How accurate are MFP calorie estimation

Options
Hi, just wondering how accurate people have found MFP’s calorie goal for you in order to loose weight.

I’m 23, 5f6” and 135lbs and looking to go down to about 125/126 pounds.

Originally I set my calorie goal at 1200, but quickly realised this wasn’t sustainable, I upped it to 1350, but then checked what MFP was setting for me and it was 1440. I exercise 4-5 times a week for 45 minutes, and have an active job where I’m on my feet a lot.

Have people lost weight when using MFP’s calories? Or do they change it and set their own goals? I thought 1440 was a little high, but maybe I’m wrong.

Thanks.

Replies

• StaciMarie2020
    StaciMarie2020 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Its accurate if the info you plug in is accurate. If you're on your active job, on your feet a good bit: you burn more calories from daily activity than if you were sitting at a desk job all the time.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    They are statistically accurate for a great number of people. No system can be accurate for everyone.

You won't gain weight at 1440 so why not just give it a try for a month or so and see what happens?
  • smithsusan961
    smithsusan961 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    https://tdeecalculator.net is the best source of information I have found.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    It's working great for me. I'm very happy with my results so far. Trust it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hi, just wondering how accurate people have found MFP’s calorie goal for you in order to loose weight.

Originally I set my calorie goal at 1200, but quickly realised this wasn’t sustainable, I upped it to 1350, but then checked what MFP was setting for me and it was 1440. I exercise 4-5 times a week for 45 minutes, and have an active job where I’m on my feet a lot.

Have people lost weight when using MFP’s calories? Or do they change it and set their own goals? I thought 1440 was a little high, but maybe I’m wrong.

Thanks.

Are you eating back exercise calories? With MFP, you're supposed to.

MFP target plus exercise calories was pretty accurate for me, when I was using that method.

As to the bolded, 1440 sounds LOW!!! I'm 5'9, 44 years old, not as active as you are, and can lose on 2000 calories a day.
  • niamhgordon1
    niamhgordon1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Thanks.

Are you eating back exercise calories? With MFP, you're supposed to.

MFP target plus exercise calories was pretty accurate for me, when I was using that method.

As to the bolded, 1440 sounds LOW!!! I'm 5'9, 44 years old, not as active as you are, and can lose on 2000 calories a day.

I don’t eat back exercise calories because I did this in the past and found I didn’t loose as much, and I have my settings set as lightly active, because even though I exercise a lot during the week, it’s only walking and not strenuous gym exercises, so I don’t want to over estimate. Thanks though!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Thanks.

Curious what experience level you have with knowing calorie burn amount, eaten amounts, diets, ect?
    Ever logged what you ate for a few days to get an idea of what you are/were eating?

You'll have a fight trying to get to that low a weight too - hopefully you selected 0.5 lb rate of weekly loss.

If your only experience with calorie levels is ads for diets - forget that.
  • niamhgordon1
    niamhgordon1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What rate of loss did you choose to get that 1440? With only ~10 lbs to lose you should be aiming for about 0.5 lbs/week.

As others have said, MFP is based off of NEAT so even though you likely are lightly active in your day to day, you should be logging and eating back a portion of purposeful exercise as well.

Lastly, MFP is accurate if you’re accurate. Not only with your initial estimated but also with your logging of intake. Are you weighing your food with a food scale?

Also for what it’s worth I’m 5’2 and lost my weight with a 1600 NET goal eating back those calories.

Thanks for your reply, and I said 1 lb a week as that seems to be the standard rate
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "How accurate are MFP calorie estimation"

Probably more accurate than most people's calorie logging. But of course that estimate depends on people using the goal set up correctly (which you aren't) and using the tool as designed (which you also aren't doing).

My experience was that it seemed to be out by about 200 cals/day but I also deliberately picked a fairly relaxed but consistent way to log my food and exercise. I adjusted after a month and lost on the predicted schedule.

1440 sounds very low for someone who "exercises 4-5 times a week for 45 minutes, and have an active job where I’m on my feet a lot."

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,718 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    MFP's estimate is a reasonably sound, research-based statistical estimate based on limited input variables. The standard deviation in the population isn't very huge (for BMR/RMR) so a lot hinges on the accuracy of your activity setting and exercise calorie estimates.

Because of the relatively small standard deviation, if someone's settings/estimates/logging are accurate, MFP's likely to be close for most people, off (high or low) for a few, and kind of far off for a very, very few . . . because that's the nature of statistical estimates.

That said: MFP's estimate for me was very low, even with accurate activity settings/logging/exercise. I lost weight way too fast at first, and had to add several hundred calories to regain normal energy level and strength, and even after that I lost fairly rapidly.

As an individual, your best strategy IMO is to believe MFP (and eat back a reasonable estimate of exercise) for about 4-6 weeks of careful logging, then adjust based on results. If you seem to be loosing very fast after a couple of weeks, and alongside that start feeling fatigued or weak, eat more. Otherwise, stick with it for the whole 4-6 weeks (at least a full menstrual cycle for premenopausal women). Losing too slowly can be frustrating, but losing too rapidly can be a health risk.

A lot of women think they need to eat punitively low calories (1200 or fewer). Some smaller, older, less active, less muscular women do need to eat quite lightly to lose weight, but not everyone does. The blog below is an excellent read on the subject:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

tl;dr: Believe MFP. Adjust after 6 weeks of compliance, based on results.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    MFP set my initial goal to 1240 to lose .5 lb/week. Then it lowered it to 1220. I calculated after about 8 weeks and I was losing faster than that, so I increased my goal to 1300. I'm pretty happy with the 1300.

I'm 5'3", 54, and currently weigh 133 lbs (higher than I have stated before here due to a new scale) down from 142.5 lbs.
  • Angelpebbles
    Angelpebbles Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I know the estimates on the gym equipment isn’t accurate. I appreciate the information that you shared
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    The estimates on the gym equipment tend to be way off because MFP doesn't know the level or intensity that you worked out at, but I think the estimates it gives for walking are accurate.

OP,I can burn quite a few calories a day by 'only' walking. You should track those walks and eat the calories. With so little to lose, you don't want to go too fast.