeiLaura . And come on over to the swimmers group! It's a little quiet right now, but we're a friendly bunch and very encouraging :heart:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2019
    I've been fortunate to have the time and opportunity to do a lot of open water swimming this summer in the lake where are triathlon group trains . I completed 28 swims for a total of 25 miles, plus another 2.4 miles in triathlon/swim events this summer. It was so much fun and such progress from last summer when I struggled to maintain my composure during the lake swims. Today was likely my last swim of the season because the temps are dropping and I'll be gone next week. Such fun! Now it's back to masters swim at the pool for the winter.

Completing .9 mi swim up river & down river in Columbia River aqua bike event.
    24d42thi9hd5.jpg

Practice swim in Columbia River before event
    ehphkgn9elxx.jpg

Wildcat Lake where we train
    8luhbf48ve3f.jpg

With some of my training buddies before a morning swim at Wildcat lake
    kilxw624kkd3.jpg
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    Let us know how long you take... I am going to go with well over 1 hour, probably in the 2 hour window. My niece, a competitive swimmer was the only female to finish her 5k swim (1 50 mins without stopping), the only other one to finish in under 2 hours was a 15 year old male that is a competitive swimmer, he finished before she did.
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I've been fortunate to have the time and opportunity to do a lot of open water swimming this summer in the lake where are triathlon group trains . I completed 28 swims for a total of 25 miles, plus another 2.4 miles in triathlon/swim events this summer. It was so much fun and such progress from last summer when I struggled to maintain my composure during the lake swims. Today was likely my last swim of the season because the temps are dropping and I'll be gone next week. Such fun! Now it's back to masters swim at the pool for the winter.

Love the photos!

• surfbug808
    @lorrpb pointed out this thread (thanks @lorrpb !) I swim for recreation, but do enjoy improvement of endurance and distance. That's a great idea to use the MP3 player in the pool. I never thought of that. Since I mostly ocean swim, the marine life keeps me interested (if not occasionally distracted) and makes the time go by fast without any boredom. I've never used gels or anything to replenish myself during a swim, but only after I get to shore. I usually swim about a mile+ or 2km for fun. With the inspiration of a challenge, I'll look into what I can take with me to rehydrate to go for longer distances! Will follow this thread to see what else other swimmers are up to. Great job on keeping up with swimming @LeiLaura and keep us all posted!

As for nose plugs, I tried them for distance swimming and didn't like them. When I would take a breath, for whatever reason more water got into my mouth. Also, I feel better being able to breath thru my nose underwater. But, it does seem to help me with free-diving.
  • LeiLaura
    You reminded me that I need to buy new goggles and a lap counter before the pool re-opens! My lap counter died. I can't see the one you posted, but I'm guessing it's similar. It's a ring and it's really accurate (assuming I remember to click it when I turn around, that is). I buy all of my stuff from swimoutlet.com. If you're in the UK, I'm not sure that's possible for you, but stuff is cheap. I even get suits really cheap because they have a "grab bag." They put all of the old styles/colors into this category and you only choose your size and style. You get what you get, and you can't return. I've never been disappointed. I even tried the Speedo prescription goggles for $18 and they're great. I couldn't drive home with them on, but they allow me to see the clock, or the end of the lane when someone joins in without letting me know.

Hopefully you're getting more swims in this week, @LeiLaura . And come on over to the swimmers group! It's a little quiet right now, but we're a friendly bunch and very encouraging :heart:

Ooh, thank you, I'll check out both the link and the group! I'm still swimming and MY NEW GOGGLES HAVE ARRIVED! Going to try to swim a new record this week :)
  • LeiLaura
    lorrpb wrote: »

Completing .9 mi swim up river & down river in Columbia River aqua bike event.
    24d42thi9hd5.jpg

Practice swim in Columbia River before event
    ehphkgn9elxx.jpg

Wildcat Lake where we train
    8luhbf48ve3f.jpg

With some of my training buddies before a morning swim at Wildcat lake
    kilxw624kkd3.jpg

Oh wow, well done! It looks beautiful there
  • LeiLaura
    erickirb wrote: »
    Let us know how long you take... I am going to go with well over 1 hour, probably in the 2 hour window. My niece, a competitive swimmer was the only female to finish her 5k swim (1 50 mins without stopping), the only other one to finish in under 2 hours was a 15 year old male that is a competitive swimmer, he finished before she did.

1 hour 50 mins! That's amazing! What stroke did she do?
  • LeiLaura
    surfbug808 wrote: »
    @lorrpb pointed out this thread (thanks @lorrpb !) I swim for recreation, but do enjoy improvement of endurance and distance. That's a great idea to use the MP3 player in the pool. I never thought of that. Since I mostly ocean swim, the marine life keeps me interested (if not occasionally distracted) and makes the time go by fast without any boredom. I've never used gels or anything to replenish myself during a swim, but only after I get to shore. I usually swim about a mile+ or 2km for fun. With the inspiration of a challenge, I'll look into what I can take with me to rehydrate to go for longer distances! Will follow this thread to see what else other swimmers are up to. Great job on keeping up with swimming @LeiLaura and keep us all posted!

As for nose plugs, I tried them for distance swimming and didn't like them. When I would take a breath, for whatever reason more water got into my mouth. Also, I feel better being able to breath thru my nose underwater. But, it does seem to help me with free-diving.

Thank you so much for for the support, and for joining the thread! Yes, I've come to the same conclusion re nose plugs, but I do love my MP3 player. For some reason, I find listening to the Bridget Jones movie soundtrack highly motivating when I swim! Trying out my new goggles today, will see if I can swim for longer...
  • girlwithcurls2
    I ordered new goggles and a new lap counter (mine died). And I just found out the the pool opening has been pushed out by another week, and likely to be more than that. It's already been closed for 4 weeks, now looking at 3 more, at least :disappointed: I'm going a bit bananas, but spending more time lifting and with my family. They're so happy to eat dinner at 6pm instead of our usual 8pm!
  • LeiLaura
    I ordered new goggles and a new lap counter (mine died). And I just found out the the pool opening has been pushed out by another week, and likely to be more than that. It's already been closed for 4 weeks, now looking at 3 more, at least :disappointed: I'm going a bit bananas, but spending more time lifting and with my family. They're so happy to eat dinner at 6pm instead of our usual 8pm!

Oh dear, that must be driving you mad having to wait! Will cross my fingers that it opens soon...
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    @LeiLaura How did your goggle work out?
  • LeiLaura

They're great, thanks! Still trying to get the tension just right as they're a bit tight still, but MUCH better than using my little girl's! Thank you for asking :)
  • surfbug808
    LeiLaura wrote: »

They're great, thanks! Still trying to get the tension just right as they're a bit tight still, but MUCH better than using my little girl's! Thank you for asking :)

I'm not a goggle expert, and have normally just bought what I think are called "leisure" goggles. I didn't care what color, as long as I felt the suction. But since then I've used tinted (especially when the sun is at a bright time of day and I need to sight distances, or just see where I'm going for that matter), and competition goggles. The latter are so much lighter and comfortable for me. I don't compete, so I'm not using them to streamline or gain speed or whatever, but because they are less bulky, I prefer them. I snorkel too, which uses a mask. I don't swim in the mask, but a friend of mine who does long-distance uses that (I'm not sure why).