Initial massive success but now expecting a slowdown!

Options
Hi all

I’m David (43 year old from London currently weighing 245lb - 6ft tall)

Week 1 - 4lb
Week 2 - 7lb
Week 3 - 4lb
Week 4 - 4lb

Awaiting weigh in on Monday for week 5.

My question is. from your experience when should I expect a slow down in loss after body has regulated water levels?

Thanks all

David

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Well done, old chap! My experience tells me: "Expect the unexpected!" You are on your way, you are feeling good, you are doing something for yourself and you have nothing to lose - except some weight. Just imagine where you will be by the end of the year. I'll say stick with MFP, learn on the way, enjoy the ride and be proud of yourself.
  • Angelpebbles
    Angelpebbles Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your initial weightloss, that’s awesome! Everyone is different and it seems men seem to lose weight a little quicker than women (example= my hubby). I went on a strong losing weight streak for 8-8.5 weeks. In that time I was logging my food but not measuring or using my food scale. I also wasn’t exercising , so I guess that truly shows how bad my diet was. Horrifying. Now my weight has decreased but at a slow rate. I began exercising this week and I also increased my calories (my calories were 1000 a day, my body didn’t like it)..... You can do it!! You will be off to a stronger and more sensible start than me.... 😁
  • 2323FatBoy
    2323FatBoy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your initial weightloss, that’s awesome! Everyone is different and it seems men seem to lose weight a little quicker than women (example= my hubby). I went on a strong losing weight streak for 8-8.5 weeks. In that time I was logging my food but not measuring or using my food scale. I also wasn’t exercising , so I guess that truly shows how bad my diet was. Horrifying. Now my weight has decreased but at a slow rate. I began exercising this week and I also increased my calories (my calories were 1000 a day, my body didn’t like it)..... You can do it!! You will be off to a stronger and more sensible start than me.... 😁

Thank you and good luck with your journey
  • Angelpebbles
    Angelpebbles Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    If you check your expected loss using your diary deficits, you can get an estimate of how much of it was actually water weight.

If a significant portion was water weight, you can expect a slow down anytime now.

If your diary deficits match your actual loss, you’re being too aggressive and should up your calories.

You should be aiming for about 2lbs, maybe 2.5lbs in your case, using the 1% rule.

PS Still want to congratulate you on your efforts and scale success. Well done. You’re already expecting a slow down, which means your head’s in the right place, but if the scales stop dropping the math can help make sense of it all.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    Water weight comes and goes regularly. After four weeks you can just settle in for the long game now.

The scale fluctuations are going to happen and it is more about stress levels, sleep, hydration, salt intake, exercise, travel, high temperatures, inflammation, illness etc.

Just keep logging, keep your head and relax.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Well done :smile: the lose will probably slow off from now, if it doesn't it actually means your calorie deficit is too high - 2lbs max recommended loss per week and that needs to drop to 0.5-1lb when 20lbs away from goal weight. Your aim is to hold onto muscle mass and too aggressive a calorie deficit will mean too much muscle will be lost.